• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone know anything about the value of stamps

bully1875

I have inherited a stamp collection from my great grandfather about 10 years ago. He passed in 1992 and he was in his late 90's. He was a moderate stamp collector so he says, but given these tough times I have recently dug it up and I have my eye on getting it appraised. Anyone here know anything about stamps?? From what I know anything 1930's and beyond are not very collectable, but I have a few stamps here from the 1800's !!

There is an old expression in numismatics, "buy the book before the coin". Stamps are the same way.

Do some reading, and try to see if there are any coin and stamp shows coming to your area. Shows are where you can really see what is

going on.

Learn a bit about grading. Go to the auction sites, like Greg Manning, and see what the graded stamps that might be comparable to yours,

are selling for. I will tell you, in no uncertain terms, that most dealers will rape you if they have a chance. I worked the bourse from both sides

of the table for years. Very few dealers are happy to make just a decent profit, always looking for a homerun profit.

A lot of collectors fail to get enough for their good stuff, and try to get too much for their run of the mill stuff.

Get educated fast. It's not hard, and it will pay dividends.

all i know about stamps is that it better be worth 42 cents or your letter aint going anywhere.