Anyone else using a cpap machine?

Scap

I, unfortunately, breath through my mouth at night due to a largely deviated septum. I need the full nose/mouth mask. It starts out good but when I move unconsciously to sleep on my side which is my favorite position the mask moves and blows air in my eyes then I wake up. Or my arm hits the hose and moves it and again, air in my eyes. Happens at least 5 times a night. Not only do I have the deviated septum but the doc says my uvula and tonsils/adenoids rest below the horizon in the rear of my throat which also makes me snore and stop breathing. Surgery is an option like I mentioned, I'm still debating.
My sinus surgery included fixing my deviated septum, and I think she also got into adnoid region, as well.

I don't regret it and would do it again, in a heartbeat, if needed.

However, I did pick up a rather nasty bacterial infection that could have gotten in my spine/brain due to the close proximity. Kind of like a meningitis infection, if you will.

Had to do some serious antibiotic injections for a week or three. Doc did not want me anywhere near a hospital, so he threw everything he could at it. I finally got past it and healed up just fine.

So, long story short, there is a chance for post op complications, but overall it is worth the hassle.

dav1041

Andy Sipowicz
Very interesting and informative thread. Doc has been trying to get me to do a sleep study for awhile now. I finally agreed to it and insurance would only approve a home study, which actually might not be so bad, I was literally dreading the other. I had been putting off scheduling the home study but after reading all the info here plan on scheduling it on Monday.

I feel like I haven't had a good night's sleep in years, feel tired all day, struggle trying to stay awake if I drive more than 10-15 minutes, and constantly dose off if I'm not actively doing something.