• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone have a Zune?

defetis

Token
I picked one up today, just wondering how it stacks up to the Ipod. I've been a PC guy all my life, so for the same price I had to get the Zune. Whats everyone think about theirs?

I picked one up today, just wondering how it stacks up to the Ipod. I've been a PC guy all my life, so for the same price I had to get the Zune. Whats everyone think about theirs?

Widely considered (even by PC people from what I have read) to be inferior to the iPod. Out of curiosity, why did you get that vs. an iPod? Just because you are are "a PC guy"?

Personally I think it is ugly. I've had an iPod for several years now and have never had any problems with it. From what I hear and have read the Zune has quite a few problems, nothing major but annoying little things.

Found this article that covers alot of the problems and features of the Zune. I skimmed through it and it seemed like a pretty good review.

Linky

I'm an iPod guy. I've heard the Zune kinda sucks.

with all the DRM crap microshaft put into the zune, no thanks...i am a creative labs guy, have the zen vision m (video and music player) 30gb model, even apple forces you to use itunes to load your music, and they have tons of DRM stuff built into itunes...with creative, drag and drop as though the player is a hard drive, and it has 15hr battery life. microshaft can't build a proper o/s yet, let alone music players. all IMHO.
Rob

iPod here. The only issue I have had with mine is charging the battery. It wouldn't take a charge, so I reloaded default software, and all was good again.

I chose the zune because of the capability to trade music with other zune players. Also, like stated above you don't have to use any certain program to upload music, they offer one, but is not required. I have not had any issues yet, because I just got it, but thanks guys for the links. Interesting things to watch out for. But I'm still happy I did not go with Ipod. I was also able to wirelessly sync my zune with my computer, which is nice because it eliminates wires and I can always be charging it within decent range of my lap top. Just my two cents, but thank you for everyones opinion.

I chose the zune because of the capability to trade music with other zune players. Also, like stated above you don't have to use any certain program to upload music, they offer one, but is not required. I have not had any issues yet, because I just got it, but thanks guys for the links. Interesting things to watch out for. But I'm still happy I did not go with Ipod. I was also able to wirelessly sync my zune with my computer, which is nice because it eliminates wires and I can always be charging it within decent range of my lap top. Just my two cents, but thank you for everyones opinion.

I've evaluated the Zune -- Microsoft did not get it right with this iteration at all, IMHO. The wireless synching is nice... in theory, but in reality, it is very slow compared to a USB 2.0 or FireWire connection (as the iPod has).

The DRM nonsense Microsoft is foisting on people with the Zune is pretty horrible compared to the iPod. In all, I do not expect the current incarnation to make any dent at all in the market.

I've evaluated the Zune -- Microsoft did not get it right with this iteration at all, IMHO. The wireless synching is nice... in theory, but in reality, it is very slow compared to a USB 2.0 or FireWire connection (as the iPod has).

The DRM nonsense Microsoft is foisting on people with the Zune is pretty horrible compared to the iPod. In all, I do not expect the current incarnation to make any dent at all in the market.

The zune has the USB 2.0 cable, it comes with that. I just have a beam sensor on my lap top the sync's with the zune, they both worked at about the same pace, I saw it as a convience in choice.

I'm never giving Gill Bates another nickel for his garbage anymore. All Microsoft dones is try to play catchup to the real innovators. (Chasing their taillights). Been that way since DOS 1.0.

I'm never giving Gill Bates another nickel for his garbage anymore. All Microsoft dones is try to play catchup to the real innovators. (Chasing their taillights). Been that way since DOS 1.0.

It wouldn't be the first time Gates whupped Jobs' arse with a grossly inferior product.

This off the topic, but could you slow down your avatar.
She is moving a little too fast.

with all the DRM crap microshaft put into the zune, no thanks...i am a creative labs guy, have the zen vision m (video and music player) 30gb model, even apple forces you to use itunes to load your music, and they have tons of DRM stuff built into itunes...with creative, drag and drop as though the player is a hard drive, and it has 15hr battery life. microshaft can't build a proper o/s yet, let alone music players. all IMHO.
Rob

Not true anymore. I don't even have iTunes installed on my laptop and I'm happily transferring music back and forth on my iPod using Winamp.

Rob

Not true anymore. I don't even have iTunes installed on my laptop and I'm happily transferring music back and forth on my iPod using Winamp.
I stand corrected Mike, thanks for the info.

Moki is right on here. In my eyes the Zune is going to lose because it lacks the "whole package". Sure the battery life isn't bad, sure its has a really nice screen and it can beam and wifi share. The problem is the DRM is just too much a headache. Not to mention there isn't a program that can come close to standing up against iTunes to support the device. With Apple products they just pretty much work without much thinking. iTunes is now more simple than it was and it has features that go above and beyond that of just an iPod/Mp3 player sync. Also starting soon the iTunes music store will start to offer DRM free music. It comes at a higher price point, but in the end Apple is going in the direction the people want. We may have to pay a bit more, but they don't have to be told how to listen to they're own music.

I'm still use PCs too, so this isn't just a Cultist towing the line.

Photo_050907_001.jpg

About half way done :( god I need a good cigar tonight, this brings back the nightmares of picking out the blue ones

Rob

Just a quick correction/clarification here... the ONLY place where iTunes involves any DRM at all is for songs you purchase from their store. You can use iTunes to transfer/rip your own music all day and all night, and no DRM is involved. Period.

This is not the case with the Zune, unfortunately, which adds DRM to everything you do, even your own music.

Rob

Just a quick correction/clarification here... the ONLY place where iTunes involves any DRM at all is for songs you purchase from their store. You can use iTunes to transfer/rip your own music all day and all night, and no DRM is involved. Period.

This is not the case with the Zune, unfortunately, which adds DRM to everything you do, even your own music.
gotcha Moki, thanks for the correction. Good to see the DRM stuff will eventually go on itunes anyhow, microshaft needs to get their heads out of the sand and stop shoving DRM down everyones throat, it is clear this is NOT what the general public wants.