• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anybody ever tried to make a corncob pipe?

Eshaw99

Just livin' the dream
With corn being so dadgum abundant here in Indiana, I'd like to try to make me a little corncob pipe. Has anybody ever had any experience with this?

With corn being so dadgum abundant here in Indiana, I'd like to try to make me a little corncob pipe. Has anybody ever had any experience with this?

Well, you could try it with a section of cob and a piece of hollowed out reed or bamboo. I'm sure they were made this way prior to Missouri Meerschaum coming on the scene. You could check their web page for their history and maybe get some tips there.
I think you'd want to use a variety that has a thick and very dense cob at the very least. Might be an interesting project. Let us know how it turns out. :thumbs:

I have one my grandpa made in the '60s form Indiana corn. It's just a hollowed out section of cob with a clay-filled bottom. It has a length of bamboo for a stem. I've never even thought of smoking it, but he did for many years.

The main problem you may have is these days farmers want more actual corn than cob. The cobs of most of today's field corn are awfully small.

Good Luck!

with a clay-filled bottom.

Good Luck!

I snipped your post, 'cause the "clay-filled bottom" is important. MM puts a hardwood plug in theirs, but clay or 'pipe mud' (cigar ash mixed to a paste with a little water) would do the trick.

You soon will be able to walk the harvested fields of Indiana looking for the right sized cobs. Watch out for the snipes though... they bite :(

Would be neat if one could take one with the kernels on it to make a cob pipe. Varnish the kernels to the cob to preserve it. Would keep it cool and and look cool at the same time.