• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any veggie gardeners?

Old Smokey

Just wondered if anyone else enjoyed growing a garden? This is only my 3rd year and have kind of gravitated towards tomatoes. The first 2 years were successful and I hope more of the same this year. I am focusing on heirlooms this year and have had 29 plants in the ground for 3 weeks and so far they are doing well. I also planted 3 mild pepper plants. 2 Shishito and 1 Cubanelle.
Any other gardeners?

My family has been in the produce business since 1919. We don't peddle our fruit and vegetables door to door anymore nor do we have a store, but we all still have gardens. I don't know what it's like to not have one.
Here in the frozen Northeast only a damn flatlander would plant his tomatoes before traditional Memorial day, but the cold weather crops are in. My daughter has the biggest garden these days. She does all the fancy hippie stuff. Certified organic, raised beds, clochets etc. It snowed at her house today. She does quite well for herself along with her free range chickens.

Doc

My family has been in the produce business since 1919. We don't peddle our fruit and vegetables door to door anymore nor do we have a store, but we all still have gardens. I don't know what it's like to not have one.
Here in the frozen Northeast only a damn flatlander would plant his tomatoes before traditional Memorial day, but the cold weather crops are in. My daughter has the biggest garden these days. She does all the fancy hippie stuff. Certified organic, raised beds, clochets etc. It snowed at her house today. She does quite well for herself along with her free range chickens.

Doc

Thanks Doc. I live in the SW corner of MO (Joplin) and waited until 10 days after avg. last frost to plant. I made sure they were hardened off good while I waited. I semi-retired back in March and have really enjoyed having the extra time to play in the dirt.
My wife thinks I need to seek help for planting so many tomato plants. She may be right. But we have 3 kids, 8 grandkids, several friends and neighbors to eat these things. And I enjoy giving others who love them my tomatoes. 5 neighbors have asked me if I was planting tomatoes again this year and said if I had extra they would love to have some. I am just having fun.

We plant veggies every year. A good day to me in the summer is waking up, having my coffee and breakfast and then tending to the gardens. We usually grow tons of tomatoes, squashes, carrots, lettuce, and herbs.

Yep, grow a garden every year.
Potatos - Tomatoes - Sweet and hot peppers - Beans - Okra - Carrots - Sweet Corn
Everything is in the ground now.
Didn't have a opportunity to start the tobacco this year, too busy with work, but I have plenty in storage to work with.

I love vegetable gardening. It amazes me how I can have something as small as a seed, grow into a tomato or other vegetables, I just like growing things. I typically do all heirloom tomatoes, along with potatoes/jalapenos/bell peppers/cucumber/squash/zucchini. I've grown cold weather crops (broccoli/brussel sprouts/cabbage) but the summer vegetables are what I do most. I normally do cut back my tomatoes/peppers by 1/3 in the fall, you'd be surprised how well they do after that little trimming.

What varieties of tomatoes do you all grow? This is my first year of focusing on heirlooms and am growing 5 Akers West Virginia, 4 Big Beef, 1 Golden Girl, 1 Big Rainbow, 2 Mortgage Lifter, 4 Brandywine Red, 4 Cherokee Purple, 4 Black Krim, 2 Boxcar Willie and 2 Omar's Lebanese and 1 yellow Cherry that a friend gave me to try.

This would have been my third year but last year was so disastrous I just can't bring myself to do it this year. Oh and the wife constantly complaining about me spending all that time in the garden didn't help either.

This would have been my third year but last year was so disastrous I just can't bring myself to do it this year. Oh and the wife constantly complaining about me spending all that time in the garden didn't help either.

Sorry to hear that. What went so badly with the garden?
As far as your wife complaining, give it a few more years and she will likely be glad you are in the garden.

Not gardening but this thread has had "in season" produce on my mind. Picked up some farm fresh tomatoes on a highway exit. Dang! Delicious! (Provolone and tomato sandwich!)

Not gardening but this thread has had "in season" produce on my mind. Picked up some farm fresh tomatoes on a highway exit. Dang! Delicious! (Provolone and tomato sandwich!)

I am still at least 4-6 weeks from having a ripe tomato and my mouth is watering thinking about it. We have a great Farmers Market about 10 minutes from home and I think I am going to go look for some fresh tomatoes. I went last week and saw a guy that had some and priced at $4 lb he had a long line of buyers. Which then means I will need to drive another 15 minutes to get some of the honest to goodness best bacon I have ever eaten where they smoke it the old fashioned way and then slice to order.

Bacon and tomato sandwiches are incredible. And yup, mayo. Add an ear of sweet corn and cottage cheese and it is probably my favorite meal.

I am still at least 4-6 weeks from having a ripe tomato and my mouth is watering thinking about it. We have a great Farmers Market about 10 minutes from home and I think I am going to go look for some fresh tomatoes. I went last week and saw a guy that had some and priced at $4 lb he had a long line of buyers. Which then means I will need to drive another 15 minutes to get some of the honest to goodness best bacon I have ever eaten where they smoke it the old fashioned way and then slice to order.
Geez, be careful. There's a lot of unscrupulous people in the produce business passing off California or Florida tomatoes for natives.

Doc

Bacon and tomato sandwiches are incredible. And yup, mayo. Add an ear of sweet corn and cottage cheese and it is probably my favorite meal.
Yea, got some sweet corn, strawberries (very good this year), and Vidalia Onion. Hate Vidalias in cooking but raw on a burger or in a salad or salsa, pretty good.