• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anything comparable to Van Winkle Family Rye?

slevy007

The Broke Smoker & 2006 Ash Standing Champion!
Hey guys,

Me and Rob 300C have been working our way through a bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye that i was lucky to get last week. So we are really liking this stuff, but obviously this bottle will be hard to replace..

Anyway, any Ryes that might match it? I figured this would be the place to ask...

Thanks in advance,
Steve

E.H. Taylor rye is supposedly pretty good (I'm not a fan of straight rye whiskey so I can't tell from a first hand experienced) I also had some sazerac 18 rye and it was pretty good ( If you can find it)

Finding another Family Reserve Rye will be difficult at best. The Michter's 10
Michters%2010%20Rye.JPG
is just about the same stuff as was the A.H. Hirsh 13 yo rye but were even more expensive at the time. The good thing is that because of that you can still see a Michter's once in a while and the Hirsch you'll never find..

The Van Winkle was bulk bought from Medley and Cream of Kentucky (both defunct now) back in the 80's and aged 18-19 years before being tanked in stainless in 2005.IMO there is nothing under $100 as good but the High West 16 is about 90% there and some limited edition Willettts (22 & 23 yo) do beat it but you pay for it. Some good rye at somewhat reasonable prices are Dad's Hat, Russel's Reserve, Templeton, of course Rittenhouse and I haven't quite made up m mind about the Knob Creek rye. The R1 is garbage for the money and the Wild turkey Rye is better then the Jim Beam rye for mixing.

Finding another Family Reserve Rye will be difficult at best. The Michter's 10
Michters%2010%20Rye.JPG
is just about the same stuff as was the A.H. Hirsh 13 yo rye but were even more expensive at the time. The good thing is that because of that you can still see a Michter's once in a while and the Hirsch you'll never find..

The Van Winkle was bulk bought from Medley and Cream of Kentucky (both defunct now) back in the 80's and aged 18-19 years before being tanked in stainless in 2005.IMO there is nothing under $100 as good but the High West 16 is about 90% there and some limited edition Willettts (22 & 23 yo) do beat it but you pay for it. Some good rye at somewhat reasonable prices are Dad's Hat, Russel's Reserve, Templeton, of course Rittenhouse and I haven't quite made up m mind about the Knob Creek rye. The R1 is garbage for the money and the Wild turkey Rye is better then the Jim Beam rye for mixing.

OK, Ill give the Michters a shot... There's a High West 16 rye? Is it still available? Thanks for the input AVB!

Steve

The Michters... the 10 is different than the US1?

Steve

... There's a High West 16 rye? Is it still available?
Steve

It's difficult to find at this point but not impossible. I found a couple bottles somewhere in upstate NY either earlier this year or late last year. It's worth the trouble. And yes, the Michters 10 is different than the US1. For starters it's more expensive. I usually see the 10 for around $80.

Yes.  I'd rather have Rittenhouse as the WFR seemed like it needed another 2 years.
blazedup said:
Have any of you tried the Willett Family Reserve Rye 4yr old?

Tuhilltown Spirits make a great Rye!

I'm not a liquor drinker, but I had this at an event once and loved...goes great with a good cigar!