• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any tips on cooling off a room?

Turk10mm

Just smokin
Ok, so I have my dedicated man room that my wife so graciously donated to me, from HER house before we were married. Basically, when we were just dating I moved in and immediately got some realestate of my own. Well, in my man room is my Aristocrat Temp Controlled Humidor, computer equipment out the wazoo (my livelyhood), my work bench for my hobbies, etc. Well, in the winter time when the A/C doesn't run that often, it gets damn hot in here. I've resorted to opening the window, but I'm looking for a different alternative.

My man room and the spare bedroom are side by side, that both open into an office nook. The office nook opens into the great room. The air just outside of my manroom door is a couple of degrees cooler than my room itself, and just outside of the nook in the great room, its perfectly pleasant. Due to the electronics in here, without the AC blowing fairly constant it gets stuffy very quickly. I'd thought about placing one of those tower occilating fans in the nook and attempt to move some of the cooler air from in there into here through the doorway. I just don't know if that's going to work.

I'm getting tired of my aristocrat firing up ever 20 minutes to run the peltiers to keep it below 72 in there. My room typically runs about 75, but this time of year it gets upwards of 77 which is damn uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any suggestions? A standalone AC unit is out of the question as is anything that makes very much noise.

Edited to add: Our thermostat is set to 72 degrees year round. The rest of the house stays 72 without any problem, but the thermostat is on the other side of the house, so my warm room doesn't have any effect.
Also, a window unit is out of the question. The homeowners association lady that drives around and sends out nasty letters would have a heartattack and probably crash into my house if she saw it. The fence starts just behind my window.

Thanks
Tony

77 is too hot? Wish I could say the same! I'm comfortable in the mid 80's.

Can you try installing a wall AC unit? That way you won't have to use the central air, thus saving money. You could also try a swamp cooler, though not sure if it will make much of a difference. Assuming your cigars don't go too far above 80F, I'd say you're fine, but then again, that's just my opinion.

I never knew what a swamp cooler was until I got stationed in California. From my experience of living in South Texas though, a swamp cooler normally wouldn't cut it, but because it's only 77, it may work in this case. Depending on the size of the room, I think the fan Idea may work. Above 80 degrees, yikes! That's beetle weather

What about those window fan only units that's flat and either pushes or pulls air in from outside?

Ery

Why not one of those little window ac units?

If you're looking to kill some heat from the computers, you could liquid cool the computers, rather than air cool... but that's a pain if it's new territory for you. Are you running CRTs or LCDs on it/them?

Before I moved into my new pad, my old apartment had a similar problem - specifically my bedroom. Corner room. Third floor. Summer. Thermostat on other side of apt. High end computer in said room. It got about 79-83 in there constantly. In lieu of a window unit, look at some of the cooling options by Adobe Air. I used one and loved it. If it wouldn't be nine bagillion dollars and a huge pain in the ass to ship, it'd be yours.

Adobe Air

Their mobile units are really great. If you get one of the mobile units on wheels, get a small one of those rubber/polycarbonate hard chairmats you see at office supply stores. That's what I did - wheels didn't ruin my carpet.

Best of luck. I felt your pain at one point.

Portable AC unit. You'll only need to open the window for the vent hose which attached to an insert for your window.

KY44B.JPG

Echo on the portable AC unit, it vents to the outside but everything is contained inside the room.

Move the cabinet away from the wall to offer some separation and assist the air flow behind it. I would also get a small vornado fan to help with room circulation. That should get you a few degrees of relief in the room. Remember every time the peliters go on they generate additional heat in the room. Also does the room have a ceiling fan? If not try to get one installed.