• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another Boon?

Burnt Tongue

No Tastebuds...
I have been around cigars for 30 years and I thought I had a good idea of cigar manufacturers and brands. I received complimentary issue of Smoke magazine the other day. I have never really read any of the cigar magazines over the years, although I have seen a few here and there. Ayway as I'm reading the current issue of Smoke I notice many ads for many cigars I have never heard of, To name some:

Don Carbone 2 full pages
Adan & Eva 1 full page
Cuban Crafters 1 full page
Chamuco 1 full page
Bucanero 1/2 page
Los Blanco 1 full page
San Martin 1 full page
E. Lavzuela Cigars 1 full page
Ego 1 full page

I have never heard of or seen any of these cigars. Am I living in a closet or is the cigar boon back with a bunch of new botique cigars? Have you guys heard or seen any of these? Do I need to get out more?

Hey brother I was reading this morning before work that the cigar boon is back.

I always saw it as "boom" too but no matter, we get the idea. Out of what you listed I've only seen one and heard of 2 :0

Well at least I don't feel to bad, that means you have not heard of most of them. By the way the only other ads I saw in that magazine were Cohiba and Fonseca. Yes, I have heard of them!

editrd for spelling

I've had the Bucanero, and Cuban Crafters Brown Label... Pretty good for the money IMO!

I've heard Bucanero makes some decent smokes. I've never heard of any of the others!

I think a version of the boom could be back. There are a lot of boutique brands hitting the market but this has been happening for at least the last 5 years. Some of these companies are founded by members of long time tobacco families and others are guys that put out a brand, lable it as limited production and charge outrageous prices. Buccanero has been around for quite a while as has Don Kiki and his Cuban Crafter brand. I think Rocky Patel is probably the most famous of the bunch right up there with Kasiad Hansotia of Gurkha. Tatuaje is another that comes to mind right away. The big difference I see is that some of these guys are putting out some pretty good cigars. The prior boom was filled(or should I say underfilled :laugh: )with shitty cigars that were selling for outrageous prices because the yuppies that were trying to be cool didn't know any better and the jackoffs that were slapping together the shitty cigars couldn't have blended a smoothie with a food processor. (I know I know......really bad analogy)
As far as some of these brands go..........some of Rocky's stuff is good. Gurkha is O.K. if you get a dedcent price on it. The Los Blancos has just been showing up around my area. I have tried a couple of the blends and they are alright but nothing spectacular. The unique thing about them is they only sell to B & M's to the best of my knowledge. They are out of Chicago and are related to the Placensias somehow.

I have had Bucanero and Cuban Crafters which I thought were ok. I really like the Ego made by CSB, but they are pretty hard to come by since the company folded.

I have read several articles that claimed that this might be the beginning of another boon/boom.
Maybe these oddballs are leftovers from the last boom that never made it to the public before the company shut down. I see a lot of oddballs that they say are leftovers from like '98 or so, they have been saving them waiting for another boom but now they are selling them as closeouts. I am mainly into lower priced cigars and have tried some. They might of been so-so at the time but now after 8-10 years stored in a cedar box, some of them are pretty good. Of course, some are just plain dog rockets. But my thing is finding the cheapest cigars that are good. I'm living on a fixed income because of some major disabilities, so the good stuff is kind of out of reach for me. But I enjoy what I can get.

Bucanero's are great.They are a "boutique" brand,like the cuban crafters stuff.Los Blancos is a family run company.I've had thier criollo torpedo,and it was pretty good.
As far as a "boom", you wouldn't know it by all flippin smoking bans and attempted bans.

I have had Bucanero and Cuban Crafters which I thought were ok. I really like the Ego made by CSB, but they are pretty hard to come by since the company folded.

They folded and have a full page ad in the current Smoke magazine?

Hey brother I was reading this morning before work that the cigar boon is back.

This is my humble opinion, there may be some elements of the boom back, but I think we are far from another one. I think the supply of tobacca is diverse and abundant which means that more makers are willing to try different blends to place on the market. The prices are therre for all range group of cigars and we have plenty access to top of the line. There is lots of competition out there for makers so they are trying to capture as much of the diverse market as they can in introducing a vertical line of smokes. I may be wrong but I think it still is a smokers market. Where it will go once Cubans get into the picture or if political problems arise in some of the growing countries is anybody's guess. My opinion, but I have been terribly wrong before.