• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any good advice?

Diesel Grinch

I have Neal's pants.
Looking for some info on how to try smoking a pipe. Mostly how to get started. Sign up for the freebie offer but now looking for more info on what to do when I get it.

DG

Also try the website for ASP (alt.smokers.pipes) here.
The newsgroup I mentioned is also a great source of information and discussion.
And for another perspective (from a master blender) try this.

Have fun exploring! There's at least as much variety out there for pipesters as there is for cigar smokers.

Here is one simple rule. On a new bowl, just fill it up like 1/4 of the way. Do not pack it tight. Smoke it. Let is cool down and dry out before cleaning. Then smoke another bowl with a little more tobacco. Just slowly work your way up with more tobacco. Eventually it will get broke in.

I didnt add anything to my bowl like some have mentioned. Its all natural break in. Another thing that is good to do. Layer the tobacco in the bowl. Put some in and lightly pack. Repeat process till ya got enough and ensuring it isnt to tight or to loose.

Do no use a zippo lighter. Its best if you can use a stick of spanish cedar from some cigar or wood matches. Another thing to remember is if you truly enjoy a pipe, get some decent ones and rotate them from when ya smoke them.

Thanks guys. I have been reading up at the sites listed and started looking for some cheap pipes. Don't want to spend $$ incase I end up not enjoying it. I was looking at the corn cob ones or should I just go to wally world and get one?

DG

Dr Grabow or however its spelled is a nice way to start. I got my first one back back in a Walgreen's shop. I smoked the hell out of that pipe. After going to a cigar shop for 2 years and talking with some serious pipe smokers. I decided to go with Peterson Pipes. I havent looked back since. The first pipe cost me like $20. I gave it to my dad and he smoked the pipe to its death.

Mr Peat said:
Here is one simple rule. On a new bowl, just fill it up like 1/4 of the way. Do not pack it tight. Smoke it. Let is cool down and dry out before cleaning. Then smoke another bowl with a little more tobacco. Just slowly work your way up with more tobacco. Eventually it will get broke in.<snip>
[snapback]284660[/snapback]​
I wish I'd known that a year ago! I've been having a hellva time even keeping mine lit. I'm going to clean it, and try it this way.

Mine was a christmas gift, with a Zippo lighter.....hmmmm

Man, I'm learning so much from this site!!! Cool! :thumbs:

Dont use a zippo with the pipe. Better off using wood matches and or a strip of spanish cedar that was wrapped around a cigar.

Mr Peat said:
Dont use a zippo with the pipe. Better off using wood matches and or a strip of spanish cedar that was wrapped around a cigar.
[snapback]285645[/snapback]​
Another good idea, I have quite a few of those that I pulled off the sticks and left in the humi!

[I wish I'd known that a year ago! I've been having a hellva time even keeping mine lit. I'm going to clean it, and try it this way.
]

Unfortunately, I don't think having a properly broken-in pipe will help it stay lit. I think it will aid in reducing tongue-bite because it will absorb more of the moisture that results from combustion before it gets to your mouth. It's the steam that burns your tongue, not the smoke.

Keeping the pipe lit longer (and I am definitely no expert, still learning) is a matter of packing the pipe and tamping it while smoking. The first thing I do is, if the tobacco is very moist, portion out what I think will fit in the pipe and let it dry for an hour or so. I also have had good luck with putting it in the microwave oven for 9 seconds, then spread it out and let it come back to room temperature before packing. Having the tobacco somewhat drier will not only help it stay lit better but reduce tongue bite.

The other secret to keeping the pipe lit is to perfect the art of layering the tobacco as was described by others above. The way I heard it is in three layers. First gravity fill the pipe so it is very loose. Then tap it on the sides so it settles down under it's own weight. Then very gently press it in a little more. Second layer, gravity fill again and press down slightly firmer than last time. Third layer, press somewhat firmer still. The joke is that it takes 3 people to pack a pipe: a child, a woman and a man, representing the 3 firmnesses. But definitely, even on the final (man's) pack, you might need to be gentler than you're thinking.

Then, as you smoke, periodically tamp the pipe. Gently press down on the ash and embers to press them closer to the unburnt tobacco. I draw on the pipe while tamping so the tamper has less of a chance of putting out the fire. Any pipe tool or even a roofing nail will work as a tamper, but I heard once that a 3 or 4 inch length of dowel rod is a great tamper, and I always try to use that now.

Enjoy! :cool:

I don't think it's entirely the steam from too moist tobacco that causes "bite".
Some Virginia blends are notorious for this, and dont' change until they've 'aged' for awhile.
The packing sequence is good advice. Once packed, the pipe should draw as though you were sipping a drink through a straw: a little resistance, but not enough to make your cheeks cave in, or so little that it feels like the pipe's empty. Then, different cuts require different techniques. Cube cut, for example, is best smoked a little loose, as any packing will make it harder to draw.
A tight pakc will cause you to either draw harder, thus making the burn hotter, or puff more rapidly to keep it burning, with the same result.

Practice, slow down, sit back, relax, and enjoy.

As for Zippo lighters, the pipe insert works really well, although I still prefer a wooden match for the charring light. Better yet, if you can afford a Corona Old Boy, or find one on eBay, these are the ideal, IMO. And NEVER use a torch lighter!! unless you like the look of a charred rim. :)

I took a block of cedar from one of my cigar boxes and carved me a tamper. It works like a charm. When I get some batteries i will take some pictures. I've only had the tobacco get a sour bite from packing the bowl to much and smoking it to fast. Also tobacco that is really dry from my experience gets a bite to it.

Another trick to keeping a pipe lit is put your hand over the bowl and draw in some smoke. As you do this, slowly raise your hand off the bowl so that air can get in.