• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any other Peterson Racing Green pipe owners here?

Josh

Chronically Misinformed
Tuesday I picked up a Peterson Racing Green pipe, shape #87. Like such:

m_rg87.jpg

I absolutely love the way this pipe looks, and unfortunately I can't find it in the 69 shape as my local place couldn't get it from Peterson (even though they have it on their website) and I haven't found a website selling it either.

Anyway, after a couple of bowls I noticed that the green finish was all but completely gone on the right side of the pipe. It's now a normal brown briar color on the right side. I've now put seven or eight bowls through it, and the green is really faded on the other side. And no, it's not turning my hand green. I took it into the shop and got some line about how the pipe will darken when it is breaking in, then lighten back up some. However, it's not getting darker, it looks like the stain is just disappearing. When I mentioned that, the guy got kind of defensive, so I let it go for now.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I bought the pipe because of the beautiful stain, and am feeling pretty disappointed.

It smokes great though! Any thoughts?

Tuesday I picked up a Peterson Racing Green pipe, shape #87. Like such:

m_rg87.jpg

I absolutely love the way this pipe looks, and unfortunately I can't find it in the 69 shape as my local place couldn't get it from Peterson (even though they have it on their website) and I haven't found a website selling it either.

Anyway, after a couple of bowls I noticed that the green finish was all but completely gone on the right side of the pipe. It's now a normal brown briar color on the right side. I've now put seven or eight bowls through it, and the green is really faded on the other side. And no, it's not turning my hand green. I took it into the shop and got some line about how the pipe will darken when it is breaking in, then lighten back up some. However, it's not getting darker, it looks like the stain is just disappearing. When I mentioned that, the guy got kind of defensive, so I let it go for now.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I bought the pipe because of the beautiful stain, and am feeling pretty disappointed.

It smokes great though! Any thoughts?

My wife ordered the Racing Green #B10 for me in mid-Feb and it is still on back order. Based on your experience, I think I will have her contact them to get a refund and buy something else. I do not see a pipe going from green to brown and then back to green because stain is not applied within layers of the briar; only on top. Let us know if it does return to it's natural lustre, and I will order another one...

My wife ordered the Racing Green #B10 for me in mid-Feb and it is still on back order. Based on your experience, I think I will have her contact them to get a refund and buy something else. I do not see a pipe going from green to brown and then back to green because stain is not applied within layers of the briar; only on top. Let us know if it does return to it's natural lustre, and I will order another one...

I completely agree, but wasn't looking to get confrontation with the clerk. I think I'll just smoke it for a couple of weeks and then return it when it's completely brown. It gets a little closer every time I smoke it.

Peterson pipes are distributed from Ashton and those folks do not mess around. You might contact the web site and ask about the pipe turning a different color and tell them what the clerk offered in way of explaining the problem. Owning several of the upper end line of the Petersons I really like the way they smoke and from dealing with the rep from Ashton and have the met the Peterson factory rep they would want to know about this problem.

Doug

I have a RG B10 - no problems with the stain coming off that I can see.