• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anejo 55s

cigarsarge

BOHICA
I recently received several Anejo 55s from this years release. Fuente says their cigars are ready to smoke when shipped. Would they improve much with further aging? Would I be ok to smoke them now?

cigah_smoka said:
Smoke it now!! :D
bah... from the guy who is hoarding cigars with 10 year old tobacco in 'em... better wait another month, it'll get better!! :D

Non Isom's do a really good job (big generalization there) of providing a pretty good product. They often use aged tobaco and often age the sticks after rolling as well. They tend to be pretty good off the shelf. Cuba doesn't take the time to age anything as cash straped as they are so thats why aging is such a big huge issue with them. They just roll everything they can gro and ship out almost as fast as it can get into the boxes.

Any stick will change as it ages. First at least give it time to climatize in your humidor, couple weeks should do, but after that it's all a matter of your taste. I never intentionally age non-Isom's myself. If someone has great results aging non-isom's I'd like to hear about it myself.

I'd have to agree with cohibasurfer, smoke one now and save the rest for special occasions. Bury them deep in a humi and see how they age, can't hurt..... :D :thumbs: :p

gibu said:
Non Isom's do a really good job (big generalization there) of providing a pretty good product. They often use aged tobaco and often age the sticks after rolling as well. They tend to be pretty good off the shelf. Cuba doesn't take the time to age anything as cash straped as they are so thats why aging is such a big huge issue with them. They just roll everything they can gro and ship out almost as fast as it can get into the boxes.

Any stick will change as it ages. First at least give it time to climatize in your humidor, couple weeks should do, but after that it's all a matter of your taste. I never intentionally age non-Isom's myself. If someone has great results aging non-isom's I'd like to hear about it myself.
Seems like everything I buy from JR's needs ageing. They keep everything so wet that the actual time it takes to dry out to me prefernced is probably in the order of 2-3 months. Sometimes you'll get a box with age though and actually smoke ok being wet. Just my experience with JR's.

Emo

I think one shall be smoked asap and the rest will be saved for later. Thanks for the input. :D

emodx said:
gibu said:

Seems like everything I buy from JR's needs ageing. They keep everything so wet that the actual time it takes to dry out to me prefernced is probably in the order of 2-3 months. Sometimes you'll get a box with age though and actually smoke ok being wet. Just my experience with JR's.

Emo
The JR Ultimates have a year of aging on them (post -rolled) and they are pretty good within a few weeks (time to get the humidity stabilized).

Emo do you stabilize your sticks more slowly? Or do you just err to the side of caution?

Nearly every cigar will improve with age. I've gotten to the point where I don't like smoking anything less then a year old. I've been disappointed by even the most premium of domestic cigars smoked young. Try a PAM, VSG or OpusX with a couple years on it and you'll see what I mean.

Lumberg said:
emodx said:
gibu said:
Non Isom's do a really good job (big generalization there) of providing a pretty good product.  They often use aged tobaco and often age the sticks after rolling as well.  They tend to be pretty good off the shelf.  Cuba doesn't take the time to age anything as cash straped as they are so thats why aging is such a big huge issue with them.  They just roll everything they can gro and ship out almost as fast as it can get into the boxes.

Any stick will change as it ages.  First at least give it time to climatize in your humidor, couple weeks should do, but after that it's all a matter of your taste.  I never intentionally age non-Isom's myself.  If someone has great results aging non-isom's I'd like to hear about it myself.

Emo
The JR Ultimates have a year of aging on them (post -rolled) and they are pretty good within a few weeks (time to get the humidity stabilized).

Emo do you stabilize your sticks more slowly? Or do you just err to the side of caution?
Nope, I throw them into the fridgedor that's sitting at %65.

I vote with Craig on this one., with the exception that true dog rockets don't benefit in fact I think they deteriourate. I've had some real stinkers/cheapies in the coolers for over a year and ofthen they will display cracking and flaking at storage humidities.

Either the leaf was lousy to begin with, or the moisture was so uneven at the time of rolling that as they evened out they couldn't stand the stress.

And let's hear it for 65%!!!!!! :sign: :thumbs:

I'd say smoke it now. I'm not sure that the benefits of aging an Anejo are noticable. By the way, if you like the 55's, I highly recommend you get a hold of a couple from the original release. They are superior to current production.

:)

cigarsarge said:
I recently received several Anejo 55s from this years release.
I noticed that the cigar shops in my region....all got 3 boxes. #46,#50, #77 . Did other areas get different sizes? I was under the impression that they only released those three this year(or technically last year. :p ) What's the skinny?

Ok...my thread jack is over...everyone else can continue with their own. :D

doohnibor said:
I'd say smoke it now. I'm not sure that the benefits of aging an Anejo are noticable. By the way, if you like the 55's, I highly recommend you get a hold of a couple from the original release. They are superior to current production.

:)
Yes, aging will make it better. I have had 2 original release Sharks that were mind blowing, life altering cigars. The newer Anejo's are pretty good, just taste a little young. That's my 2 pennies.

Emo

My cigar store owner got two boxes of 55s. They are the only ones he got this year.