• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anti-Smoking Friends

Bucky

I just got my humidor in the mail today, and I was in the process of seasoning it by the window, when my friend/roomate tells me to move it because its bothering him. This kid doesn't like doing anything slightly harmful, and he sure doesn't let anyone else do it without feeling guilty. Then I get angry and need to leave the room How do you deal with someone like that? I didn't used to be a fan of smoking either, but I'm not hurting the kid by doing it. Any suggestions?

Very difficult to deal with anti-smoking fanatics. Just smoke somewhere else, definitely not worth the hassle of arguing with your friend.

Although, if you prefer to go the confrontational route, you can fire back with a remark like "I smoke to relax because you're really bumming me out."

I can understand people not wanting you to smoke around them, I get that. But to be bothered by the sight of a humidor? Thats just ridiculous and it sounds like he just wants to be a jerk!
I bet he's the type to put his name on the milk too? ;)
Sounds like more than just a smoking problem....

Tell him the humidor is not going to effect his health. If he doesnt believe you...... :sign:

If you don't smoke near him or in your common areas, then hell with him. You're a grown-up (I assume) so go do what you want when you want to (e.g., smoking outdoors or at other places away from your apt). If the sight of your humidor bums him out, and you think it's worth it to you to keep your things where you want as long as it does not affect his ability to do so, then do it an explain clearly, calmly. That's just bizarre to be so put off by the sight of a humi, a piece of furniture that by most accounts is generally attractive and inoffensive.

It sounds like you know him and if he is passive-aggressive/guilt inducing, then you've got a tough road to travel.

Wilkey

Just be frank, honest and open. "Dude, I appreciate that you are concerned for me, but our values are different. This is my hobby and doesn't impact you. I'll be sure I don't enjoy a cigar where it will impact you but I am an adult and this is a hobby I've chosen. Please allow me to live my life..." or something like that. It's not worth disturbing a friendship, but it is your choice. As long as he knows where you stand and what the groud rules are, he should back off, if he's any kind of friend anyway.

-K-

Just be frank, honest and open. "Dude, I appreciate that you are concerned for me, but our values are different. This is my hobby and doesn't impact you. I'll be sure I don't enjoy a cigar where it will impact you but I am an adult and this is a hobby I've chosen. Please allow me to live my life..." or something like that. It's not worth disturbing a friendship, but it is your choice. As long as he knows where you stand and what the groud rules are, he should back off, if he's any kind of friend anyway.

-K-
Well said. While my wife and I both smoke, out of courtesy to our family and friends that don't and may visit us, we never smoke in our house. We have two very nice covered decks outside and that's where we partake. Ensure what you do won't affect him but beyond that, you're both adults and if he expects to be treated as such he needs to return the favor.

Another point is that you probably don't want your humidor in the window (in the sun = too hot) anyway.... :cool:

Good luck - B.B.S.

You people are more polite than I. If the SIGHT OF A HUMIDOR gets his panties in a wad, I'd just tell him to lighten the f**k up.

on a side note, when it's all done seasoning, I wouldn't keep it by the window anyway. Direct sunlight is never good for many things with its "bleaching" effect, that and temps by windows can fluctuate more than in other places.

Thanks, I moved it away because I didn't want to hear it. I'm just so sick of people acting like I've committed some crime. Smoking isn't real big here in Mass. I swear, freedom isn't legal in this state :p

This guy sounds really unreasonable. If you were splitting rent with the guy and you decided to light up in the apt, then I could see him requesting you put out your cigar. However, you are setting up a humidor - how does that affect him at all? If I were you, I'd tell him to mind his own damn business. I say find a new room mate ;)

We are all different, that's what makes this an interesting world right now.

I would love for some of my family or friends to see the light but I still respect them for their own choices. But I don't go telling them what to do and they
better not go telling me what to do. Respect is what we give each other, if you give it and don't get it back...fugg him, he is not your friend. If you don't see it now,
it will come out to bite you later.

Brian

Hey Bucky,

Sorry to hear about your uncool roomie. You're just gonna have to go out and buy a few more humi-s to put around the place for easy access. :) No sweat! Case solved. He's probably just jealous of your new hobby and the wonderful relaxative properties of our sweet cigars; that almost sounded dirty... I love our Hobby!

As long as he's not getting puffed on, he shouldn't have anything to complain about. Just my 2¢

Enjoy your new humidor!

How to deal with anti-smoking zealots... hmm I'd step on their toes and call it an accident, repeatedly. ;)

Thanks, I moved it away because I didn't want to hear it. I'm just so sick of people acting like I've committed some crime. Smoking isn't real big here in Mass. I swear, freedom isn't legal in this state :p

You just fed the very behavior that you don't like. There is a bigger lesson here and that is people will run all over you if you allow them to. It is much easier for someone to mold your behaviors into something they like then for them to work on themselves. What are you, his little pet project or something? Best of luck.

You people are more polite than I. If the SIGHT OF A HUMIDOR gets his panties in a wad, I'd just tell him to lighten the f**k up.

yeah tell me about it. I could see if you were smoking around him, that would make perfect sense & i'd respect that, but the sight of a humi....c'man.

really for the site of it..come on. i would take it away from the window because of the sunlight but i would not give him the satification let him know we told you to take it out due to sun and temp fluctuations

I'd get another roommate. Or at least tell him to go to hell. :angry: