• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone have a cigar crack due to construction and not environment?

rectifythis

CP; may cause dependency
Ok to answer all your questions before you ask, I use the 65 beads and is always around there, humi is almost full, temp is high 60's, outside temp was about 50 when I lit up (only out of the humi 5 minutes). Though my cigars do seem slightly drier than usual, I am thinking it as construction and not environment. Last night a had a Brazilia Gol! and it was fine...like I said, a bit drier than usual but still fine. Punched it and proceeded to smoke forever. Now then, as the story goes, I wanted to smoke the Italia Ciao tonight for comparison so I wouldn't forget what the Brazilia was like. No sooner than I sink the bullet int the cap, the whole cap splits open. It did affect smoking somewhat but I smoked 2/3 of it anyway. The wrapper also split at the foot as I smoked...crack stayed about 1/2 inch ahead of the ember. I peeled it apart after I quit to find tree stump size veins all ending near the cap (maybe 8 or 10 of them). Anyone think it could be the build of the cigar? Tasted great anyway, I loved both the Brazilia and the Italia.

This sounds like Brazilian propaganda to knock down the Italians. We won the World Cup! :D

I have had the caps split before when using a punch cutter, I think it had gone dull. When I first got my Xicar I also would sometimes screw up the caps untill I had some practice with it. When I use a puch cutter I now roll the cigar around in my mouth just a little to moisten the cap, this seems to have corrected the problems I was having with my puch cutter (it may or may not be dull but it cuts fine this way).

About 2 weeks ago I stepped outside cigar in hand, I turned around to lock the front door and pop my wrapper split cap to foot. Very frusterating, hadn't even lit it. The humidity was just too low and the change was too sudden. Now the remains are sitting in my humidor until I try to repair/replace the wrapper.

"dry air in the environment you have you humi in?"

Since the humidor is a sealed environment with a different relative humidity than that of the ambient air surrounding it, what difference would this make?

If it does make a difference, just what is the humidor doing?

Certainly the humidity in my house ranges from around 38% to somewhere over 50%. My big cabinet, with a digital hygrometer visible through the glass doors stays pegged at 68% day in, day out, week in, week out. (No it's not a stuck hygrometer, I always bring them down to ambient humidity before shifting to a different box)