• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

any diabetic cigar smokers?

Sockmonkey

I am a diabetic and a cigar smoker which can cause elevated blood sugars anyone have any tips or discussion on this topic?

I smoke and I am diabetic and I have never noticed my blood sugar going up after a smoke. Maybe it is what you are drinking with your smoke I am a Crystal light sugar free kool aid or Diet Dr. Pepper man myself rp

actually I have been reading some posts here where people say to eat sugar if you get sick off of nic, started researching and came up with this type of stuff.

Nicotine also inhibits the release of insulin from the pancreas, a hormone that is responsible for removing excess sugar from a person's blood. This leaves the smoker in a slightly hyperglycemic condition, meaning he has more sugar in his blood than is normal. High blood sugar acts as an appetite suppressant, which may be why smokers think their cigarettes reduce hunger.

I have not really checked my sugar after smoking but wanted to know if any of you guys had had problems?

Hmmm...I'm hyopglycemic. Maybe I can write my cigar smoking off as therapy :laugh: :whistling:

I'm a diabetic and I smoke cigars, eat chocolate, drink beer and do everything else that is reportedly bad for one's physical health. I recall the immortal words of Emliano Zapata...

"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!"

I'm diabetic also. Never really noticed a glucose level variation based on cigar-smoking.

Then again, I don't follow it real close, so it might fluctuate and I'm just not noticing.

I had no idea so many other BOTL's were in the same boat as me. Sounds like a strange HERF in the making.

I'm a diabetic and I smoke cigars, eat chocolate, drink beer and do everything else that is reportedly bad for one's physical health. I recall the immortal words of Emliano Zapata...

"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!"

Classic diabetic Pt. behavior. Drives health care people nuts.

I don't think elevated sugar levels is the issue with nicotine. I believe circulation is the problem. Diabetics already are prone to circulatory and healing issues. Tobacco only makes this condition worse It's a vasoconstrictor. It's tough having this disease. Everything in life that's fun ain't good for you.

Doc.

Doc, you are correct. Anything that's fun ain't good for you. I am a diabetic also and I haven't noticed a connection between my blood sugar level and cigar smoking, not that I am checking. I do notice some "sense" of an elevated level, but that is usually due to what I am drinking with my cigar choice, not what I am smoking. If anyone can verify this connection, please don't tell my wife. Just what I need is something else for her to nag me about concerning cigars and/or my diabetes. :whistling:

Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have never heard of cigar smoking effecting blood glucose levels. I know what you are drinking with your cigar will cause your blood glucose levels to change. Such as sodas that are sweetened with pure cane sugar will cause your sugar to go up, however a myth of Coke or similar drinks make your sugar change is false. They are sweetened with high fructose corn syrup which the body does not break down nearly as fast and you would only see minute change in your bgl. Also if you are an insulin dependent diabetic how often before you smoke are you taking your insulin and are you eating after you take it. You can also look at that nicotine causes a sympathetic nervous system response (which is your fight or flight response) it will cause increased heart rate, and will cause cells to use up more energy (sugar), in theory causing blood glucose levels to fall. I am not sure why they would go up in this situation. So basicly how the endocrine system works is that insulin is released from the pancreas causing cells to take up sugar and that will cause bgl levels to drop as the sugar is used up. The bodys Alpha cells produce a hormone called glucagon causing the breakdown of glycogen to glucose primarily by liver cells, this is called glycogenolysis. Ok I dont know if this will help anyone in this thread. This is just my understanding of diabetes as a paramedic and I resorted back to my text to find anything I could be missing. I hope it helps, PM me if you need anymore info.

Being Diabetic for over 30 years, I have never noticed any spike in my blood sugar due to smoking, and I've smoked EVERYTHING! The only thing i've ever heard negative, is that both smoking and diabetes narrow the blood vessels.

OK I did a test this morning my blood sugar before smoking 110. Two hours after a nice CAO Mx2 Gordo (god they are good) my blood sugar was 112. OK two points I think I can live with that. rp

I spoke to another paramedic today who has been a medic for 27 years (now he runs a B&M) and he also has never heard of cigar smoking having any effect on blood glucose levels. I will ask a doctor tomorrow at work and let you guys know.