• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anejo's (wrapped in cedar sleeve) A little reminder on mold

whopper

big freak
Here's a reminder since it's that time of year for the Anjeo's. I found some minor surface mold on a 48 as I was removing the cedar sleeves yesterday. It's best to remove the cedar sleeves in my opinion for long term storage.

Agreed. I pull the cedar on all my Anejo's before they go away for nap time.....solid advice..... :cool:

Educate me please. Is this advice specific to the Anejos for a particular reason or good advice for any cigar wrapped in cedar?

Probably good advice for any stick wrapped in cedar. But as we say in the Nuclear Power Industry, there's some Operating Experience that shows that, for whatever reason, Anejo's are particularly vulnerable to developing mold because of the cedar.

Thanks for this, this will be the first year I have enough to save and age, hopefully. I usually don't let them age because I can't stop smoking them, lol.

There was a year when a 'lost shipment' came in with a ton of sticks that were wet and lead to mold.

I keep my humi's around 65....and have had no issues.

That's not to say taking off the cedar is unwarranted...just not for me.

If I have to take the time to remove packaging, why not just send a not to Fuente and tell them there are all these issues?

I wonder if the Anejo maduro wrapper being aged in Cognac barrels has something to do with the tendency toward mold with the cedar wrap.