• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any prairie dog hunters out there?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I am looking to plan a prairie dog hunt in late spring or early summer and am wondering if anyone can provide any insight?

We are open to go any time and any place in the good hunting states of SD, Nebraska, Wyoming, Kansas, etc. The more rustic, secluded, the better!

Not really interested in a guided hunt as this is more about the camaraderie and an opportunity to hone some shooting skills. Hoping to find a land owner who is looking to have some dogs taken off the land.

Yeah do eat them or just to get them off the property?

If I'm not mistaken, prarie dogs are a varmint like a opossum. Nasty little creatures that are hunted for nothing more than population control.

Take a .50cal!

CLICK

If I'm not mistaken, prarie dogs are a varmint like a opossum. Nasty little creatures that are hunted for nothing more than population control.

Take a .50cal!

CLICK

That's awesome. Thanks for the link. Forward one up to PETA LOL

Prarie dogs are rats who dig. I watched a hawk hit one the other day - took him 20 minutes to strangle the little bugger, but he did eventually fly away with a meal. Jeff, the tree huggers would get you if you hunted on public land. I think that a private property hunt is the only way to go. Property owners have the right to do with them as they please in Colorado. Most in populated areas chose not to risk the publicity of a prarie dog shoot.

Prarie dogs are rats who dig. I watched a hawk hit one the other day - took him 20 minutes to strangle the little bugger, but he did eventually fly away with a meal. Jeff, the tree huggers would get you if you hunted on public land. I think that a private property hunt is the only way to go. Property owners have the right to do with them as they please in Colorado. Most in populated areas chose not to risk the publicity of a prarie dog shoot.

Yeah Bruce, we are thinking South Dakota and from what I understand the land owners desperately need them controlled, so we will be happy to oblige :D

What we need to figure out is exactly where, where to stay, how much ammo to bring, local watering hole, etc.

Yeah Bruce, we are thinking South Dakota and from what I understand the land owners desperately need them controlled, so we will be happy to oblige :D

What we need to figure out is exactly where, where to stay, how much ammo to bring, local watering hole, etc.

Sounds like fun. We don't really have Prarie dogs here in CA, but I do like shooting ground squirrels, same basic thing. Good luck.

They are a hoot to shoot. We have been in Kansas and all we did is knock on doors. Most farmers or ranchers will be happy to let you on their property. They are a horrible pest for them that ends up costing money. My choice of weapons would be a 22-250 for long range and a good 22 for anything under a 100yrds. A semi 223 works wonders as well. The best time to go is after the young ones are born and old enough to get out of their holes and run around. "their dumb as rocks" Hope you have fun and good luck.

Theres tons of prairie dogs here, but I think they're protected and/or on the endangered species list? I think they're the black footed ones or somethin.

They are a hoot to shoot. We have been in Kansas and all we did is knock on doors. Most farmers or ranchers will be happy to let you on their property. They are a horrible pest for them that ends up costing money. My choice of weapons would be a 22-250 for long range and a good 22 for anything under a 100yrds. A semi 223 works wonders as well. The best time to go is after the young ones are born and old enough to get out of their holes and run around. "their dumb as rocks" Hope you have fun and good luck.

Can't wait! Between the four of us we should have the weapons covered with a .17, a few 22-250's, a .243, a 300 mag, a .300 Savage, and a couple 30-06's.

Hehe the 30-06 is going to turn that prairie dog into a Jackson Pollock.

My vote is for the 300 win mag. That is going to ruin some dogs day.

They are RAMPANT in West Texas. I went to college in Lubbock and we used to shoot them all the time on the weekends. We would go pheasant or dove hunting and take our rifles just to shoot the prairie dogs. It got to the point we would have more fun shooting the varmints and would leave the shotguns at home. We had our best luck in the mornings when they would come out of their hole to sun. They would stand straight up outside the hole and BOOM!! :laugh: