• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone else a fan of grilled pizza?

at the neighbors last year we did a pizza on this smoker and it was awesome. I've done it a few times on my grill and each time I've learned what not to do so thanks very much for the info I now have a traeger smoker (got is Friday) and will be trying this as soon as the weather gets warmer. This is making me very hungry.

This sounds like a great idea. I'm anxious to get my grill going again, so this could be a great first meal.

I'm happy to report my inspired first attempt at grilled pizza was a huge success with the wifey. This is a goat cheese, grilled beet root, fig, and beet green pizza with Gouda and Monterey Jack cheese from a recipe from Fine Cooking magazine I found during my last trip to the library.

gallery_11575_1361_44149.jpg

Nice job! That looks great.... You have just motivated me to go put more gas in my tank. A little cold here in NY, but always a good time for pizza. Think Im going to fire up some White, Clam and scallop pizza this weekend. Pictures sure to follow

That recipe sounds delicious Nihon! Glad you got a chance to give it a try. I'll have to check that recipe out and give it a try once it warms up some here. :)

We tried this for easter, but we used a ceramic pizza stone. Yes, easter pizza...hey it had ham on it (among other things). Our biggest issue was trying to get the dough (and pizza) onto the stone since it was already on the grill. We ended up using a couple baking sheets to slide it onto it, but only after heating in the over for about 5 minutes. I had just bought the dough that day and it was frozen so I defrosted it in hot water. This left it flimsy, but even properly defrosted real dough is flimsy. We are having a second round tonight, but I think this time it will go better with properly defrosted dough. I am also making one for the kids (well letting them make it) using a pre made bobili dough which will be much easier to get on and off the stone.

My other problem is starting the charcoal. I have one of those chimneys and it works well, but by the time the top coals are ready its like the bottom is going out and I always have to do more to keep the grill heat high enough. It is fairly irritating to me. If anyone has a tip on this I would greatly appreciate it!

Glad to hear you gave it a go! It's definitely hard to do with a charcoal grill unless you're really familiar with your grill and keeping a steady temperature in it. i use a chimney to start coals for the smoker quite often. I don't know if there's any right or wrong way to do it really. Just pile up some charcoal in it, stuff the newspaper underneath and light it up and let it works it's magic. I find if the coals aren't lighting evenly, you can give it a little shake to try and redistribute the coals, but just be gentle and try not to break them up. Good luck next time!

Worked out better this time as I dumped the coals in prior to the top section being gray. Then I just put some started and partially started ones on each side of the grill.

Still had to preheat the real dough pizza in the oven...I think part of the issue with that is I need more dough...they don't give you enough I think.

You wouldn't know this was a cigar site reading this thread. Pizza, #1 food on my love list. Gonna have to give the grill a try. Thanks for the great info.

Well, with the weather being so nice out.... and it being Friday and all, thought it was time for some grilled pizza.
This one was Chicken Pesto.
I made the pesto from garlic that I harvested a couple weeks ago, and fresh basil that I picked today. It came out amazing ! For some of you newer guys that may have missed this thread previously - give the grilled pizza a shot... you'll be glad you did.

gallery_13416_1483_13232.jpg

Made the first one a few weeks ago. It came out really good.

We made the dough with our bread maker, we were able to make a thin crust pizza. It was nice and crispy and had great flavor. We used direct heat for the first part of the cooking, then did indirect heat for the finish portion of the cooking.

Headed out tonight in Troy, NY for some dinner with the family. We all agreed on some wood-fired pizza and there is no better place than Bacchus Wood-Fired Pizza located in the "antique" district. The pizza there is amazing, and the options of add-ons is endless (as well as fresh). Crispy pizza served hot that never disappoints. Located in the basement level, it is often over looked, which is exactly how us locals like it. As a matter of fact, there have been a number of times were I visited there with friends from the area, and they had no clue it was there... The bar atmosphere is very casual yet sophisticated and serve an array of beers (including many local brews). Also, I can assure you, you have never seen a pizza oven like the one housed at Bacchus - a true work of art. If you are ever in the area, and are looking for a good pie, I suggest you stop in. Great food and plenty to see after your done with just a walk. I suggest Lucas' Confectionery and Wine Bar a few buildings down for a night cap... Enjoy Troy !

Has anyone else tried wood-fired pizza ? Thoughts compared to that of a regular oven, or grilled ?
I personally love wood fired pizza for the subtle smell/taste of 'wood' within the pizza. Here is a picture of there oven:

62522821.jpg

The weather here in Upstate NY is suppose to be pushing 50 degrees this weekend, which makes preparing pizza outside on the grill a little easier and more enjoyable. :thumbs:  Can't wait for spring to break...

Grilled Pizza sounds interesting... Worth a try once it's warm.

I've never had wood fired pizza either, I think I'll have to shoot up to NY to give that a try one of these days.

This thread is amazing! How I have not found it until now I don't know. I am a huge pizza fan, I can eat it any day and almost any way. I like the concept of grilling and will have to try this!

I can't grill where I currently live but will have to find a way as I just had to clean up a puddle of drool after reading this.

Agreed, Austen. Bacchus makes a great pizza! Been wanting to get to Lucas as well. Love a nice dtink with a cheese and charcuterie plate.

Also, if you haven't been there, Harvest and Hearth off Exit 14 make a great wood fired pie as well if you happen to be up that way at all.

Without a doubt the ultimate thin crust pizza is made with a coal fired oven.  900-1000 degrees is as good as it gets. Wood fired (which is really charcoal because they let it burn down) is the second choice and depending on the wood used can give a nice smokiness to the flavor of the crust.  You can get really close to this with a ceramic cooker like the Big Green Egg.  I get 700 degrees out of mine all the time but it is a bit hard on the lid seal.  Unless the pizza is made badly a wood fired one will beat an electric oven any day.

Made one last night, got the EGG up to 750 degrees and had a pizza in 5 minutes. Mozzarella, Ricotta, green pepper, mushrooms and pepperoni.

A backyard brick oven is on my short list of next projects. You can get so creative with what goes on a pizza