• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another WTF Story

KeithS

My neighbor caught another neighbor's 17 year old son breaking into his storage building and stealing stuff. My neighbor was woken up by the noise and tackled the kid on his second trip back across the fence. While he had the kid his wife called the police. What did the police do? Nothing! Apparently since the kid is not 18 he can't be taken to jail, and since the kid was high or drunk he could not be taken to the juvenile center. In this situation the police turn the kid back to the parents, which is a single mother that does not supervise her kids at all. Basically he got off scott free. My neighbor gets to replace a window in his building which I'm sure he'll never be paid back for.

Now I don't blame the police they are the unfortunate people caught in the middle having to follow stupid rules/laws. I'd like to now how a person can be caught committing a crime and nothing happens. Who is passing these dumb laws? WTF.

Moral, If you are under 18 and committing a crime make sure you are drunk or high.

Keith

Thats what is nice about Texas. At 17 you can be arrested like an adult. If you are under 17 we will arrest you anyway, book you, and either release you to your parents or transport you to juvenile detention.
B

That definitely is interesting! I don't mean that in a good way at all. You would think they would be able to issue an appearance summons to the parent for their intoxicated child, let alone for the breaking and entering.

Thats what is nice about Texas. At 17 you can be arrested like an adult. If you are under 17 we will arrest you anyway, book you, and either release you to your parents or transport you to juvenile detention.
B
Breaking in at night is also a good way to get shot in Texas.

Don't worry too much. The kid will soon be 18 and will undoubtedly screw up and get caught committing another crime.

Here in Ga 17 is considered an adult. Even if he was a juvenile and high/drunk, we'll hold him for a few hours in the juvi-tank, then take them to the YDC (Youth Development Center). They don't get away with anything here!

Sounds like a California story! Out here, if a juvenile has smoked weed or drank alcohol in the past 24 hours, then we have to take them to a hospital to get medically cleared before we can book them. In addition, this mat noy have been the Officer's fault either, and may have been the infinite wisdom of Juvenile Hall. Our Juvie Halls out here WILL NOT hold a juvenile unless it is a violent family offense, such as beating up one of their own family members, or a violent crime such as assault with a deadly weapon.

If it's an attempted assault, they'll take them at the gate, but call the parents immediately to pick them up. So, in my county, a kid has to pretty much almost kill someone in order to actually do some time. It's crazy frustrating. A misdemeanor vandalism like the above story sounds like something Juvenile Hall wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole out here, and even if it did, the watch commander wouldn't think it worth his Officer's time to sit in a hospital with his arrest for four hours to get cleared medically.

Them's the breaks, but he's almost 18. The Reaper will catch up to him soon enough.