• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

any over the counter cigars almost as good as top brands?

Leemahn

I know the RomeoyJuliet can be bought at Walgreens and other over the counter places. But is there some good quality cigars over the counter that you know of?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeegad ... purchasing cigars at a Walgreens!?! I bet those are stored well. :whistling:

You should be looking for a local CIGAR SHOP to purchase your cigars. R&J's can be good cigars and commonly found at a local CIGAR SHOP.

As for "over the counter" I am not sure what you mean ... as opposed to prescription cigars? I kid. I kid.

If you mean everyday cigars versus super premiums then you can find very good cigars (your own tastes may vary) for reasonable prices at a local cigar shop. Brands that come to mind would be R&J, Rocky Patel, Camacho, CAO, Partagas etc.

God luck on your search.

Hi Leemahn,

I'd have to agree with the other replies here. I've never encountered quality cigars in a convenience store. Some liquor stores (try out Specs if your in Houston), will have nice humidors and very good cigars. The drug store cigars are probably all dried out.

Allen

I do notice that some of the cigars sold over the counter have a sealed air-tight package around them.

I have shared many white owls, often in tubos, with my BOTTLES here at CP. Maybe some will share their experiences! (YBDMV)

I have shared many white owls, often in tubos, with my BOTTLES here at CP. Maybe some will share their experiences! (YBDMV)

The guy I saw buying a five pack of Dutch Masters at 7-11 this morning looked extremely satisfied. He had an ear to ear grin at 7:45 in the morning! ;)

I do notice that some of the cigars sold over the counter have a sealed air-tight package around them.

Great point. You can tell quality smokes by the care taken in packaging. (MBDDV)

I don't go to 7-11 to buy wine, and I don't go to Walgreens to buy cigars. Dude, that's just......wrong.

Why is it so hard for folks to understand the difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive"....??

Do yourself a favor and find a B&M cigar store in your area. Wander in, say hi, and ask what they offer in quality inexpensive smokes. You may be very surprised. There are a lot of very smokable sticks in the $2-5.00 range if one takes the time to look. Mail order wise, Holt's or Tampa Sweethearts has some decent low priced sticks as well.

Party on - B.B.S.

Search for "Poor Man's Review" thread. It'll give you some good tips on cheap sticks.

For fugg's sake...

Actually, I've had some decent experiences purchasing sticks from Shop-Rite.

"World Class" Shop-Rite locations have a tobacco counter where a large selection are on display in a humidity-controlled display counter. They have a pretty decent selection too. As with any sticks, I would make sure to rest them in my humidor for at least a few days to avoid most burn issues.

The only over the counter cigar,if you call it a cigar, I like sometimes is a swisher sweet.

I've got a tin of Macanudo Ascots that were purchased from the local CVS.... they were dry as could be but after about 10 days in a lunchidor they're not too bad... will probably be better after longer in the humidity...

I haven't posted in this thread until now because I didn't have much to offer to the OP, but I want to make a point here. Leemahn, if you're still reading, I hope you're lucky enough to have a B&M around you. If so I'd recommend you give them your business, even if it is for some bargain smokes. Heck, you may even get to know them and develop a friendship with them. I know it's easy to go to the chain drug store, but how about supporting the mom & pop shops around your neighborhood?

Every time I step into a humidor in a new place I always try to buy at least one stick, just to give them a little business (and I'm an impulse buyer!). I know that if we don't help support them then they'll disappear pretty quick.

Just my feelings on the issue.