• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Apartment smokers?

kodiak33

Theres got to be a few of you out there.. whats the word? Good, bad idea?

anyone have any tips on this? I'm doing it anyways.. just need to figure out how to eliminate smoke a little better.

There is nothing like smoking a fine cigar indoors this time of year out east.

I suppose an air purifier of some sort would be a good solution for getting rid of regular cigar smells in an apt setting.

At the top of the list of air purification devices are Ozone Generators, they are IMO the best at removing odors from the air. Infact, many professional restoration agencies use ozone generators to remove strong odors, such as the smoke from fire damage or musty odors after flood damage. However, they do have a drawback, Ozone Generators can drastically damage your health if you do not follow the directions. Actually, some very high output generators highly recommend that you actually leave the room when it is operating.

HEPA air purifiers are next on the list, I'd have to say they are the second best at removing odors from the air. Their drawback however is that they can get somewhat costly due to regular filter replacements, and also, some find them to be pretty noisy.

Third on the list of commonly available purifiers are Ionic air purifiers. Those require no filters to purchase, and are also dead silent. However, according to Consumer Reports, they do not work nearly as well as traditional HEPA units. In addition, from first-hand experience, I can tell you they do not make your apartment smell like an fresh April shower, as the many advertisements claim.
If your going to go this route, I'd suggest you get more than one.

If it were upto me, I would go with a variable setting Ozone Generator.
It is probably overkill, but just keep it on a low setting for normal smoking situations, and simply crank it up and shock treat the room if you happen to host a herf, or collect a really heinous odor in the apt.
Thats what I would get, but then again I am obsessive about cleanliness. :D

If this is just a one time situation, just get a can of Ozium, then leave the windows open for a couple of days.

I 've found the ionizers to be very effective with smoke.

BTW, I found a report by the EPA on Ozone Generators

It explains that ozone is harmful but they do admit to a report in 1995:

"While there are few scientific studies to support the claim that ozone effectively removes odors...Ozone is also believed to react with acrolein, one of the many odorous and irritating chemicals found in secondhand tobacco smoke (US EPA, 1995)."

a window fan in the window and febreeze. ;)

Leave the fan going for a hour and a half, to two hours for best results.

I smoke in my place and just put a fan in front of the door so no smoke escapes and bothers the neighbors, and one blowing out the window. The smell lingers for a day or 2, but I actually find it quite pleasant. Not stale like cigarette smoke, more like the smell of premium tobacco. Just make sure to ditch the ashes ASAP...they don't smell all that great.

1. Point fan to blow smoke towards open window.
  2. Frebreeze
  3. Csonka smoker cloaker on overnight

Of course, I live in Hawaii so the open window isnt a problem. Dont actually use a Csonka but I have a buddy who has one and can tell you it really works on odor. Actually I rarely smoke inside the house. I go out into the garage (the man cave). Have a 32" with cable hookup, DVD, dorm fridge, chair, table, etc. Everything I need to herf. :cool: When I do smoke indoors, it takes about a day for the smell to dissipate.

2. Frebreeze

Of course, I live in Hawaii so the open window isnt a problem. Dont actually use a Csonka but I have a buddy who has one and can tell you it really works on odor. Actually I rarely smoke inside the house. I go out into the garage (the man cave). Have a 32" with cable hookup, DVD, dorm fridge, chair, table, etc. Everything I need to herf. :cool: When I do smoke indoors, it takes about a day for the smell to dissipate.

Rub it in why don't ya... :angry:

:laugh:

2. Frebreeze

Rub it in why don't ya... :angry:

:laugh:

I guess that is one of the perks of living in Hawaii. Even with our statewide ban on smoking, there are still many places to smoke outside on the lanai. We dont need to smoke around any of those outdoor table heaters in the winter. Of course, there are draw backs too such as the high cost of living, 40% tobacco tax, have to fly whenever we want to go on vacation, etc. That being said, I still love it here.

What are your goals? No smell at all is hard to accomplish and requires planning and expense. Depends on what you're trying to accomplish and how much you want to spend to do it.

Everything from the furniture to the type of flooring will have an effect. Leather furniture will be better than cloth. Hardwood or tile flooring will be better than carpet. Woodblinds will be better than drapery....etc. Smoke eaters are expensive and not usually practicle for someone in an apartment. The biggest key to helping eliminate smoke odor is to dissipate the smoke as quickly as possible. The easiest and cheapest way to do this is to place a fan in front of the window blowing out. This will pull the smoke out the room. Do not place the fan across the room pointed at the window... this will just blow the smoke around the room. To help, smoking in close proximinty of the window and allowing the fan to take your smoke out the room quickly will help quite a bit. Also, immeadiately after you finish your cigar take the butt and extinguish it under running water and then remove it from the apartment along with the ashes. Do not try to extinguish it in the ashtray by smashing the ash. An ashtray of ash and butts the next morning is not something you want to wake up to.

Air cleaning machines are effective to a point. They are not as good at removing smell as they are at removing impurities. Most are charcoal based filters and need to be changed frequently to have a good effect on odor. They are best use in combination with other odor control.

Air freshners are masks and don't eliminate odor. They replace the odor with another.

I'm an apartment dweller, and don't find the opportunity to smoke inside very often.
I can usually get 'clearance' it it is particularly nasty out, or I'm smoking a pipe. I try not to make it a habit though.

However, back in the day I would smoke 1-2 cigars/bowls a day in my tiny dorm room, and had good luck with a four-phase plan.

1) vent. A box fan out my one window, and fairly close to my smoking area makes the biggest difference.
2) scrub. I had a dine-store hepa-filter running 24/7. I don't know that it DID anything, but the filter would get nasty quick, so I assumed it did.
3) Freshen. Ozium air purifier. This stuff is AWESOME. A quick blast in the room after I've smoked made it very livable.
4) dispose. The #1 stinky thing about smoking is the butts and ashes. I pitched these ASAP.

I'm sure my neighbors hated me though...

I smoke in my aparment (With carpet and leather furniture) every night. Cigar or pipe, if I have the window fan on for 1 to 2 hours after I'm done, dump the ashes soon after finishing, and febreeze a few times, it's gone by morning.

This question has been searched and talked to death. Search is your best friend, and also no nose is the same. Maybe I can't smell it, but you can. Find your own method and report any differences to us. ;)

Whenever my roommate and I smoke inside out apartment, we usually just open a window or two and have a fan blowing out. I follow the same principles with air flow in my apartment as I do in my computer case: Make sure more air is coming in than going out. The pressure difference will force the smoke out faster. Also, as stated before, be sure to get rid of the ashes ASAP. Don't just throw them in the kitchen trash can either; get those suckers outside.

I got this down pat, brother.

My landlord is cool (even commented on my nice desktop humi when he saw it once), so he doesn't care about smoking, but I still like to breathe fresh air when I'm done and not smell the now-rancid smoke of yesterday's Don Pepin or H. Upmann in the air.

The key to making sure you don't get the lingering smell is fresh air and negative pressure. Here's the easiest way to do it...

1.) Smoke in a room that has a window and is connected by a door to another room that also has a window.
2.) In the non-smoking, adjacent room, open the window a little (doesn't have to be flung open, cracked an inch or two is fine).
3.) Go back into the smoking room and close the door to open-windowed room behind you.
4.) Open up a window in the room you're in and put a fan in the window. The best are those little fans meant to fit in windows or just put an old box fan up in the window.
5.) Make sure the fan is blowing OUT or, if its one of those window units, set to "exhaust".

What you're doing there is creating negative pressure in the smoking room. Smoky air is being blown out and replaced by fresh air coming in from under the door of the non-smoking room.

If you do that, half an hour after you've finished a fine cigar, not even the pickiest nose will be able to tell you smoked in there.

I have never had any issues smoking cigars in an apartment complex, but that will soon change I would imagine. I hate this stigma against cigars that alot of people seem to have.