• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anybody here a picker?

I was a music major and play all types of instruments and different types of music. Mainly guitar but piano, bass and most brass instruments are in my arsenal. I played blues and jazz professionally for awhile. Mostly I just play for my own amusement nowadays. I love to talk music, anytime.

I always wondered if your name was a Clapton reference..

Speaking of Clapton, his unplugged album is one of the best acoustic albums I've ever heard

BB King is playing the city auditorium here in macon tomorrow night and you can bet I will be there. :love: :thumbs: :D
Clapton is the best IMO with the electric or acoustic.The unplugged is awsome and his 24 nights at albert hall is too.
P.S. Stevie Ray Vaughn was pretty damn good too :thumbs:

Stevie Ray is one of my all-time favorites. Sucks that he's gone, but Kenny Wayne Shepherd does a pretty damn good job in my opinion of carrying the torch.

I have owned and picked on guitars for 30 years. I always seem to put them away before I get good at it. My younger brother is a real guitar player and he has most of the guitars I once owned. I currently own a Yamaha accoutic and a relatively new Les Paul. Still don't have much time to play but I am not selling these.

Played bass for about 5 years before I realized I didn't have any talent. :(

Eshaw99 said:
Stevie Ray is one of my all-time favorites. Sucks that he's gone, but Kenny Wayne Shepherd does a pretty damn good job in my opinion of carrying the torch.
[snapback]149170[/snapback]​

Just my opinion, but the newest KWS blows. I think Kenny has talent, but his playing doesn't have nearly the soul that SRV had. I think Jonny Lang comes a lot closer to "feeling" the music than KWS does (when comparing the two of them). There are so many great guitarists out there that it's really hard to say any one is better than the other. I've never really been a big fan of ZZ Top as a group, but Billy Gibbons is just f'in hot on the guitar. While not really a "blues" guitarist, I've always thought of Steve Vai as guitarist who becomes part of the instrument when playing.

While Billy was in the band Moving Sidewalks he opened for Jimi Hendrix in 1968. Hendrix is on record saying that Billy "was the most notable new guitarist he met…" You don't get any higher praise then that!

Matt R said:
I've never really been a big fan of ZZ Top as a group, but Billy Gibbons is just f'in hot on the guitar.
[snapback]149227[/snapback]​

Matt R, your not the first to say that about the newest KWS album, but I read an interview with him about two years before it came out, and to the best of my understanding, here's why he did it. During those 5 years he didn't release anything, he was going through some problems with substance abuse (really following SRV's footsteps wasn't he?). Anyway, after he got clean, he and Noah Hunt started writing like crazy. He wrote a ton of blues stuff, but he also wrote a lot of rock stuff. He didn't want to put out an album with no continuity, so his plan was to release a rock album, and then a blues album. "The Place You're In" is his rock release. I don't like it near as much as his previous work, but I appreciate it for what it is. Word is that KWS is also finishing up a blues documentary that he put together for PBS. Apparently, he traveled to all the old juke joints of the south and performed with some pretty big names. I know he went through Clarksdale, MS which hits home for me, because that's where my grandparents live. Lots of blues history there.

Eshaw99 said:
Is this DC fond of a certain '57 strat?? :whistling:
[snapback]149119[/snapback]​

Very... :love:

I have about seventy-five guitars in my collection and have been playing for over thirty-five years.

It is an original Black '57. According to Fender only three were custom made this way.

Also have a '50 Broadcaster and a '51 Nocaster.

History... :)