• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anejo vs Opus X

MNBrian

Hi guys! Been a while!

I have a strange question and I can't really figure out the answer.

Why do I like Anejo's so much and yet don't like Opus X? Granted I've only tried the Forbidden Opus X series but they have a lot of the same binder and filler with a different wrapper from my research. You'd think I would like both if I like one.

Anyone else feel this way (strong towards one and strongly dislikes the other)?

I feel like I'm missing something that everyone else is getting. I know it's subjective. Just wanted to see if anyone else feels this way!

Also, just got back from a month of traveling the U.S. And it was awesome! Glad to be back on the forums!

Not surprising. Two very different cigars.

Doc

Yeah, not a lot of actual similarity there.  Opus have a Rosado wrapper and Anejo have a barrel-cured one.

~Boar

Just goes to show how much influence the wrapper has on flavor.

I like both but definitely like the anejo better. They are different flavors though and I can understand why one might have a taste for one and not the other.

Good! Glad to hear I'm not crazy!

I guess this is as clear an indication as I've ever experienced that the wrapper does make a massive difference. Time to buy a box of Anjeo's and sell off these pesky Opus X! :)

Thanks all!

Another cigar that you can taste the difference in wrapper is the Cromagnon and Aquitaine from Roma Craft. Same binder and filler just different wrapper. Among others.

I've had a number of anejos but I've still yet to try the Opus X's since I've heard they age remarkably well and that for some people, they only become smokable after a good about of time.  I've got some sitting around waiting for them to hit 5 years (in 2016).

I'm in the same boat; I really dig Anejo's.  OpusX's....not so much.

Wait until you try an Anejo with half a decade or more of age on it....now, there's some blissful smoking.

BlindedByScience said:
I'm in the same boat; I really dig Anejo's.  OpusX's....not so much.

Wait until you try an Anejo with half a decade or more of age on it....now, there's some blissful smoking.
This is one of those "smoke what you like" topics.    I love me some Opus X, and with age on them they turn into something golden. 

However, I do enjoy Anejo, and I'd never turn one down, but if given the choice......Opus everytime for me. 

Both are great cigars with age and I'd take either of them.  I'll buy either of them, if I run across them at my local B&Ms.  

Do Anejo and Opus have the same binder/filler?  I don't think they do.  Yes, both are Dominican binder/fillered cigars, but thats not really the whole picture.  The Dominican Republic has numerous growing regions each with their own distinct characteristics.  Additionally, the binders could be completely different variety of leaf, different parings... lots and lots of things that will make them different as night and day other than just the wrapper.  

Having a love affair today then I'll let you know my opinion, as it stands now I love the anejo more. Just like sweetness in cigars I guess.

I'm the opposite.  I prefer Opus over Anejo, though they are both excellent cigars!

I like my Opus fresh. So much so that I've never had one for more than a year. Maybe not that long.

Doc

Kid Montana said:
Do Anejo and Opus have the same binder/filler?  I don't think they do.  Yes, both are Dominican binder/fillered cigars, but thats not really the whole picture.  The Dominican Republic has numerous growing regions each with their own distinct characteristics.  Additionally, the binders could be completely different variety of leaf, different parings... lots and lots of things that will make them different as night and day other than just the wrapper.  
Daniel, I think they did at first according to the Anejo origin story.  Hurricane Georges wiped out all of the Opus X rosado wrapper in 1998, so went with the broadleaf that year instead.  I don't know if the filler/binder remain the same today.

I do love the crazy opus sizes, I have a LBMF that I'm tempted to throw at a dart board.

Great advice all around! Glad to know I'm not crazy and it's just a matter of taste. Seems like most people around here are pretty split!