• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone been to Cuba?

Ironworker

CP's Official Construction Contractor
I was thinking it might be a fun vacation to plan with the wife or a couple clients.
I would go for the fishing and cigars.

I know americans can travel there just not sure of the quality of stay.

any information would be great.

Rich

I hear they have some world class fishing off Cuba's coast.

I would love to do some bill fishing.

ree ree robusto said:
Never been only saw it when I was sky diving off of Sugar Loaf Key, FL.

Ree
[snapback]193076[/snapback]​
LOL...now that's a long way to be diving off Sugarloaf.

emodx said:
ree ree robusto said:

Ree
[snapback]193131[/snapback]​

I don't know where sugar loaf is but you get pretty damn high when your sky diving.

Ironworker said:
emodx said:
ree ree robusto said:

Ree
[snapback]193131[/snapback]​

I don't know where sugar loaf is but you get pretty damn high when your sky diving.
[snapback]193132[/snapback]​
My ex lives a couple miles from the airport there. That area is absolutely beautiful.

i am probably wrong, but aren't american citizens banned from travel to cuba? i thought i saw that on the Dept. of State website.

Expressly prohibited. Heavy penalties if you get caught. There are some legal ways but they involve missions of mercy and require tons of red tape from what I understand.

lucasbuck said:
Expressly prohibited. Heavy penalties if you get caught. There are some legal ways but they involve missions of mercy and require tons of red tape from what I understand.
[snapback]193661[/snapback]​

Also the whole edication loophole.

Note many Americans visit illegaly every year. GO through Canada or some central american country.

Worth it, given the multitude of legal vacation spots with sand just as white, locations just as quaint, and wildlife just as colorful?

No way, IMHO.

i have never seen any Americans in Cuba. In Canada, we fill out the tourist Visa on the plane. they want to know your destination. Plus none of your credit cards will work there from US banks. Definately fly to Canada and pick up a transfer flight there.

*Passport and visa required. For specific requirements, consult the Cuban Interests Section, 2630 16th St., NW, Washington, DC 20009 (202/797-8518). AIDS test required for those staying longer than 90 days. Attention: U.S. citizens need a U.S. Treasury Department license in order to engage in any transactions related to travel to and within Cuba (this includes the use of U.S. currency). Before planning any travel to Cuba, U.S. citizens should contact the Licensing Division, Office of Foreign Assets Control, U.S. Department of Treasury, (202/622-2480) or www.treas.gov/ofac.

Sunward said:
i have never seen any Americans in Cuba.
I have seen lots.

Just a tidbit of info - Cuba does not stamp your passport when you enter or leave. There is no record of you ever being there.

Like Lumberg said, there are lots of other nicer places in the Caribbean to visit. Especially if you would hope to be able to score some deals on cigars. From what I've read, there are none to be had.

I suppose it would be nice to visit the cigar factories and plantations though.

It would also be nice, and legal, to visit the DR to see places such as Chateau De La Fuente.

Ironworker said:
I hear they have some world class fishing off Cuba's coast.

[snapback]193121[/snapback]​

They do.. thats me on the left, and yes thats Cuba.

Picture015.jpg

I have been to Cuba a bunch of times. Granted it is GTMO... LOL I can vouche for good fishing!

What's the penalty for Americans if they get caught? Somewhere around $7,000 and you can probably wiggle it down to $1,000 if you have a good lawyer.

That's interesting that Cuba doesn't stamp your passport. I've always wondered how Americans get in and out. And the Cuban authorities don't really care either way?

Gonz said:
Whatever happened to Vitasea?
[snapback]193995[/snapback]​
i just returned from cuba two days ago and haven't had time to even log on.
what great stories i've got, but of course no will believe me. then with all my typos ?????????

Hey Iron worker...

Havana looks kind of like Paris with the streets and buildings ,( just a bit more run down and slightly decaying)

As for the Hotels :
The Melia chain of hotels from Spain are 5 star and then you have the Tryp hotels from France which also operate 5 start hotels.Of Corse don't forget hotels run by the Government. Simply put thier a scores of hotels in Havana with different packages and prices.
You can find some really good deals(packages) through Havana tours (Hotel,Pick from airport and drop off,ticket,visa can run say USD$ 385.00) for say a two day visit, much longer periods get even cheaper or you can rent a Casa Particular which is private rooms in a persons house .These can run between USD$25.00 and USD$35.00 a day depending on the area.
The area's which have close proximity to hotels and the action are of course a bit more expensive.
Pretty good fishing in Havana , go down to Marina Hemingway and charter a boat for deep sea trip. I believe when I went about two years ago it was USD$300.00 half day USD$550.00 full day.
We just trowled up and down off the Malecon.This is a famous street that runs along the North coast of Havana from Miramar to the tunnel which goes underneath the sea by Morro Castle.
I actually prefered to go fishing in the outer provinces like Camaguey, Ciego de Avila.(Morom & Punta Alegre) or Cayo Coco, Cayo Batista (those set of keys on the north coast.on a map it is more in the middle section of Cuba)

Cayo Coco Is my favourite spot which is beautifil, peaceful and safe. Only tourists are allowed on these islands and local Cuban employees. They have about 10-12 hotels spread out on the three islands which are connected. Eco-tourist destination also. You can rent a car , a sea plane for a tour,hiking. Scattered small beaches with crystal clear water and powered white sand...and my favourite a semi nude beach were all the European girls go to sun bathe. Back to the fishing...Deep sea, Shore fishing,bone fishing and Scuba diving,snorkeling.

You can get direct flihjts from Canada, Asia, Europe as they have an international airport also with daily flights coming and leaving from all parts of the globe.

Check it out!!