• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another newbie question, sorry if it's been asked before...

Joho

The Google search isn't working at the moment and the IPB search is, well, terrible.

I notice that for a lot of cigars that you guys tend to suggest to newbies, there are different sizes but sizes are never mentioned. I also realize that size affects the way a cigar smokes. Should I just choose a size that looks good? Choose the cheapest and then taste the other sizes if I like it? I'm trying to match prices and see what's my best option but I don't know what to do.

Thanks much for your answers. :)

There is no right or wrong answer - taste is subjective. Some like brand X best in a certain size, some in another. For example, I think the Illusione cg:4 (Corona Gorda) is the best of the bunch but some others prefer the 888 (Churchill) or the 68 (Petit Corona) or another size. We're all right - for us.

The only thing I'd say is that smaller cigars tend to cost less than larger ones so you can get a general taste for a line for less by smoking petit coronas, coronas, or robustos than if you bought double coronas, churchills, and so on. If you find one you like, smoke a few different different sizes and have some fun.

- Tim

There's no real right answer to this. Sizes are more a matter of preference, oh, it'll change the flavor profile slightly, but it's more about what fits you best. Try a bunch of cigars in a bunch of different sizes. You'll start to gravitate to specific lengths or ring gauges.

When I first started I used to go for churchills just because I thought just because they were bigger I was getting the most for my money.

Boy was I ever wrong.
As stated previous, try different sizes. I have learned to give other sizes a try.

Like my favorite Rocky Patel Edge Sumatra. I really prefer the torpedo to the toro. I just found it smokes better and I really like the flavor profile better.

And how do I figure out whether the last word denotes the size of the cigar or the line?

And how do I figure out whether the last word denotes the size of the cigar or the line?

There's charts, tools, and sites all over the internet that will list typical sizes for most/all cigars, and others that will list specific sizes for a certain brand/type.
You have your typical stuff like robusto, perfecto, toro, torpedo, churchill, etc., although some brands do have specifically named sizes. In this and all cases of sizes, google is your friend.
As far as the right size for you,
as other botl here have stated, some cigars will smoke better in different sizes than other sticks you enjoy.
One place to start though, is picking a cigar that's never let you down, smoke each size it's made in, take note of the most enjoyable and why you enjoyed it most. Other than that, explore, and you'll find many different answers to your question.
Hope this helps,
Mike

If you find a cigar you like, try a couple different sizes to see what fits you taste preferences the best.

I also tend to base what I buy on the time I have to smoke. I'm a fan of smaller size cigars, preferably a robusto. That's definitely my go to size.