• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone work on late '90's Jeep Cherokee's?

Bu11dog

Bought my son (who is 15) one for us to work out all the kinks on while he continues to learn to drive.

Needed a new radiator, done, sort of...
Wouldn't start to test radiator, battery charged back up, still nothing, starter was coated with layers of oil and much, replaced starter along with the leak that was above it.
Now battery is showing 12volts at terminals and so is starter but still no action. It doesn't even make a noise, nothing???
Thoughts?

Yes I'll snap some pics once it's out of the freakin' garage where my Lexus is supposed to be.

Does anything on the car power like the lights? If not then make sure all the connections are good.

- Yes the lights and everything work.
- I found the positive side of the battery terminal loose, tightened it and still nothing. The battery is grounded out to the frame right by the battery.
- On my voltmeter it showed 12.6-7 ish volts, I pulled my vehicle to it and hooked up cables, let it charge for about 10 minutes and then tried starting with cables attached. Still nothing, can't even hear the starter trying to go but it show the exact same voltage at it's terminals as the battery.

Thank you all three of you for the questions though! I think I'm going to take the starter off and try cranking it off the vehicle next?

That ground strap to the frame can be a pain. A lot of manufacturers used to paint the frame mounting area. It has to be really tight and sometimes you have to burnish the surface (remove the paint and add a conductive primer/coating). I used to always check it, regardless, if I got "nothing" when turning the key. Same thing on electrical aircraft mods I've been on. The one thing that was a very common when the mod didn't turn on was a bad ground as described. I'd check the tightness/cleanliness/corrosion. Not saying it has to be that, but rather for the minutes it typically takes, it's good diagnostic practice to eliminate it.

ETA: Can you get a friend to view the starter as you turn the key? See if it emits sparks.

Good idea with that, I will pull that off and grind it just to make sure. I will have to look at the connections on the starter to and make sure it's grounding out right.
Again thanks!

I can't tell, pretty sure it's out of its prime operating time. Just trying to get it running so I can finish the radiator and put everything back together. I will get a battery, just want to get it back together from the first batch of repairs.

Ditto that I've owned 6 of them and would buy one again if I could find one in decent shape.
This really is a great Jeep, I should have bought one a long time ago! Hardly any rust, already a 4" lift and BFG mud terrains.

My son has a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with a 3" lift. He had a problem with it cutting off while driving. We had the computer changed and it ended up being a sensor. I know that's not the same problem you're having, but it may be worth looking into.

My son has a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with a 3" lift. He had a problem with it cutting off while driving. We had the computer changed and it ended up being a sensor. I know that's not the same problem you're having, but it may be worth looking into.
My parents '00 JGC did the same thing but no one ever figured it out. They traded it for a van when my daughter was born. Having dealt with both these cars when I drove tow trucks for AAA I still think it's an electrical issue. The battery may just not have enough juice to get it going. Most people also don't realize that jumping from another car doesn't always work nowadays. I think it has to do with some of the electronics but don't quote me on that.

My parents '00 JGC did the same thing but no one ever figured it out. They traded it for a van when my daughter was born. Having dealt with both these cars when I drove tow trucks for AAA I still think it's an electrical issue. The battery may just not have enough juice to get it going. Most people also don't realize that jumping from another car doesn't always work nowadays. I think it has to do with some of the electronics but don't quote me on that.
I have encountered that problem with a battery that went totally dead but charged up. Forgot about that until you posted. Thanks, maybe I'll just pick one up since it's on the replacement list anyway.

Can't help you with the jeep but if you have a 07 Tahoe...seems I've been working on this since I got it...then again I've told myself I'm "investing" my money in this...though I'm not sure why sometimes..

If you're getting power at the starter it may be a faulty starter. Auto parts are mostly made in China these days and I have had a couple bad, new parts.

image.jpeg What Specific year? Grand Cherokee, or
Cherokee? 4.0L inline 6 cylinder?

Makes a difference to find out if starter solenoid is firewall mounted, or starter mounted.

The ignition feed wire that engages the solenoid might not be getting power from the ignition switch, neutral safety switch, or bad starter solenoid could be possibilities.

Need to see if the wire like the little tan one pictured is getting 12 volts when you turn the key to the crank position. Do you have a 12v test light?

Again..... Year, engine size, exact model and I can help you better.

Yeah, I think there's something with the ignition.
'98 Cherokee sport, 4.0 liter inline 6.
Starter and solenoid are sold and mounted together.
I jumped the first one with a screwdriver so I took it back as the solenoid was not working. But now with a brand new battery and a second starter I'm still getting nothing.
Packed it all up for the night but taking tomorrow off to get this thing rolling one way or another.
I can't possibly thank all of you enough for your help. I have eliminated a lot of stuff with your assistance.

Interesting video. Not so much the Jumpstart method, which I have done since the early 80s. I will say that I am always called stupid when I hook up a jump in the manner he does. Can not only keep the battery from exploding, but it can prevent you frying your alternator. I thought of this thread when he mentioned what voltage reading he says is a dead battery.