• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any of yall shave with a straight razor?

maduro89

Straight Razors and Whisky
Hello gentlemen,

I was thinking since smoking cigars is sort of a gentlemen's hobby, it made me wonder if any of yall wet shave with either a straight razor or double edge safety razor. I currently have 12 straight razors and 3 safety razors in my rotation. All but 2 of my straight razors are vintage being at least 80 tears old the other two are Dovos. As for my DEs, 2 are vintage Gillettes (one being a NEW from the 30s and a 1960 super speed) my other DE is a Feather all stainless AS-D1 which i'm very proud of! Of course I use a brush and shave bowl to lather and have a strop and what not.. soo.. to my wet shaving cigar aficionados, what do yall shave with?

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=53707&hl=%2Bshaving+%2Bthread&fromsearch=1

A four year old thread.

My newb response is a $13 DE Safety razor.

No. Sport a full beard. If I go the short and shaped beard, I use an electric. Once I went to electric, there was no looking back. Just a hell of a lot less hassle and time.
Still have my mug, brush, probably 2 soaps, and a couple of Razors (straight and safety).

No. Sport a full beard. If I go the short and shaped beard, I use an electric. Once I went to electric, there was no looking back. Just a hell of a lot less hassle and time.
Still have my mug, brush, probably 2 soaps, and a couple of Razors (straight and safety).

Will you ever go back from electric?

Ok. Well at the risk of being predictable. If you don't have a desire to bequeath you DE shaving gear to your decedents or a worthy cause of your choosing. It will alway have an open invite to join a good home with my $13 Sally's Beauty Supply Shave Factory razor.

But, I'm clear it is yours to do as you wish.

I'm going to see if I can get this thread going again with a few newb DE shaving post.

Enjoy the remainder of the long weekend.

-Tom

Last edited:
Ok. Well at the risk of being predictable. If you don't have a desire to bequeath you DE shaving gear to your decedents or a worthy cause of your choosing. It will alway have an open invite to join a good home with my $13 Sally's Beauty Supply Shave Factory razor.

I'm going to see if I can get this thread going again with a few newb DE shaving post.

-Tom
I thought it was made clear that trying to mooch off of people is unacceptable. It's his to do as he chooses, but he didn't offer it up, so it's inappropriate to imply that they should be sent to you. This has been done before by you and it has been brought to your attention and addressed by multiple members. Now if you offered up something to trade or even money, than that's a different story.

ETA one may question your motives for being a part of this community as you are repeating questionable behavior.

-Tom

Alligator mouth overloaded your hummingbird ass.

Again.

I have a merkur safety razor, Badger Bristle all the goodies. I love it... But would rather not shave.

I used to. Still have my '63 Gillette Fatboy and a couple speed shavers, a limited edition brush the Badger & Blade forum had made a few years back, a couple mugs . . . think the only shave cream I have left is Proraso, although Trumper's Mr. Taylor and Art of Shaving's Lemon were my favorites.

A couple years ago I skipped shaving over a two-week holiday break, and at the end of it I pretty much had a beard. Not my first full beard, and in fact I've had a goatee since I was about 19, but it usually takes me so much longer than that that I just decided to let it go ahead and grow, and here it still is. Santa Claus jokes notwithstanding. :oops:

Like Mad Monk, breaking out all that gear seemed like a lot to go through just to clean up the edges, so first I bought a bag of disposable twin blades and a can of Barbasol and then, eventually, I went back to and finally replaced my Norelco.

But I have to put in a word about the Norelco. :p

My first one was a 550TL, passed on to me by a girlfriend when her grandfather died. It was his, and I have no idea how long he'd had it, but this was back in the early Eighties, and I've had it and it's run, ever since. Through a couple head replacements, and eventually, through a couple lost screws that left the motor loose inside . . . but it would STILL run just fine if you held it right! In fact it still does, but I broke down and got a cordless one. A PT724/41 Shaver 3100, which was one of the cheaper models. And I really doubt it's going to last 40 years like the last one, but so far it's doing a heckuva job.

Unlike Mad Monk, if I ever go back to the goatee or (lol) my old fu manchu, I'll break out the DE gear again. I really like the shave.

~Boar

I've only owned two Norelcos my entire life. The first cordless I got at age 16 and it lasted me until I was about 36. Eventually the battery wouldn't hold a charge. The second is almost 10 years old and still going strong.