• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any recommendations for a home printer?

MadMonk

I ordered a printer and after well over a week I get an email "out of stock". 
Need to get something. Right now I'm on driving restriction due to a back issue. So, going to local store out of the question and, I really need something.

Anybody have any opinions on a good reliable printer at around 200 bucks?
I am thinking about trying a laser versus inkjet. Last two inkjets lasted about a year before new cartridges were being rejected as "out of date" I must have gone back and forth to Staples 20 times.

The one I ordered was black and white only. Amazon has it and when I found it, it was about 20 bucks total cost over what I had ordered. I just checked and it has dropped significantly in price!

I'd rather have color but, right now I just need something utilitarian. As long as I can stay in that $200.00 range.
Figured maybe I'd ask you folks before I get the Black and White job.

This is the black and white one :

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036TGGW8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=21TAF0N0DFI6Y&coliid=I2DTNUITEPQKQD

Thanks!

Danno

Dan, I've had a Canon MX850 ink jet for a few years and LOVE the thing except for one issue.....it often doesn't get used for a couple weeks and the darn ink tanks dry out / clog up.  If you use it every two or three days or so, it's a wonderful printer, but we don't and it's frustrating to have to fiddle with it to use it.  I even went so far as to replace the print head once, same issues.

I've been thinking about a color laser.  This is the one I've been looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BS6WYHC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

It's gotten reasonably good reviews, and the fantastic luck we had with our existing Canon printer make me willing to give it a try.  

I think the long and short of it is the cost per page is higher with a laser, but if it doesn't require me to rebuild it ever time I use it, I figure I'm ahead.   We don't print hundreds of documents, anyway.

JMHO......B.B.S.

I've been using a Samsung CLP 6 series color laser for a couple of years with no issues.  I would assume their less featured units would be just as reliable.

Matt, if it sits for a couple weeks, any issues seen with it?  That's my only beef with my Canon.....

So, Tom, are you saying that the laserjet shouldn't clog up with lack of constant use? If so, that is very compelling.

That's my understanding, Dan.  There's nothing to 'dry out' per se.....as I understand it.  I'm very interested if I've got the wrong impression here.....

BlindedByScience said:
Matt, if it sits for a couple weeks, any issues seen with it?  That's my only beef with my Canon.....
Nope, nothing wet to dry out thicken up or get sticky.  Not good for pictures on photo paper but everything else...perfect.

MadMonk said:

I ordered a printer and after well over a week I get an email "out of stock". 
Need to get something. Right now I'm on driving restriction due to a back issue. So, going to local store out of the question and, I really need something.

Anybody have any opinions on a good reliable printer at around 200 bucks?
I am thinking about trying a laser versus inkjet. Last two inkjets lasted about a year before new cartridges were being rejected as "out of date" I must have gone back and forth to Staples 20 times.

The one I ordered was black and white only. Amazon has it and when I found it, it was about 20 bucks total cost over what I had ordered. I just checked and it has dropped significantly in price!

I'd rather have color but, right now I just need something utilitarian. As long as I can stay in that $200.00 range.
Figured maybe I'd ask you folks before I get the Black and White job.

This is the black and white one :

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036TGGW8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=21TAF0N0DFI6Y&coliid=I2DTNUITEPQKQD

Thanks!

Danno

Multi function - we are ordering HP LJ Pro 400 (425DN) - MFP M425DN

Desktop - some basic Brothers work just fine.

Make sure to check cartridge pricing - that's how they run the cost up and make their real money.