• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone into hydroponics?

okiesmoke

I went to Disney World last week and while I was there I took a tour of The Land's greenhouses. They're doing a bunch of different hydroponics there with flowers and vegetables. I'm interested in trying a few different systems for this spring/summer. Both indoors and out.

Does anyone else dabble in this? Are there any good online or book sources that will help a beginner?

I'd hate to be the mature one of the group but I'm talking about legal hydroponics!!! You know, tomatos, peppers, herbs...ok that last one is questionable!!!

I grew some tomatoes with hydroponics as an experiment one year. They tasted fine. It was a little more work than growing them out in the garden (not more physically demanding) but I think that was just because it was new to me. I would suspect after getting past the learning curve it would be pretty easy.

I gave it up after that one year, though. The results weren't any better than our traditional tomatoes. I guess we could have had fresh tomatoes year-round, but we enjoy the seasonal aspect of gardening as a hobby. If I were depending on my garden to feed the family, I may look at it differently.

LilBastage is right. It is more work then growing outside, a lot more! Plus start up cost can be expensive. If done correctly. A good set of blubs alone can set you back a couple hundred dollars and they don't last forever.