• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anal Retentive Folks Help Me Out...

oak

Let it burn...
Here's a super basic question:

When sending loose cigars via the mail (2 sets of 3 cigars to a single destination) what's the best way to mail them?

I was assuming that I'd put each set of 3 cigars in their own ziplock bag, then wrap the zip relatively firmly in bubble-wrap to allow for no movement (does something need to be in between the 3 cigars in the zip?) Then put the 2 wrapped bags into a box with some peanuts as a buffer (also firmly packed). Planning on using priority mail with tracking number, etc.

My main questions:

1) When sending multiple types of cigars, is it necessary to put them into separate zips;
2) Does there need to be any buffer between the 3 cigars inside of a zip, or can they be packed relatively firmly together?
3) Is this enough protection overall, or will these get destroyed?

I know - stupid question - but I'm about to participate in my first trade... and I don't want to send shattered soldiers in exchange for perfect specimans. Also had a feeling/guess there are some strong feelings on the matter among the users here...? Or am I overanalyzing or overestimating the anal retentiveness among my new cigar geek comrades... ;)

Cheers,

- Oak

oak,

sounds like you've got the problem licked. They should be protected enough. Not sure about where you're at or where you're mailing to, but if it's super dry in your neck-o-the-woods, you might want to consider a humidistick or some such device (some even put a damp (not wet or dripping - just damp) paper towel around the outside of the ziplock and enclose the whole thing in another baggie) to keep the moisture up. Priority mail would normally get your stuff where it belongs fast enough not to worry (stress usually) but tis the season....

As for protection, sounds like you'll have 'em wrapped up just fine. Just send me a test batch and I'll let you know how they turn out! :0 :D

I put as many as 10 assorted cigars into one ziplock bag... you don't have to bag each cigar individually when sending trades or bombs. Now... if your cigars were going into a box pass then I'd definitely put one cigar per bag.

Bubble wrap and/or packing peanuts are great to keep the cigars from moving around in the box.... you already figured that one out Bro! :thumbs: :D I also like to double box... the cigars/bubblewrap/peanuts go into a USPS PM Small Video Box first... then that box is placed into the USPS PM Large Video box. This really helps to protect the cigars from being crushed.

The main thing is.... protect cigars from weather (use ziplocks).... protect them from moving in the box (use bubble wrap, peanuts, etc) and make sure your outter box is sturdy (use the boxes provided by the USPS or corrugated cardboard).

Good luck with your first trade... you're off to a good start Bruddah!

Aloha,

Wade

With naked sticks, I think it's best to put each one in those 2" x 8" individual bags available from veripak. If you don't have any of those, you can roll each naked stick in plastic wrap.

I just think its a good idea in order to protect the cigars during shipping.

If the sticks are not celloed I put them in individual ziplock backs.

then they all go in a big ziplock cusshioned by peanuts in a small videao cassette box as mentioned by wade. never had a problem.

I have received 1 Package that was in a ziploc and placed inside a priority box, and yes the unwrapped singles were seperately bagged.
The 2nd one I received was ziploc inside priority with foam peanuts, all of this placed in a large envelope.
Both arrived in fine condition, so I reused 2nd pac's, packing material and sent it out to someone else.

wk-mang said:
I put as many as 10 assorted cigars into one ziplock bag... you don't have to bag each cigar individually when sending trades or bombs. Now... if your cigars were going into a box pass then I'd definitely put one cigar per bag.

Bubble wrap and/or packing peanuts are great to keep the cigars from moving around in the box.... you already figured that one out Bro! :thumbs: :D I also like to double box... the cigars/bubblewrap/peanuts go into a USPS PM Small Video Box first... then that box is placed into the USPS PM Large Video box. This really helps to protect the cigars from being crushed.

The main thing is.... protect cigars from weather (use ziplocks).... protect them from moving in the box (use bubble wrap, peanuts, etc) and make sure your outter box is sturdy (use the boxes provided by the USPS or corrugated cardboard).

Good luck with your first trade... you're off to a good start Bruddah!

Aloha,

Wade
Wade does a great job packin'. You don't have to worry about them getting damaged in shipping. They may get damaged while getting the pack opened though! :p :sign:

SD_Stack said:
They may get damaged while getting the pack opened though! :p :sign:
LOL! Bruddah Steve... nobody told ya to use an axe to cut the box open!!! Why can't ya be like us city folk and use a scissors! LMAO! :0 :p :love:

Aloha,

Wade

Cigars in cellophane: one ziplock
Cigars without cellophane: one ziplock
Never the twain shall meet!

No more than 5-6 cigars per zip unless they're real skinny.

Both baggies wrapped in bubble in a small USPS box.

Larger amounts go in correspondingly larger USPS boxes with bubble wrap AND peanuts.

Shake the box; if you can't hear anything moving, you're good. Or at least, no one's PM'd me with: "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING OF!!! I"VE GOT 2 BAGGIES OF COPENHAGEN HERE!!!"

:sign:

I think it is remarkable that this thread starts out with an invitation for anal retentive people to respond, and it was like moths to the flame. :D No one even protested being called anal retentive. Remarkable. I wonder what kind of response there would be to a thread titled: "Hey a$$holes. Help me out!" :D :p :sign: :sign: