• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone ever had the Monte No. 4 Reserva?

Besides being aged 3 years is there anything different about this from the regular Monte No. 4? Or more specifically, what are the differences between tobacco aged for three years in a warehouse and tobacco aged for 3 years once it's already been rolled (assuming it's stored properly). I thought I read somewhere that perhaps this has a different wrapper than the regular Monte 4, but I may be mistaking this for something else. One thing I know for sure is that these are around 4 times as expensive as the regular Monte 4, so they'd better be damn good! :laugh:

Well, I believe most of the reserva/EL/RE's have a degree of hype surrounding them and are used possibly more or less as a marketing tool...I have a small collection of several RE's but have yet to try a single one, so in essence I don't have the experience neccessary to form an opinion as of yet. Maybe someone with more Limitada experience could chime in on this issue...

Besides being aged 3 years is there anything different about this from the regular Monte No. 4? Or more specifically, what are the differences between

Gonz, one thing that is different (besides the second band)is the nice box it comes in!small joke

I don't know anything about the reserve but the Monte 4 I smoked yesterday was fine.

Besides being aged 3 years is there anything different about this from the regular Monte No. 4? Or more specifically, what are the differences between tobacco aged for three years in a warehouse and tobacco aged for 3 years once it's already been rolled (assuming it's stored properly). I thought I read somewhere that perhaps this has a different wrapper than the regular Monte 4, but I may be mistaking this for something else. One thing I know for sure is that these are around 4 times as expensive as the regular Monte 4, so they'd better be damn good! :laugh:

although i wont argue value, i will vouch for the fact that the monte #4 reserva is a better cigar. i love the 07 monte#4, but i have to say the reserva is richer and has more breadth. it smokes like a full on el.

i dont have any left in the shop, otherwise i'd send one for another botl to venture an opinion.

It's just aged longer. It is not a different blend, as I understand it.

this is from the box insert:

Reserva Cosecha 2002: Montecristo No. 4

Habanos SA's 2007 Reserva release pays homage to the Montecristo No.4, one of the most emblematic vitola of Habanos throughout the world. All the tobacco leaves used as wrappers, binders, and fillers for this Reserva are fom the 2002 crop and have been specially aged in bales for a minimum of 3 years. The Montecristo No. 4 reserva is conceived for the most discerning smokers and consists of only 5,000 numbered boxes each containing 20 Habanos.

fwiw- i dont think this suggests that it is the exact same blend.

there are still some of these floating around at a good price.

cheers
drew p

this is from the box insert:

Reserva Cosecha 2002: Montecristo No. 4

Habanos SA's 2007 Reserva release pays homage to the Montecristo No.4, one of the most emblematic vitola of Habanos throughout the world. All the tobacco leaves used as wrappers, binders, and fillers for this Reserva are fom the 2002 crop and have been specially aged in bales for a minimum of 3 years. The Montecristo No. 4 reserva is conceived for the most discerning smokers and consists of only 5,000 numbered boxes each containing 20 Habanos.

fwiw- i dont think this suggests that it is the exact same blend.

there are still some of these floating around at a good price.

cheers
drew p

I read that as well.
Most often when a blend is truly 'different' it is stated as such.
In this case, they are pushing the 'aged' factor.
In speaking to another vendor, they also believe it is the same blend.

It would be interesting to see if you could get a definative email or such from HSA.

I’m not big on EL cuz I don't like to pay for them and most I’ve sample were just OK or they suck.

The first reserva I sampled was in March and let me tell you that was some good sh!t. Don’t ask me how it taste I wont be able to tell you. But from what I can remember it was rich and smooth, it does have the Monte flavor but not much of the bean flavor that the #2 is known for.

Overall a wonderful reserva that’s great now and will be epic in 5 or 10yrs.

At the Montecristo Board of Directors meeting:

[Mike, CEO] : John, we see here that you've found the 5,000 boxes of #4's you lost in '04. This is good news.
[John, Logistics] : Yes, Mike. It seems they were pushed behind a couple pallets of Xanadus. We uncovered them after J&R's most recent order.
[Mike] : Time to make a purse from a pig's ear. Any suggestions?
[Dick, Marketing] : We could dip them in bourbon and sell them as flavoreds.
[Mike] : Dick, maybe that's how you did things at Drew Estate. This is Montecristo.
[Eric, sales] : Let's double the price and call them Reserva. I can finance my next trip to Europe on the commissions.
[Mike] : Sounds good. Next on the agenda...

I do not know about the monte, but I had the partagas D4 2000 and it was phenomenallly complex compared to the regular. In the same breath, I am sure it is still a bit of a marketing scam.

a cynic is someone who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing. - O. Wilde

The Monte Reserva, in my opinion, tastes unlike any Monte #4 I've had from 2002. It's my opinion that the blend is different.

It is quite good for such a young cigar. This will be one of those cigars that people will kick themselves for not picking up more.