• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

APRIL TOBACCO OF THE MONTH- PENZANCE

bilder

The tobacco of the month for April is Penzance.

Light up a bowl (or two or three) and post your thoughts here.

On deck:

May- Haddo's Delight
June- Butternut Burley
July-Stanwell Melange

Smoked a bit of the Penzance gifted to me by Alan. Now, my noobie pallette is nowhere near able to pick out the different TYPES of tobacco, (yet), I did fully enjoy it, and found the overall impression of fruit very pleasant. No problem keeping it lit, nice cool, dry smoke in my Savinelli Semi-Churchwarden.

Alan gave me enough to fill this smaller bowl a few more times, but the first one was enough to know, I'm gonna be ordering more of this.

Smoked a bit of the Penzance gifted to me by Alan. Now, my noobie pallette is nowhere near able to pick out the different TYPES of tobacco, (yet), I did fully enjoy it, and found the overall impression of fruit very pleasant. No problem keeping it lit, nice cool, dry smoke in my Savinelli Semi-Churchwarden.

Alan gave me enough to fill this smaller bowl a few more times, but the first one was enough to know, I'm gonna be ordering more of this.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Keep in mind that that sample was from a tin that had been open for a little while. It is much wetter when first opened.

I'll post my review of this as soon as I smoke another bowl to refresh my impressions. UPS had better get the lead out and get here tomorrow or Thursday!

:laugh:

Also need some suggestions for the May and June tobaccos.

I vote for a good aromatic to mix things up a bit. I don't have any specific suggestions at this time, though.

Butternut Burley? (By far the best aromatic I've had)

Boswell's Berry Cobbler?

Any of a number of Boswell's aros?

Trout Stream?

Lane's 1Q?

Peterson's University Flake?

Like I said, I don't have a good suggestion, there are a lot of them out there and I'd be willing to smoke any of them at least once...

I've heard nothing but proclamations of the greatness of this English tobacco. After reading countless reviews and what a few in this forum have written, I have to agree whole-heartedly.
From when I first opened the tin until the last draw of the pipe, the experience was the best I've had since coming to the Briars.
First off, this tobacco comes as a mottled flake wrapped neatly in paper. Upon unwrapping the paper, I got an aroma of toasted raisins with a hint of Latakia. I knew I was in for quite a treat.
I gently rubbed out a bowlful and let gravity do the work. I packed it a little looser than other tobaccos.( A hint I took from Alan ;) At first, the moisture of the tobacco made for frequent re-lights. But after a few tries, it took right off and wasn't a problem here out.
The first thing I noticed was that toasted raisin. A real creamy toasty flavor. Throughout the bowl I experienced nuts, cocoa,anise, and a taste I can only describe as Fiddle Faddle. If you know what that is. A caramel nutty popcorny goodness. The Latakia was ever-present, but supported the Virginia and Orientals. Didn't over power them. Whoever blends this tobacco is a genius. Plain and simple.
This blend has now become the star of my rotation. I can't recommend this enough. My advice is to really spend some time with this tobacco. It should be smoked slow and cool. After a few bowls, I'm still discovering different things about Penzance.

Mike

I do have 2-3 samples if anyone needs. PM me.

I smoked a bowl the other night and didn't really care for it. So I decided to give it another try tonight and am really enjoying it. Maybe I was smoking it to fast the other night not sure. After the first bowl I wasn't sure I would try it again or not, but am glad I did now.

Sorry not to good at reviews.

It's hard to improve on Yanksfan's review. I, too, read all the rave reviews about this tobacco before buying a tin and I generally agree with the reviews. This is a fairly full English blend that allows the Orientals to come through--which works with my taste buds.

My only knock on Penzance--and this is an quirk of mine--is that it is a flake. I just generally don't like flakes as I find them harder to keep lit which can also lead to tongue bite. I haven't had a bite problem with Penzance, though. Also, the tin doesn't seal very well and the contents can dry out quicker than a tin with a plastic lid. I keep my Penzance in a sealed jar to protect against pre-mature drying out. But, the flake issue aside, I like this blend and will continue to buy and smoke it. It has a lot of character and, along with my favorite English blend, Squadron Leader, is at the top of my list of favorites.

Id love to get in on this.. I have been wanting to try Penzance since I started pipe smoking way way back in January. ;) My local B&Ms have no idea what i'm talking about when i ask them about it, which seems strange since it looks to be one of the highest rated tobacco's out there. Maybe I'm saying it wrong.. I have almost every tobacco Boswell makes and would be interested in trading a for a bowl of Penzance.. I also have some Dunhill EMP & Nightcap.. Anyone interested?

I've only been smoking pipes for a little over a month so I couldn't really give a proper review of Penzance so I won't even try, but I will relate some observations.

This, like all English blends I've had, seems to contain Latakia and has that heavy, smoky, barbecue-y smell before lit. The smoke is very heavy and full with lots of peppery spice, at least to my pallet. I rub out the flakes at least partially as I can't really make any sense out of the other methods of smoking flakes I've heard people speak of. If it is allowed to dry out a bit and is packed loosely I find it smokes pretty easily. However, I get a little more flavor from it when it's more moist. I think the room note is o.k but nonsmokesr will definitely hate it.

Like CPT/VSG, my main problem is that it is in flake form. It seems strange and I'm not at all sure I am preparing it correctly. Also, English blends and Latakia in general doesn't seem to be my favorite tobacco but when I'm in the mood for a full bodied English this isn't bad. I didn't have any problem with tongue bite and the nicotine seems low.

-mark

Id love to get in on this.. I have been wanting to try Penzance since I started pipe smoking way way back in January. ;) My local B&Ms have no idea what i'm talking about when i ask them about it, which seems strange since it looks to be one of the highest rated tobacco's out there. Maybe I'm saying it wrong.. I have almost every tobacco Boswell makes and would be interested in trading a for a bowl of Penzance.. I also have some Dunhill EMP & Nightcap.. Anyone interested?

PM me your address and I'll send you some tomarrow.

I can't add much here except to say that this is my favorite blend.

The smoky goodness of the latakia is clearly in front of a a very unique flavor. This is not a "room friendly" smoke and if you don't like latakia or other orientals you won't like this. I don't know if it's cased or not (there seems to be some disagreement about this) but there is a uniquely fruity kind of sweetness that I've never tasted in any other blend.

Penzance is a crumble cake, not a flake. It should be broken up and I have the best luck packing it on the looser side of firm. I also let this dry for a little while before smoking as it tends to be difficult to keep lit fresh from the tin.

It's definitely one to try if you haven't. This seems to be a blend that most REALLY love or don't really find remarkable.

Alan, you're right about it being a crumble cake and not a flake. As someone who used to smoke Krumble Kake from Smokers Haven, you'd think I'd know the difference. What I was really trying to say is that I don't like to have to rub out tobaccos--it takes some skill to get the density/thickness of the rubbed out tobacco right.

Alan, you're right about it being a crumble cake and not a flake. As someone who used to smoke Krumble Kake from Smokers Haven, you'd think I'd know the difference. What I was really trying to say is that I don't like to have to rub out tobaccos--it takes some skill to get the density/thickness of the rubbed out tobacco right.
I've never really paid any attention to the density/thickness. I just crumble it up and pack it. Maybe I just got lucky with it the first time! :laugh:

I smoked a second bowl this afternoon and really enjoy this tobacco. I'm learning to rub out the stuff over a piece of paper or a newspaper or I seem to get more in my lap than in the pipe. That being confessed, I find it to be a flavorful yet smooth smoke. I am letting it dry a little more as I have had a little trouble keeping it lit and it seemed a little "gurgle-prone." Still, I like it a great deal!
Unable to find it locally, I "googled" it and ordered a tin on line.