• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any veggie gardeners?

I usually have a garden but not this year but it wasn't for lack of trying. I've been at this place for 20 years and it was always safe to have things in the ground Apr 25th to May 1st. Not this year. We had a frost on May 10th and I was out of town. Killed everything. 64 pepper plants, 4 cucs, 6 tomatoes and a bunch of herbs.

Man, that sucks. This has been a really strange spring and am sure lots of gardens haven't survived. You aren't gonna try to replant even a few goodies? That's a lot of work to just totally walk away from. I feel for ya whatever you decide.

Just survived the first real hail storm of the season, mostly because the seedlings hadn't made it above ground. Last year we got a foot of snow on Mother's Day, and three weeks of heavy rain after that made for a very short season. Hoping for better this year.

The largest part of my garden is underwater. I need to be mounding the potato's, but haven't had enough clear days to dry the soil enough to till. They're gonna shoot up and kill my yield if this keeps up.

I'm growing weeds this year, low maintenance ya know.

Man, that sucks. This has been a really strange spring and am sure lots of gardens haven't survived. You aren't gonna try to replant even a few goodies? That's a lot of work to just totally walk away from. I feel for ya whatever you decide.

I usually have a garden but not this year but it wasn't for lack of trying. I've been at this place for 20 years and it was always safe to have things in the ground Apr 25th to May 1st. Not this year. We had a frost on May 10th and I was out of town. Killed everything. 64 pepper plants, 4 cucs, 6 tomatoes and a bunch of herbs.
Welcome to my world.

Doc

Since we have been warming up my tomato garden is exploding with growth, blooms and fruit set. I was getting concerned because so many blooms just died without pollinating and fruiting. I guess I was just needed patience and warmer weather.

Picked my first 7 tomatoes last Tuesday and have had 5 more ripen since. All have been small, like oversized golf balls. These plants were supposed to produce 1/2-1# tomatoes, so something is wrong. I think there must have been a seed mixup somewhere since all of the maters on the plants and small. They taste damn good though.

Also a few sweet peppers (Shishito) have met their demise, mostly in breakfast omelettes. Several will get blistered up on the grill this weekend along side some ribeyes. Happy Fathers Day to the fathers out there.

I tossed our pumpkins from last year into a large pot of soil, and I got tons of sprouts. I just planted them all in the back, and have a little pumpkin patch. Looks like we'll get close to 20+ pumpkins!

Must be nice living in a place that has an actual growing season. I won't see a ripe tomato until the end of July, beginning of August.
Strawberries should be ready soon, though.

Doc

What you may lack in growing season you make up for in maple season, Doc. I'm jealous of that.

Must be nice living in a place that has an actual growing season. I won't see a ripe tomato until the end of July, beginning of August.
Strawberries should be ready soon, though.

Doc

I love growing tomatoes and this is the one thing that pisses me off about it.

What you may lack in growing season you make up for in maple season, Doc. I'm jealous of that.
Record breaking season this year and from what I hear, the price isn't coming down. Vermont, of course, led the U.S. in production, and Quebec led the world, as usual.

Doc