• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any attorneys out there?

13Fox

The title pretty much sums it up. I'm taking the Kansas bar exam 2 weeks from today and am down to the crunch time for studying. I've got a small study group that I'm with roughly 10 hours a day right now, but wondering if anyone who has been there and done that has any advice/tips/etc that would help make these last days more productive. I'm feeling the stress a bit, and although I'm sure I'm prepared, I don't want to be "that guy" who fails the silly thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paul

The title pretty much sums it up. I'm taking the Kansas bar exam 2 weeks from today and am down to the crunch time for studying. I've got a small study group that I'm with roughly 10 hours a day right now, but wondering if anyone who has been there and done that has any advice/tips/etc that would help make these last days more productive. I'm feeling the stress a bit, and although I'm sure I'm prepared, I don't want to be "that guy" who fails the silly thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paul

Relax. You'll do fine. Chose a wildly expensive cigar to smoke afterwards.

Smoke cigars while studying. It will relax you and annoy the future neo-nazi anti-smoking activist attorneys that surely comprise half of your study group.

I actually miss law school, though. I played a lot of golf and had way too much fun at night. I wish I could go back.

Relax and have confidence in your knowledge and that you are well prepared. Also ... the advice I received, and followed, was to get a hotel room downtown for the three-day exam. Less likely you will get into a traffic/parking delay. I did this and was walking distance to the testing site and it was a huge stresser out of the whol process.

Good luck.

As was mentioned above, getting a hotel room within walking distance is a great idea. I was never big into group studies. From the groups I saw, there were always one or two "know it alls" who seemed to stress other people out. I found it better for me to just review the materials on my own. After all, the group doesn't take the exam as a group.

I was a bit cocky and didn't think the essay portion was going to be a problem. As such, I literally didn't write out one sample essay (timed) before the bar exam. I thought "hell, if you can't get through law school without writing an essay, you probably wouldn't be at the stage of sitting for the bar exam." BIG mistake! Since I didn't have any sense of time from not writing any timed practice essays, I spent almost 50 minutes on the first essay - oops :laugh: Of course, I think I nailed the essay, but I was scrambling the rest of the morning to make up for the time that I misallocated. It didn't come back to hurt me, but I am sure I would have been better prepared if I wrote out a few timed essays.

Best of luck to you!!!

I'm already on board with the hotel room. I was able to grab one at the hotel attached to the convention center where they're holding the exam, so that's one big thing out of the way. Nothing like eliminating all variables as far as that goes.

I appreciate the great advice so far.

Since you have come this far then you might has well go ahead and take the test. Have your beer and cigar plan well laid out. When you have a crappy question that some evil jackass wrote then think ahead to the beer and cigar. Good luck.

Thanks for all the well-wishes and great advice. I'm just ready to get this thing over with and move on to the next step.

...and now that we have them identified and concentrated.

Doc.

Just remember, there are thousands of exams to grade. The only place they can test you on details is on a multiple choice exam. On those you can almost always eliminate at least 1 possible answer, raising your odds of guessing correctly if you need to guess. On the essay don't type. Typing is too easy to read and thus too easy to spot incorrect answers. Write the exam and underline the key issue terms so they stand out. Your exam reader will skip the words between the underlined issues which makes it very likely you can give an incorrect answer without penalty. There are just too many exams to grade to read each one. Make that work for you. If your exam has a perfomance portion just remember, all the answers are right in the materials in front of you. Performance exams are an opportunity to score free points. Nothing to study for on performance exams.

Also keep in mind that the bar exam only tests minimal competence to be a lawyer.

Good luck!

Geoff

Take your lunch and eat by yourself. Don't talk to other applicants about any of your/their answers. You'll only freak out that you totally blew a question. Just go in and take the thing and be done with it.

By the way, you'll probably break down one or two days before the exam...this is normal :laugh:

Now I just need a suggestion on a good smoke (or 3 or 4) for the aftermath of the test. Any ideas?

Well, the day has arrived. The bar exam starts at 0900 central time tomorrow...wish me luck!

Thanks again for all the advice and well wishes. I'll give it all I've got.

It's over. I've taken a week or so off to rest and recuperate. Now the waiting game begins. On the bright side though, I have some extra time now, so I'm able to take care of lots of things that were neglected during the two months of studying and I have more time for cigars in the evenings. Thanks again for all the advice and well-wishes.

What did you have for a celebratory smoke when all was said and done? Anything picked out for when you hear that you passed?

Glad things are getting back to normal for you, best wishes on the results.