• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another question on mold...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I just used them.......The box was OK, but had I seen this......This will be my last order.....

Damn, I just used them.......The box was OK, but had I seen this......This will be my last order.....

CRAP CRAP CRAP who is the vendor?!?!?!?!

Someone PM me and enlighten my wee lil' mind!! I don't wanna blow lettuce on moldy sticks! :0

I once had a box of SROs (Sun Ripened Oscuros) that got a some mold on them because I screwed up and let my humidor's RH get to 90% (long story). Maduros and oscuros (double maduros) are supposed to be more susceptible to mold because the dark leaves contain more simple carbohydrates (sugar). I immediately took them out of the humidor and took them out of the cellophane and stored them in a small, cheap humidor with no humidifier inside. This stopped any more mold from growing. Before I smoked then I wiped them down with a LIGHTLY dampened paper towel and they smoked just fine. I read on one website (I think it was cigar.com) that smoking moldy cigars can make you sick, but I think they would have to be very moldy for that to happen. Some of the cigars I had looked about as moldy as the ones in the pictures, but the mold wipes off very easily with the damp paper towel trick. Hope this helps.

Someone PM me and enlighten my wee lil' mind!! I don't wanna blow lettuce on moldy sticks! :0

Look at Moki's post about the "express" vendor (hint). If you use this vendor, you'll know who he is talking about. :whistling:

Wow.....I have used them for several years and have ordered a number of boxes from them. I've never had a problem with any mold or anything even remotely wrong with the cigars. Always nice guys on e-mails, but this is pretty disturbing that they won't admit there is a mold problem. <Sigh> .......and my vendor list gets a little shorter...........

I just got five boxes from these guys, If my guess on the vendor is correct. Perfect condition. Well wrapped, shipped promptly, just.....perfect.

After all was said and done, I'm getting a full refund AND get to keep the box of moldy smokes. So, they did come through, just hate to have had to put my foot down like I did. ;)
To me, this is significant; OK, so it did take a little standing on the table but it sounds like it all worked out in the end. I'm not ready to hoist these guys on the pyre yet, but I'll definitely look over my incoming much closer.

It would be a shame to have to 86 them as a vendor, as we've done business off and on over a few years and I am completely happy with them and their products and services. I guess time will tell..... :cool:

Eyes wide open, guys - B.B.S.

Now this is the stuff that needs to be kept in Pm's! Not the little mudslingin' contests that go on occasionally.... :rolleyes: SOB where's ROD now? Huh? Let's close 'er down!

;)

Look at Moki's post about the "express" vendor (hint). If you use this vendor, you'll know who he is talking about. :whistling:
Not terribly helpful for those looking for a new retailer, however...

Now this is the stuff that needs to be kept in Pm's! Not the little mudslingin' contests that go on occasionally.... :rolleyes: SOB where's ROD now? Huh? Let's close 'er down!

;)
.....got to agree. This has gone from a discussion on moldy sticks to what's bordering on a discussion of sources, which is prohibited.

Let's move any more specific discussions to PM's, guys..... :cool:

B.B.S.

;)
.....got to agree. This has gone from a discussion on moldy sticks to what's bordering on a discussion of sources, which is prohibited.

B.B.S.

I agree that it shouldn't go any further than it has, however I think what I've stated publicly is not only appropriate, but downright mandatory when it comes to consumer awareness/protection. Anyone who knows the vendor in question has been made aware of a situation that they should be aware of (many situations, in fact). Anyone who doesn't know the vendor in question isn't any the wiser (as the questions asked in this thread demonstrate).

The vendor has been screwing with people for some time, trying to proclaim that mold is plume, and foist their fungi-infested cigars on people. I can't think of any reason not to make people aware of this reprehensible behavior.

;)

B.B.S.

Agreed :thumbs:

Well, it's pretty clear to me who the "bad" vendor is...and that amazes me 'cause I know folks who've used this canary before with nothing but excellent results. And this vendor's always "cheep, cheep" compared to other guys. :whistling: Like I said, I'm kinda flabbergasted.

all this mold talk is making me hungry for some really pungent cheese...

now where in LA can I get an Iceberg Wedge with Blue cheese... hmmmm.

I am currently in the midst of the same scenario with the same vendor. I'll let you know how it pans out.

I bought a box from these guys going on 2 years ago. Sure enough, the box arrived with mold. I sent the box back and received a prompt credit, I have never purchased from them again.

Judging from the sample of people that have used them in this thread, they are reputable in that refunds will be honored, giving the customer the benefit of doubt. However, clearly they have
a storage problem in one or more of their humidors. After years of mold complaints (based on my purchase two years ago), clearly they are aware of their mold problem and therefore they
are not to be trusted as a quality vendor, IMHO. Note I said quality and not reputable. They have managed to keep their credibility in tact by refunding on demand.

This thread has not done them any good though.

Brian

That's why I think they are trash Brian. They've clearly known about this problem for some time now. Rather than fix it, they've decided to go the "you don't know what you're talking about" route.

That's just plain trash IMO. Anyone who smokes cigars on a regular basis knows that is mold, anyone who sells them had damned well better know it, and to state otherwise is absolutely unacceptable. I don't how many "good" experiences folks may have had with this vendor, but the fact that they intentionally deny the truth when they know better tells me they are trash.

Furthermore, the refund doesn't do it for me. That doesn't give them to right to keep doing it....obviously there has been a problem for a couple years, as you stated. So apparently they've taken the "lets try and unload them anyway, and if anyone complains give them a refund" stand. A refund doesn't mean they are reputable, it means they would rather appease the buyer than get called out that they got caught unloading crap.

EDIT grammar

...and on a side not. I just showed my wife those photos without letting her read the text.

This woman has probably never held a cigar, definitely never smoked one, and will do all in her power to live the rest of her life that way.

I said "what does that look like to you". She said "looks like some sorta mold or something."

I guess my wife knows more about the topic than they do.

Thanks for the heads up. I was just about to change to this vendor from the last I got mold from with the same response. Moki you told me to find a new one then and I almost made another mistake choosing this one. Is there a bad vendor list out there....somewhere?

There is a list at http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/webapp/content/view/944/48/. The Cigar Spider now allows for user submitted retailer rankings. If I bought a box and it looked like that I'd flip out. There is no excuse for that quality of merchandise, even if they did eventually correct the situation. I urge you to post the name of this vendor in the interest of protecting your fellow BOTL. There is no reason to protect them if that's how they treat their customers. And sure, you could be from Joe's Tobacco Store or whatever and this could just be some elaborate plot to smear Hank's Tobacco Store, but I doubt it. So please, post the retailers name. At the very least, rank them at The Cigar Spider. I wonder what would happen if you actually did smoke those? I bet you'd get one hell of a buzz...

Thanks,
Brad

That won't happen in this case.

I bought a box from these guys going on 2 years ago. Sure enough, the box arrived with mold. I sent the box back and received a prompt credit, I have never purchased from them again.

Judging from the sample of people that have used them in this thread, they are reputable in that refunds will be honored, giving the customer the benefit of doubt. However, clearly they have
a storage problem in one or more of their humidors. After years of mold complaints (based on my purchase two years ago), clearly they are aware of their mold problem and therefore they
are not to be trusted as a quality vendor, IMHO. Note I said quality and not reputable. They have managed to keep their credibility in tact by refunding on demand.

This thread has not done them any good though.

Brian

This thread has not done them any good... exactly!

I actually had an experience with the vendor in question where the box never showed up to my door. A refund was promised within 5 days and actually was delivered the very next day. I was very satisfied with the service in this case (and I've only had two deliveries ever go missing). This particular situation was entirely different than a recurring 'mold' issue. In my scenario I would consider this vendor to be reputable precisely because they honored their guarantee to me.

However, in the scenario currently being discussed the vendor is knowingly sending out bad product which will not only create ill-will amoung their client-base and scare away potential clients, but it clearly has now contributed to a new (arguably earned) reputation for distributing sub-standard product. I have to agree with Wyatt on this one. In this case they need to stop sending out damaged goods. They're clearly aware of this issue. And now, unfortunately for said vendor, so is their client base.

Caveat emptor.

;)

First time reading this thread - if you had reported it, perhaps it would have been closed sooner. ;)

Discussion of sources is not allowed, take it to PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.