• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone in the home appliance business?

Strayvector

Like what you smoke, smoke what you like
Reaction score
Looks like my home has decided to fall apart this week. On Monday the HVAC control unit crapped out, yesterday the oven died and today the dishwasher went bye-bye. I replaced the controller on Monday (I'm in AZ), but it looks like I need to replace both the oven (>$500 to repair) and the dishwasher (old and crappy). Anyone have recommendations or have an opinion as to the most reliable manufacturer, or subscribe to Consumer's Report? Both dead appliances are about 4 years old and made by Maytag, so I think I'll stay away from them with this next purchase.

Sorry for your loss. I've had exceptional luck with Maytag. The old dishwasher was one and that was in the house for 20 years before I replaced it. I went with an all stainless KitchenAid (which is made by Maytag). Had that for almost 5 years now. For the oven I went with a GE Profile unit with convection. No matter what brand you get make sure it has convection cooking.

We just did a kitchen remodel, and after looking at fancy, expensive, high zoot ovens we bought a Kenmore from Sears and are very happy with it. Give them a very close look....as I said, we're very happy with it.

Good luck - B.B.S.

I swear by Sears and Kenmore.

All appliances in the house are Kenmore, and they all work great.

Kenmore doesn't make anything though, they sub it out to other companies like Maytag, GE, Amana et al.

We're unhappy with our Maytag clothes washer. Third repair is coming up.
We have a GE dishwasher that's OK but not as good as our last one,
a Kitchenaid (I know...Maytag).
Sears Kenmore does have a good rep.

Does Kenmore give better warranty than OEM? Is it a pipe dream to think they might have similar warranty with appliances as they do with their Craftsman tools? :)

I was in the business for 6yrs.
I headed up the appliance Dept.
All brands have their problems, what's important is how they back up their problems.
I delt with all the Vendors and without a doubt Maytag is the best.

The labor warranty is the same on all Appliances, but parts warranty on maytag was pretty much double, example, instead of five yrs on compressors it was ten.

Maytag dishwashers are made in my hometown, there is no comparison when it comes to dishwashers, I can get into a 30min sales pitch, but I won't.

Now when it comes to the fridge, I had better luck with whirlpool, better insulated.

Ovens, my suggestion if it's not gas, is to go smoothtop, I know from experience it is the greatest thing in the world, your stove always looks clean, no moisture contact with elements means longer life.

I own a GE smoothtop, just because I got a deal.

Buy a self-cleaning, not just so it will clean itself, but in order to clean itself it gets up to like 600 degrees or more, so it has to be better insulated. This means alot, it won't heat the kitchen up as bad, it won't warp laminated cabinets and it's more energy efficient.

Sorry for Rambling on.

kenmore, like avb said, the stuff is made by the big brands, typically more features for about the same money as brand name, sometimes less $. sears sticks by the stuff,have a fleet of servie people. i have had very,very good luck with all my kenmore appliances, i remodeled my kitchen last year when i bought my house.typically, the dishwashers are GE, the washing machines are Whirlpool, the refrigerators are combo's of GE,Whirlpool,Samsung and Maytag. i too sold appliances and being a kitchen designer for the past 14yrs, i have dealt with all this stuff numerous times.
comsumer reports is also a good resource for appliance ratings.
good luck, and take care...
Rob

i don't get it. when i went to college, i had a summer job making freezers, fridges etc.. The only difference from a manufacturing point is very little. GE had a bit higher specs i recall, but all have the same components.

With your luck thus far, go with an extended warranty.

Good luck :)

Sorry for your loss. I've had exceptional luck with Maytag. The old dishwasher was one and that was in the house for 20 years before I replaced it. I went with an all stainless KitchenAid (which is made by Maytag). Had that for almost 5 years now. For the oven I went with a GE Profile unit with convection. No matter what brand you get make sure it has convection cooking.

KitchenAid is NOT "made" by Maytag. Whirlpool owns both KitchenAid and Maytag. Whirlpool bought KitchenAid a while back but only very recently bought Maytag.

I'm not a fan of Maytag appliances. I highly recommend Whirlpool and KitchenAid. I think Whirlpool makes the best washing machine and dryers in the world, they last for years and seldom need repairs. I don't like any major appliances manufactured by GE.

The diswasher I recommend is Bosch. You're gonna spend a coupla extra bucks, but it is by far one of the most solid dishwashers you'll ever get your hands on for the money. And it's stainless through and through...

I bought the GE convection oven - as everyone is saying, go convection... I just love mine...

Thanks for all the input, gentlemen. I currently have the smoothtop range and convection oven from Maytag and can't live without the convection option. Looks like I have a busy weekend of shopping ahead.