• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone got any ideas?

jje5090

Ok guys I'm a college student and I need some ideas on things to cook. I'm a pretty good cook. I would like some ideas that are cheap ideas and not too hard to make. Remember 2 things about college, it makes you poor, and you don't have much free time.

I work a lot with chicken breast and pork chops. These 2 pieces of meat are cheap and tasty. So if anyone has any ideas what I can do with these that would be cool of you guys to share.

There's really a whole heck of a lot you can do with that chicken. Honestly, just pan frying it with some salt, pepper, and garlic in some oil is awesome. You can even take those leftovers and throw it in a sandwich. Take that same meat, cut it up and throw it in a salad. Shred it and make chicken salad. Simmer it in mushroom sauce with onions, mushrooms and serve it along side steamed rice or noodles. Marinate the meat in citrus juice (lemon and orange), salt, pepper, and garlic and throw it on the grill. Lots of stuff you can do.

Learn how to make hearty soups You can portion them off and freeze, etc.
Pasta e' Fagioli with some Italian sausage
Lentil Soup with Italian Sausage
Chicken Broth with Rice, Spinach, and Reggiano.

Pasta Dishes:
Broccoli (or Cauliflower, or Broccoli Rape') sauted in Olive Oil w/ Garlic, red pepper, and some sort of tubed pasta or even spaghetti or angel hair , in a pinch.
Same as above, but leave the veggies out.
Noodles or pasta tossed in butter, eggs scrambled in last minute, topped with Reggiano...
Look up: Pasta or Bucatini Amatriciana. Delicious and easy.

salt and pepper to taste on all mentioned.

Learn to brine your Chicken.

Coat Cutlets in "4C" brand Italian Bread Crumbs. You know the drill, egg wash, flour, Bread crumbs. Then Cook slowly in Pure Olive Oil (less expensive and higher smoke point) Then you can make Chick Parma.

Stuffed pork chops on the cheap are damn good. Get some thick chops, sear them, butterfly them and fill with StoveTop Stuffing, put 'em in a baking dish and cover with Mushroom soup from a can, salt pepper and whatever you like to taste....pretty tasty.

You can do basically the same thing with chicken breasts....also good.

I like taking fancy boneless chops (the thin ones) and soaking them in Worcestershire sauce overnight. Throw them on the grill for a few minutes on each side, seasoning them with seasoned salt and black pepper. During grilling time, I usually do this 2 times a week or so.

Chicken breast marinated in Catalina dressing and orange juice is good in the grill, though it's a different kind of combination.

BBS, how long do you bake the stuffed chops? That sounds good!!

The wife puts the extra stuffing in the dish, covers it with the soup, and cooks at about 350 until the tops of the dressing are nicely browned. Had that with chicken breasts this weekend....darn good quick meal..!!

Thanks guys a lot of these sound really good and I will have to try them. b.dawgson that chicken sounds really good. I have put the chicken in salad. I also have breaded it and made it with BBQ sauce. I have taken the pork and pan fried that with lemon pepper then took some beef cubes and made it like that which is very good. I should also add that although I like most things mushrooms is one of the ones I don't like

BBS reminded me of some things my mom did with pork chops.

I. Same thing with the Mushroom soup, only she added soy sauce and worchestershire sauce. Served over Rice.
2. Seared them, the sloooow cooked in Sour Cream and Sauerkraut.

If you have a crockpot(or can borrow one), buy some cheap pork shoulder. Slow cook it until you can pull the bone out(if it has one), then shred it for sandwiches, tacos, etc. Feeds a bunch or you can freeze it in parcels and mix it into whatever you can think up.

MM maybe I will try that without the Mushroom soup. I will combine both the ideas and make it my own.

Joe that sounds good and yes I do have a crockpot. This I might also have to try. Yet again thanks.

I've always liked those Ramen noodles that once upon a time you could pick up 10 for a dollar. I always use more water than it calls for and add the flavor packet right from the start. That way the noodles soak up the flavor. I usually add a few additional ingredients like some veggies and an egg since they aren't much of a meal by themselves. You can be pretty creative with additional ingredients. I've tried doing an egg drop soup a few times but never liked the results. So if I add an egg or two here is the way I do it.

Once the noodles are soft stir them up so that they are well mixed and tangled. Crack one egg right in the center of the noodles or two eggs slightly separated in the middle. Try not to let them touch the side of the pan. I find it works best if I can get them to lay on or near the top of the noodles. Cover, simmer for about 6 minutes and enjoy. :)

Cover the bottom of a heavy sauté pan with EVO. Sauté 2 or 3 cloves of garlic. Remove when brown. Don't burn. Brown a couple of pork chops then add a can or two of San Marinzanno tomatoes, crushed by hand. Simmer about an hour. Serve on the pasta of your choice with red pepper flakes and parm cheese.

Doc.

Try chicken thighs. Cheaper than breasts and often juicier.

Cover the bottom of a heavy sauté pan with EVO. Sauté 2 or 3 cloves of garlic. Remove when brown. Don't burn. Brown a couple of pork chops then add a can or two of San Marinzanno tomatoes, crushed by hand. Simmer about an hour. Serve on the pasta of your choice with red pepper flakes and parm cheese.

Doc.
You can do the exact same thing with boneless, skinless chicken thighs... :thumbs:

Both are great leftover too.

For pork, I really like soaking them in soy and chili sauce (or siracha) then grilling them. Also, find that fine line between safe and overcooked.

Doc.

Doc you reminded me of something that made me laugh. Ever have someone say they love a dish and beg you to teach them how to make it? Then when you remove the Garlic (or whatever), they become very agitated. It progresses to a debate, etc. They said they loved it, begged to be taught; why did they ask if they challenge things you do? Always makes me scratch my head.

The wife puts the extra stuffing in the dish, covers it with the soup, and cooks at about 350 until the tops of the dressing are nicely browned. Had that with chicken breasts this weekend....darn good quick meal..!!

I just finished a meal of this made with chicken. One of the best chicken dishes I have ever had! The wife even went back for seconds.

Thanks for the idea BBS, it was great! :thumbs:

Ok so yesterday I made myself pork chops. I put them in a pan and covered with season salt. I then added balsamic vinegar and some onions. I covered it and put it on medium. I would flip and add more season salt. It came out a lot better then I had thought. Figured I would share this for anyone that wants to try it.

Stuffed pork chops on the cheap are damn good. Get some thick chops, sear them, butterfly them and fill with StoveTop Stuffing, put 'em in a baking dish and cover with Mushroom soup from a can, salt pepper and whatever you like to taste....pretty tasty.

You can do basically the same thing with chicken breasts....also good.

My Mom taught me to make a dish exactly like that before I left for college.

Chili was also one of my college staples. 1 lb of ground beef, a can of beans, can of tomatoes, and a chili starter. From there you can just use your imagination and add whatever you'd like.

I also used to make stew with a chuck roast (like a blade roast, 7 bone, etc). Brown it on both sides, then add water and beef bullion (hey, it was college!). After it cooked for a while I'd add a bag of frozen veggies, potatoes and macaroni.

If you have a crockpot(or can borrow one), buy some cheap pork shoulder. Slow cook it until you can pull the bone out(if it has one), then shred it for sandwiches, tacos, etc. Feeds a bunch or you can freeze it in parcels and mix it into whatever you can think up.

I was going to mention this. Cheaper cuts of meat often have a much deeper flavor profile, you just have to cook them slower.

Pork steak, if you want cheap and tasty, get pork steak. Fry them in a skillet with salt and pepper then add BBQ sause of your choice just before they are done or bread them and fry them, tastier than pork chops and cheaper.

Kentucky Kernel Seasoned Flour FTW!, if it is available in your location.