• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any thoughts on Edge Star 28 Thermoelectric Coolers compared to Vinos?

Any thoughts on Edge Star 28 Thermoelectric Coolers compared to Vinos?

It is a 28-bottle, thermoelectric. It's nearly identical in size and function to the Vinotemp 28. I may have a lead on running a GB at an incredible price and wanted to see if anyone has one of these and had good results before going any further. The vinotemp has long been the model of choice, but finding them at a good price has left many people wanting an alternate.

Features:
115 volts - 65 watts
28 bottle capacity
Adjustable thermostat for storing different wine varietals
Auto defrost
EdgeStar Deluxe 28 Bottle Wine Cooler
Includes 6 chrome racks
Internal fan to evenly circulate air within the wine cooler- ensuring even temperature distribution
Reversible door
Silver frame
Slide-out chrome racks
Soft interior LED lighting to proudly display your wine collection
Solid state components for long life- the only moving parts are fans to circulate cool air within the wine cooler and dissipate heat outside the unit
State-of-the-art thermoelectric technology cools with no harmful vibration
Vibration-free thermoelectric cooling
Warranty: 90 days parts and labor. One year parts

:)

I haven't heard anything but if you run a group buy I be very interested.

David

I can't commit for certain right now, but I may be interested as well.

Interesting that the Amazon link offered the cooler and a Nintendo Wii as a package deal.

GB interest for sure...unfortunetly I cannot offer any feedback on the unit.

:thumbs:

I've not heard a bad word. Let us know the $$ when you can.

- KiltLad

Even though I just bought my Vinotemp to use as a humidor. I would be interested in onother wine cooler as i do store wine as well.

I've got the back off and the temp control out of mine right now to check how I can retrofit a digital thermostat. Les and I have both noticed that the Warmest setting has the cooler sitting at 60 degrees. It's a beautiful cooler and should work well. Actually, I'll pop over to the Puff forum to ask about the temp experiences of folks on that board. The fact that Chuck (ChasDen) is already set up to make trays for the Vino and the EdgeStar, leads me to believe that this unit's been used for cigars for at least a little while. I won't be concerned about mine being up and running until my cedar trays are shipping or I get close to my surgery date...whichever comes first.

I'm extremely interested as well. How would a group buy of this size work? LoL. Either way though, if it gets us a few bucks off...NICE!

Thanks much!,

Aaron

PS: If you do run this group buy...can we see if we can swap out the metal racks for those wooden ones??? :)

I'm extremely interested as well. How would a group buy of this size work? LoL. Either way though, if it gets us a few bucks off...NICE!

Thanks much!,

Aaron

PS: If you do run this group buy...can we see if we can swap out the metal racks for those wooden ones??? :)

If there's enough interest, I can ask about the wood racks for you.

One thing that has come up about these is the lack of digital temp control. I belive these only have a Hi/Med/Lo temp control. It may be a non-issue, since most would keep it on high, which is ~65 deg., about the same as a vino on max temp as well.

Thanks much!,

Aaron

If there's enough interest, I can ask about the wood racks for you.

One thing that has come up about these is the lack of digital temp control. I belive these only have a Hi/Med/Lo temp control. It may be a non-issue, since most would keep it on high, which is ~65 deg., about the same as a vino on max temp as well.
Temp control is infinitely variable between Warmer to Colder. Warmest temp observed so far is 61 degrees. I spoke to EdgeStar yesterday about the specifics of the temp control system, but the person I spoke to had no idea of what I was talking about. It's a simple PI loop configuration, but I haven't checked the millivolt range coming back to the board yet (had to reformat and reload my laptop). Let me ask you this though...what's the effect of the cooler running at 60 degrees on the cigars? I believe that the lower temp would effect the aging process, but I don't know what else. I have no doubt that I can get the temp to come up higher than the 61 degrees that I'm seeing at the moment...but what's to be gained by doing so?

Thanks,
Walt

Later Edit: Temps up to 63 degrees with an ambient 76 degrees. I don't believe that there will be any temperature issues with this unit. :thumbs:

Just incase there's any questions about this unit's performance...here's how the unit handled its first hotter day. Picture shows ambient temp and temp transmitted via a wireless temp probe inside the cooler. I got mine just in time. :thumbs:

Temps.jpg

As klipsch mentioned, the unit does not come with a digital temperature controller. I found mine to run a little bit loud as well. See HERE for unit information.

I'm waiting on my shipment from Chuck which should be any time now. I'll take some photos once its all done. So far, I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Ambient temp 72. The thermometer in the pic's above reads 64 degrees at the top of the cooler. My digi hygro mounted on the front of one of the humi's nearly against the glass door at about mid cooler, reads 66 degrees with 68% RH. So the temp seems to be right where I want it taking into consideration that the cooler has very little open air space to circulate the air inside. I'll know better about the coolers behavior once my cedar trays arrive. So far...so good. :thumbs:

Ambient temp 72. The thermometer in the pic's above reads 64 degrees at the top of the cooler. My digi hygro mounted on the front of one of the humi's nearly against the glass door at about mid cooler, reads 66 degrees with 68% RH. So the temp seems to be right where I want it taking into consideration that the cooler has very little open air space to circulate the air inside. I'll know better about the coolers behavior once my cedar trays arrive. So far...so good. :thumbs:

Yours getting shipped this week too ?