• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Electricians in the house?

I have done plenty of work around my house where i used a pro, but bought my own materials. Don't be afraid to tell your pro that you already have the supplies and you want him to use what you have, and that he should let you know if he needs something you dont have.

Same here.

Stay sober.... I made that mistake last time I was dealing with wiring.

Update! I've decided that this was probably more work than I could/should take on myself, so I've gotten a couple quotes and it's going to run me around $700 not including the panel itself which I'll be supplying. It turns out around here the electric company is responsible only for the wires up to the house, then from that point on (including the meter) it's my responsibility. So upgrading to 200 amp service is going to require a new meter and a bypass, new wire and conduit running down the side of the house, then of course the panel. Also a new grounding rod outside, since the current one is not big enough.

Here's something that really blew me away. One of the electricians giving me the quotes mentioned that these days people are counterfeiting breakers and electrical parts and I have to be careful where I get my panel and breakers from! Never ceases to amaze me the things people will do!

Here's something that really blew me away. One of the electricians giving me the quotes mentioned that these days people are counterfeiting breakers and electrical parts and I have to be careful where I get my panel and breakers from! Never ceases to amaze me the things people will do!

I had seen this somewhere too! I think Home Depot and Lowes are pretty safe bets, unless someone returned the cheap ones and then turned around and bought the real deal.

I can get a great discount though, my brother's freind knows a guy who date's the warehouse supervisor's daughter, and he can get me the breakers half off! Or something like that...

I can get a great discount though, my brother's freind knows a guy who date's the warehouse supervisor's daughter, and he can get me the breakers half off! Or something like that...
:laugh: That's how i get my cubans. :laugh: :laugh:

OK, WTF? I'm running a 60 amp sub-panel in a new detached garage that I built, and I call the inspector today with a question about which type of wire to run, 6/3 NM or UF if it's in a conduit buried (40ft between house and garage).

And he says, "You can't use 6 gauge wire for a 60 amp panel, it's gotta be 4 now. They changed the code back in September so now a 60 amp load must run on 4 gauge wire." What the hell? Has some fundamental law of physics changed recently that won't allow that much current to run on the exact same size wire anymore? How the hell is it possible that the panel for my hot tub, which is 60amps and running on 6/3 wire has been fine forever, but now all of the sudden they decided that I need to run larger (more expensive and harder to work with) wire for the exact same thing? I'm f**king pissed about this! :angry: .

Any of our in-house electricians have any insight into this madness? When I asked the inspector why he just got all pissed off and said, "I've been a master electrician for many years, don't you think I know what I'm talking about?"

OK, WTF? I'm running a 60 amp sub-panel in a new detached garage that I built, and I call the inspector today with a question about which type of wire to run, 6/3 NM or UF if it's in a conduit buried (40ft between house and garage).

And he says, "You can't use 6 gauge wire for a 60 amp panel, it's gotta be 4 now. They changed the code back in September so now a 60 amp load must run on 4 gauge wire." What the hell? Has some fundamental law of physics changed recently that won't allow that much current to run on the exact same size wire anymore? How the hell is it possible that the panel for my hot tub, which is 60amps and running on 6/3 wire has been fine forever, but now all of the sudden they decided that I need to run larger (more expensive and harder to work with) wire for the exact same thing? I'm f**king pissed about this! :angry: .

Any of our in-house electricians have any insight into this madness? When I asked the inspector why he just got all pissed off and said, "I've been a master electrician for many years, don't you think I know what I'm talking about?"
That inspector needs to learn about the ampacity of copper wire. Saying that, you are using copper wire aren't you? If not and you're using aluminum then you're looking for trouble. By the way, it is 4 for aluminum because of the brittleness. COPPER! :rolleyes:

The guy next door building a house and his electrician found out at inspection that new national code says you can't run more than two wires through the same hole in a stud.

The answer to this and your question can be answered by asking an insurance actuary and your local liability lawyer.

The guy next door building a house and his electrician found out at inspection that new national code says you can't run more than two wires through the same hole in a stud.

The answer to this and your question can be answered by asking an insurance actuary and your local liability lawyer.
If you're running plastic enclosed wires through studs then you are looking for trouble, as in putting a nail on the wall and penetrating the the conductor. There are lots of fire started this way all over areas that have minimum codes, use bx because at least there is steel around your wires.

If you're running plastic enclosed wires through studs then you are looking for trouble, as in putting a nail on the wall and penetrating the the conductor. There are lots of fire started this way all over areas that have minimum codes, use bx because at least there is steel around your wires.

Running a nail through your wire shouldn't be an issue as long as you drill your holes the proper distance (no closer than 1.5" I believe) to either side of the stud. Well, also be sure you're not hanging pictures 18" off the ground using 10 penny nails too!

I'm using copper, my plan was to use 6/3 Romex NM copper wire, the one with two hots a neutral and a ground. I thought when I said 6/3 to a "master electrician" that meant of course it's the wire is 6/3 w/ground (two hot, neutral and ground = 4 wires), but apparently not because he got all pissed off saying I had to run 4 wires out there.