• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another Humidor Finished

Awesome, nice work Chris! And great selection of smokes as well.

So what's next? I know you've got the bug now. Going bigger or smaller? It's worse than being hooked on cigars. :laugh:

If you ever need some cool hardware check out www.leevalley.com they have every cabinet/box hardware and gizmo you could ever dream of. Fun to just look at all the stuff. Their catalog is packed as well. Again, great job my friend. :thumbs:

They also cost a fortune! lol But then again, I didn't go cheap on this one either locally... that top lock thing was over $20 alone!
Chris

Wow. That is a beautiful humidor! I have a friend that would love to have a humidor like that.

I believe the concern is not on beautiful solid wood pieces of furniture like this (very nice btw!), but on cheaper pieces which mainly rely on cedar veneer or 1/8" planking to line the inside. The issue is not so much raising the grain, but possibly warping the wood and ruining the seal.

It would take a lot more than a wipe down to warp lumber than it would thin veneer.

That being said, I've always wiped too. It seems to hold better for longer and require less reseasons in it's lifetime.

Beautiful piece sir.. absolutely beautiful.

Actually, quite the opposite. It would take LESS moisture to warp a solid piece of cedar (considering humidors are lined this relatively thin pieces, say 1/8"-1/4") than veneer. The reason being, the veneer is glued to a piece of ply/MDF/substrate, that are manufactured for the purposes of being extremely dimensionally stable. Also, when humidors are lined with solid cedar the cedar cannot (read should not) be glued in over the entire face, this negates the cedar's ability to expand and will most DEFINITELY harm the structural integrity of the humidor if NOT allowed to move freely. Since it's not glued in over the entire surface this thus makes it more likely to move. HOWEVER, do not read warp as equaling move. Wood SHOULD move and expand with different humidity levels, and a good piece will do some evenly and only do so ALONG the grain (ie: LENGTH will not change). Warping is where the wood cups, twists, or bows as a result of expansion. That said, veneered work will MOVE less, simply because that's exactly what it's designed to do. Solid wood SHOULD move. By NO means is veneered work more prone to warping, quite the opposite, however, NETHIER, if built correctly using the right wood and the right cuts should warp with a wipe down.
I'm not sure how much wood-working you do... but you should probably read up on how and why ply is made and used, as well as the characteristics of wood.
Chris

Actually, quite the opposite. It would take LESS moisture to warp a solid piece of cedar (considering humidors are lined this relatively thin pieces, say 1/8"-1/4") than veneer. The reason being, the veneer is glued to a piece of ply/MDF/substrate, that are manufactured for the purposes of being extremely dimensionally stable. Also, when humidors are lined with solid cedar the cedar cannot (read should not) be glued in over the entire face, this negates the cedar's ability to expand and will most DEFINITELY harm the structural integrity of the humidor if NOT allowed to move freely. Since it's not glued in over the entire surface this thus makes it more likely to move. HOWEVER, do not read warp as equaling move. Wood SHOULD move and expand with different humidity levels, and a good piece will do some evenly and only do so ALONG the grain (ie: LENGTH will not change). Warping is where the wood cups, twists, or bows as a result of expansion. That said, veneered work will MOVE less, simply because that's exactly what it's designed to do. Solid wood SHOULD move. By NO means is veneered work more prone to warping, quite the opposite, however, NETHIER, if built correctly using the right wood and the right cuts should warp with a wipe down.
I'm not sure how much wood-working you do... but you should probably read up on how and why ply is made and used, as well as the characteristics of wood.
Chris
That's actually good to know.. I always assumed glued or not, the veneer would be affected more due to it's thinness.

The only woodworking I do usually see's no moisture and normal house levels of humidity.. was more passing along what I've always been told. Good to hear from someone who actually does it to find that what is often passed along is not necessarily the case.