• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Woodworkers in the house?

Jonesy

Got Ink ?
Earlier this year my Grandparents moved from their home in Connecticut to an assisted living community in New Hampshire. I was asked if there was anything from the house that I would like when they moved. I asked my Grandfather if I could have his chess set. This set was bought for my Grandfather by my Grandmother for a Birthday when they vacationed in Puerto Rico one summer when they were first married. 4 generations of Joneses have played on this board and 3 generations have learned to play from my Grandfather on this board. He is now dying of cancer so this set has enormous meaning to me. My Cocker Spaniel got ahold of one of the Castles after my son and I played one evening and it's beyond repair. I was wondering if there was anyone of you that dealt in woodworking and might be able to fashion a new castle for me. It's about an inch and a half tall and an inch in diameter. I would pay cash or trade cigars for this service. I will send both the good castle and the damaged to you to model the new one after. I took a pic and I know it's crappy, but I'm no photographer so you'll have to excuse me for that. Thank you in advance and if someone is able to do this for me, you will be well compensated for your work.

Brian

Pic034.jpg

I wish I could help you out, but that looks like it's likely beyond my scope of ability. It's going to take some mad lathe skills to get that just right.

Good luck to you.

I wouldn't need it to be exactly on...just somewhat like the original. Anything would be better than the chewed up piece.

Might be a lil easier to get some stainable wood filler and patch the damage, then restain and revarnish. I can work a lathe but something that small is a nightmare to craft.

I don't have the tools, but my old woodshop teacher does phenomenal (sp) work. I'll be in my hometown tomorrow. I'll try to catch him and see if he's up to the challenge. Do you know what type of wood it is or did I not read the post close enough?

Might be a lil easier to get some stainable wood filler and patch the damage, then restain and revarnish. I can work a lathe but something that small is a nightmare to craft.
I know with the picture I took you can't see it very well, but the damage is fairly severe and I don't think a patch job would work. The top of the Rook has a "lip" and that's what Harry has chewed off. If it weren't for that, I probably could try to sand it and then restain.

I don't have the tools, but my old woodshop teacher does phenomenal (sp) work. I'll be in my hometown tomorrow. I'll try to catch him and see if he's up to the challenge. Do you know what type of wood it is or did I not read the post close enough?
I have no idea what the wood is. To me, the type of wood used wouldn't be that big of a deal, I'm just looking for something to end up pretty close to the original.

Brian - on chewed pieces like this it is possible to strip and steam in order to repair, but I can't quite tell from the picture. If you can get a better pic of the chewed one I may be able to help. Also any idea of the wood type?

Brian:

I love working with wood but I don't have a lathe.

Anyway, I wish your gtrandfather the best and hope you get to spend some quality time with him.

Good luck getting this done.

Jeff

Brian consider this done, I will either swing by your place Friday or Saturday and pick up the pieces and pops will fix one up for you.

Nate