• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone have any homemade motorcycle humidor ideas?

Matt Rushmore

I am going on a 10 day motorcycle/camping trip in August to Oregon and California so I am picturing the weather being very hot and dry. Obviously on a trip that long on a bike space for gear is prime real estate. I am taking probably 20 sticks with me of varying sizes (read Toros to short stories, etc.). I have looked into travel humidors and for the amount they hold their size is just plain too big and I'd like something much cheaper anyway.

I ruled out using a bag because the gars need to be protected. I thought of maybe a spaghetti sauce or similar jar with a Boveda pack in it or something but jars that I have found are just not quite tall enough for Toros. If I use Tupperware I don't know if it will mess with the flavor or not.

I am curious if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!

Reading the title, I thought someone was embarking on building a humidor out of a motorcycle...or worse, this was an episode of OCC.

LOL. Sorry. Yeah after rereading it you do have a point, I just wasn't thinking I guess. My bad. I cant find where it will let me change it so if any mods want to change the word 'motorcycle' to 'small' feel free, and if OCC ends up making one out of a motorcycle because this gave them the idea, I hope they send me one to my address on file. ;)

Why not use one of those round storage containers found at Bed, Bath, and Beyond? They have airtight lids and come in a hardy plastic. You have a choice of tall and round or rectangular?
Just use some bubble wrap to take up any space so they don't rattle around.

It's 10 days. Ziptop bag with a water pillow inside your backpack or luggage.

ETA
Bring only sticks that come in cello

Why not use one of those round storage containers found at Bed, Bath, and Beyond? They have airtight lids and come in a hardy plastic. You have a choice of tall and round or rectangular?
Just use some bubble wrap to take up any space so they don't rattle around.
I second this works very well add a few pillow packs. This is my camping/fishing humidor
this + this

4cbln and 5by50, I'll check them out. Never been to a Bath and Beyond but they have a store in the mall by me.
beyond the band, I dont want them to break or get crunched or anything so I really want a container.
Not a nice person, what's clean underwear? I live to ride, not to clean.
Grateful1, air cooled. '06 Victory Vegas. I take at least one week a year, every year, and go either South or East.

I gotta find pillow packs. (*EDIT: I am assuming you meant the water water pillow humidifiers) I got one in a recent order from Ted's cigars online but haven't seen them locally and I don't know if that one will last until three weeks from now. I have seen the Boveda packs locally though.

Thanks for the ideas. Don't be shy if you have more. ;)

I think the cheapest and easiest way to do it is 5 finger baggies, humidity pillows, layered in your clothing. Saves space, they won't rattle around, you'll be good to go!

[font=Arial"]I had the same dilemma as you do. I finally went with a Perdomo 15 cigar travel humidor (under $30) and a 5 cigar travel humidor which I had. I try to place the next 5 sticks I want to smoke in the 5 so that the 15 stays closed for the most part. Pack the 5 so it is easy to get, and the 15 stays out of the way. I have had the best luck with the Boveda Humidipack due to its size related to the travel humidor. Make sure you have enough flame with you to light those sticks. I ran out of fuel in the torch lighter and had to stop into a B&M where they were kind enough to fill mine. [/font]

[font=Arial"]By the way, I also ride Vic’s, you wouldn’t be heading to Hot Springs for the national meet would you? [/font]

Hey Boar you ever wear that Mandanna?

Heh . . . I displayed it on my fridge for ages, and used it in a teaching skit at a faculty inservice. But my head is just freakishly huge---I wear a 7 3/4 size hat, which means I don't wear hats much---and it just barely goes all the way around. I still think it's cool, but, as with shirts and shoes, I'm kinda like "I wonder if this comes in grown up sizes." :sign:

~Boar

I think the cheapest and easiest way to do it is 5 finger baggies, humidity pillows, layered in your clothing. Saves space, they won't rattle around, you'll be good to go!
I think that's the route I'm going to go after much deliberation. ;) Thanks!.

I think he will smoke all of his cigars before there are any problems with temperature!

4cbln and 5by50, I'll check them out. Never been to a Bath and Beyond but they have a store in the mall by me.
beyond the band, I dont want them to break or get crunched or anything so I really want a container.
Not a nice person, what's clean underwear? I live to ride, not to clean.
Grateful1, air cooled. '06 Victory Vegas. I take at least one week a year, every year, and go either South or East.

I gotta find pillow packs. (*EDIT: I am assuming you meant the water water pillow humidifiers) I got one in a recent order from Ted's cigars online but haven't seen them locally and I don't know if that one will last until three weeks from now. I have seen the Boveda packs locally though.

Thanks for the ideas. Don't be shy if you have more. ;)

You could also plan the trip around a couple stops at B&M's!

:thumbs:

Safe journey!

10 days? As suggested above, stick them in a couple of baggies. Don't worry about temp, don't worry about humidity.

You folks suggesting round storage containers plainly never packed on a motorcycle.

I just returned from a 4 day cycle vacation (or rather vacation that I cycled to). I packed a 10 count herfador and both 4 count & 3 count pocket cases. Searched for cigars/tobacco in my destination on the 'net - results came back listing 1 liquor store.

10 days? As suggested above, stick them in a couple of baggies. Don't worry about temp, don't worry about humidity.

You folks suggesting round storage containers plainly never packed on a motorcycle.

I just returned from a 4 day cycle vacation (or rather vacation that I cycled to). I packed a 10 count herfador and both 4 count & 3 count pocket cases. Searched for cigars/tobacco in my destination on the 'net - results came back listing 1 liquor store.

Why did you bring a herfador on your trip when you're suggesting to the OP not to worry about heat/humidity?