• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

another knife thread

donzz

I have narrowed my choices to these 2
Will be a general use and everyday carry

http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=KEhhh1725CB&bhcd2=1261277572

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?Mode=Brand&Brand=102&A=&SKU=SOGAE02

I like the look of the first one but is the use of the 2 types of steel just a gimmick?
As I am also going to be learning to sharpen this knife, which one would be easier to maintain?

T I A

Don

I just got a JYD II composite today actually. Just took it outa the box and such but it seems very nice. Super quality. I would deff recommend it. I got it for 52$ on ebay also. Its going to be my every day carry at work. I'll write a bigger review in a week or two.

I'm personally a fan of SOGs, but that's just me. As you learn to sharpen them, you'll definitely scratch up that nice black finish, FYI.

Laminated steel is nothing new. Not a gimic, and can make for a very resilient blade.

I don't like the wording on the Kershaw. Sounds like the blade wasn't engineered to be tough, but just cheap?

I'll take a laminated powder steel blade any day.

Thanks for the replies. Ill let you know what I decide.
LockOut I look forward to your review

Don

I'm personally a fan of SOGs, but that's just me. As you learn to sharpen them, you'll definitely scratch up that nice black finish, FYI.

I'm with Jon on this one. I own a couple SOG's and they are great blades.

I like the look of the Kershaw blade, but I choose the SOG for everyday use. Let us know what you decide.

You might wanna look into Benchmade too. I have picked up a few new ones for cheap recently. I work with a guy who is a large local knife dealer, and can get some good deals sometimes. My latest good find is a 2002 series benchmade original production Mchenry&Williams design. Current book value of $229 and I picked it up for $90. Was still new in bubblewrap in the box uncarried. Also got a good deal on another benchmade a couple weeks ago for $50, normally $100. Never know what you might come across sometimes.
B

SOG has some knives with VG-10 Steel Blades.

Great stuff! I've been eyeballing the Vulcan.

Edit to add: and the Mini Vulcan.

CRKT is another great knife for everyday carry. Mine worked well through two deployments to Iraq. Benchmade is another you can't go wrong with. Spyderco is another great everyday carry knife with a great blade! Just a few other options to look at.

SOG has some knives with VG-10 Steel Blades.

Great stuff! I've been eyeballing the Vulcan.

Edit to add: and the Mini Vulcan.

There is a Vulcan on the bay site for 87$ with free shipping Im going to grab
There are 2 available

+1 on the benchmade knives. My brother-in-law is a huge knife collector and, as a result, I've handled SOG, Kershaw, CRKT and countless other knives. In my opinion, benchmade makes some of the best mass produced knives out there. Their locking system for the blade is basically failure proof and most of their knives are 154cm steel.

Update,
I went with the SOG Vulcan
Ordered it on the 23@ around 6:30 or 7
I figured it would ship today as there was a notice that there would be no shipping on the 24 and 25.
It was delivered today. Very nice knife. Solid no blade play when open. The action is a little tight,
but I think it will be fine once it is used a little.
If anyone is looking to purchase a knife I would recommend this place on Ebay

pm for info

Edit to add I really like the ARC lock

Nice. Everybody I know who has a Vulcan Knife Loves it.
I am going to get one sooner than later.