• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone try JR alternates?

snapperhead

Banned
I was looking to get some if they are decent quality for the people that come over and do not appreciate a good stogie. Looking for any info on them and which would be a good buy.

They are ok. I think there are better cigars for the money.

It varies from Alt to Alt. I have had some Alts that were among the worst cigars I have ever tasted. Conversely, the Alt to the Fuente Reserva #3 is a staple in my rotation. They are, to MY taste buds, great cigars. I frickin love em. Your mileage may vary!

You can't lump the Alts together since there are so many variations. It's trial and error unfortunately. I was lucky in that I stumbled on to one that I really like because some of them are absolutely horrible.

Never tried the Alternates, but have tried the Ulitimates, they were okay, decent construction, kind of tight on draw. Not bad for price, but not as good as advertised.

A friend of mine gave me two Ashton Churchill Jr Alternates. It was a decent smoke (esp for the price-maybe $25-$30 a bundle) but I've never had an Ashton Churchill so I can't tell you how it compares.

TampaSupremo

Edited to add:
My buddy did tell me he thought they were as good as Ashtons. I'll let you make that call.

A friend of mine gave me two Ashton Churchill Jr Alternates. It was a decent smoke (esp for the price-maybe $25-$30 a bundle) but I've never had an Ashton Churchill so I can't tell you how it compares.

TampaSupremo

Edited to add:
My buddy did tell me he thought they were as good as Ashtons. I'll let you make that call.

You bring up an important point conecrning these. They aren't designed to be copies of the namesake smoke. For example, the Alt to a Cohiba Robusto is not supposed to be a $1.25 copy of the original. It shares the same size and is blended to attempt to share the general characteristics of the cigar. In the Cohiba's case, a full bodied robusto. You can't make a copy of a Cuban cigar using Nic. tobacco but you can roll a full bodied robusto that shares the general characteristics.

Again, everyone's mileage may vary but do not look to the Alts to be cheap carbon copies of the namesake smokes. That's unrealistic. In my experience the Cuban Alts are the worst of the family. I stay away from them as a rule.

Snapperhead, as mentioned in my first post, try the Alt to Fuente Reserva #3. You have my guarante that if you hate them, I'll buy them from you.

Haven't smoked an Alt in a long time, but my recollection is that they're ok for the money you pay.

I'd lean more toward Connies if I were buying on the cheap...

I was just thinking that I do not want to give someone that will not appreciate a good stogie one of my prized possessions. I know that they are not going to be copies but they should have around the same qualities.....I just hate giving one of my Cohibas to someone that does not know what they taste like and then they throw it out. I have had a couple friends over that said they like smoking cigars so I gave them some good sticks and they smoked 1/4 of the stick and threw it out......I want to find something I do not care if they do that. Hate to sound like that but I good stogie is a good thing...give the cheap sticks to novice smokers.

I've tried them twice in 17 or 18 years. Once the Cuban Montecristo Alternative, another time, the more recent "Edition Limitada" Cuban monty. I havent bought the first again. It didnt suck.
the Limitada really wasnt to bad for about a buckor so a stick. The wrapper had decent flavor, and the batch I recvd performed well. If I was hurting for cash, I'd probably give them another shot.

Haven't smoked an Alt in a long time, but my recollection is that they're ok for the money you pay.

I'd lean more toward Connies if I were buying on the cheap...

Agreed...

Check out the summer issue of Cigar Magazine.