• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

another salt test question

PGK

Banned
So I have read about 25 salt test threads and still haven't quite found what I'm looking for so please bear with me.

I have an analog hygrometer and a wireless digital (from a weather station) and ive salt tested each individually and both together in the same bag. My set up included using a gatorade bottle cap with salt and just enough water for the salt to turn clear and cakey. Then the hygrometers and gatorade cap were placed in a small zip lock which was then placed inside a second zip lock and then into a gladware plastic container.

With this set up, wen tested individually, both the analog and digital registered 70% RH exactly at 66*F. When tested together they registered about 67-68% RH at 66*F.

My questions:

Is it more likely that both hygrometers are 5% off exactly or that they are correctly calibrated and my test set up was flawed?

Does the slightly lower temperature affect the results of the test? (have seen that it is about 1% per 10*F but is that correct?)

TYIA,

Pat

It is the imprecision of the instruments that leads to the varying results. I would just average the two runs out to 69% RH and adjust accordingly.

Analog hygrometers are the worst pieces of equipment that I have ever seen. (I HATE THEM!) I have spent a lot of money on electronic hygrometers trying to find one that was spot on every time. I have the Radio Shack, Diamond Crown, Little Havana, and many others. None are worth anything.

My advice to you is that you should by the Western Humidor Caliber III Thermometer Hygrometer. It is always spot on. Go with the Caliber III; it will save you a lot of trouble.

Thanks for the advice but Im fine with my hygrometer being 1-5* off i just want to make sure im testing them correctly so that i can make the proper adjustment

Analog hygrometers are the worst pieces of equipment that I have ever seen. (I HATE THEM!) I have spent a lot of money on electronic hygrometers trying to find one that was spot on every time. I have the Radio Shack, Diamond Crown, Little Havana, and many others. None are worth anything.

My advice to you is that you should by the Western Humidor Caliber III Thermometer Hygrometer. It is always spot on. Go with the Caliber III; it will save you a lot of trouble.
+1 for the Caliber III. Mine came with a calibration kit (which I took to be more reliable than the salt test). It was spot-on from Day 1.

Salt testing hygrometers is a VERY subjective procedure. Slight variations in the amount of salt, water, air in the baggie, etc make your hygrometers come up with different results.

Your best bet is to go to your B&M (or reach into a newly-purchased box of Torano or Fuente ;) ) and get out the humi-pack that comes with them. At our shop we give them out if customers want them since we're going to be throwing them away anyway. If it feels nice and soft/full then it's still mostly charged. Just put it in a baggie with your hygro, then squeeze most of the air out and seal. Then put that inside another baggie. Let it sit overnight and you'll see exactly how far off your hygro is.

If you can't get those baggies most B&Ms sell either tubes or little plastic jars of gel meant to produce moisture up to (and not beyond) 70%. They usually run in the $5 - $10 range and last for a full year. WELL worth the money to protect your investment.

Of course, if your cigars are smoking how you like and aren't cracking or molded, then why worry what the hygros say? I check mine about once every 3 or 4 months - and usually only as a cursory check. I can tell by how my cigars are smoking whether or not to raise humidity.

Good luck!