• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any recommendations for a newbie?

StevenGarske

Hey Guys,

Do you have any recommendations for a beginner? A good, moderately priced beginner stogie?

I've tried the Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8's and I really enjoyed those.

Where should I go from there??

Thanks alot...

- Steven

Oliva Connecticut blends are great. Very mellow and toasty, and not a bad price. :thumbs:

As a newbie myself I would highly recommend the newbie sampler trade. You should be able to work our a deal were you can sample a selection of cigars to your liking and price range. It worked for me and gave me an excellent start.

Welcome Steven. When you go to your shop this weekend, tell the tobaconist what you liked and disliked about the 858 and if they are worth their sand, they will be able to point you in the right direction. Try alot of different smokes when you're starting out and take notes on what you like about them and what you didn't like about them. Either post that info here or talk to your local shop about it and recommendations should be easy from there. There is an outstanding BOTL here that has a shop in SoCal named StinkiMonki (Geoff) that has a great shop with knowledgeable staff. I'm not sure how close you are to him but it might well be worth the drive.

Hey, welcome to the boards! I'm new as well. I'm not sure if you'd be interested or not but I just ordered my first sampler from cigar.com. You get 16 cigars for $35 USD which is not bad at all.

Heres the link:Consultants' Choice Picks for Dad Sampler

The newbie sampler thread seems like a great idea also. I intend to get involved with it but I live in Canada so it's a little more complicated for me.

Cheers,
Zeek

Hey Guys,

Do you have any recommendations for a beginner? A good, moderately priced beginner stogie?

I've tried the Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8's and I really enjoyed those.

Where should I go from there??

Thanks alot...

- Steven

Welcome Steven!

Contact one of our great vendors (like Jim "Keystone Raider") and pick up some of the x000 series Padrons. For the money, I don't know that you can find a better smoke.

Thanks alot guys.
I do plan on doing a newbie sampler trade in the near future.
I just needed a few ideas to set me up for my graduation (my school lets us smoke during the ceremony) :D

Thanks alot guys.
I just needed a few ideas to set me up for my graduation (my school lets us smoke during the ceremony) :D
In California????? Thats a surprise

Thanks alot guys.
Also, when is your graduation? Congrats

Haha no I'm not joking. As soon as we get our diplomas we're able to light up. Its a tradition thats been going on at my school since it was founded (in 1865). I think its a pretty good way to end my high school career.

Thanks alot Chris. Graduation is on June 6th, so I have a couple of weeks to prepare.

Congratulations on graduating. For such a special occasion, I might suggest you pick up a Padron Anniversario or Padron 1926. They are expensive but extremely delicious. Worth every penny and a great way to celebrate.

I had a couple non-cigar-smoker friends of mine start with padrons...2000 or 3000...cannot go wrong in my opinion! And it should be easier for you to get them in the states...In Canada, specially Montreal, they are VERY hard to find.

Lets see here...The Punch Rothchild is a good start. Still pretty cheap after the SCHIP bill. You always have the Padron 1k to 7k line to look at. JdN lines is another good start. Way to many to pick from. Best advice is goto a B&M shop and talk to one of the employees if you can. If they are worth their salt, you can tell them what you enjoy in foods, booze, tea, coffee and other things in life. When you start to describe the flavors you enjoy, they should be able to recommend something. I stress the word should be able too. Every B&M shop I've been in, their employees can recommend a cigar I enjoy.

I wouldn't suggest stocking up on any one or two cigars you find to your liking......as a newbie your tastes will likely change often. I agree the newbie sampler trade is the way to go. I've been smoking nearly 20 years and I still find myself aternating from wanting spice bombs, to reaching for more creamy, smooth smokes, to wanting a tangy corojo, to wanting a ligero bomb.....etc

Thanks guys
I actually did that today...the employee recommended a Gurkha 1887 Red Rothchild
Ill try it this weekend and see what I think...
The only others I have in the humi now are two Cohiba Maduro 5 Secretos. I had one last week (AMAZING), and plan on lettin these two age.
(Luckily I didnt have to buy those haha)
Other than those I keep on planning to get singles here and there until I become more experienced and find what I like

Welcome! And congratulations! Now that high school's over, it's time for the real stuff! ;)

I would second the suggestion of any Padrón. I personally prefer the Padrón 2000 natural over the maduro, but taste a few of each and see what you like best.

I also highly recommend the Arturo Fuente Hemingways (in this case I prefer the maduro wrapper over the natural).

Welcome to CP!

Lot's of good advice to be found here for sure.

Have you ever been into the B&M in Port's O Call? I was down there last Tuesday and they were closed. Was curious if they are a true cigar shop or a tourist trap?

Danny