• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

AR-15 Building

Peekay

Interested in building an AR-15, especially with a possible administration change in policy coming up. Anyways looks like a lot of fun as well, like legos for adults. Just wondering if anyone else is interested in this type of stuff.

Interested in building an AR-15, especially with a possible administration change coming up. Anyways looks like a lot of fun as well, like legos for adults. Just wondering if anyone else is interested in this type of stuff.

Intrested, yes, but I bought mine already built from a friend.

I built my own last year. :) It was an awesome endeavor for me. Ar15.com had a lot of info and all that, if you can get over some of the egos there. I built mine out of a stripped DPMS lower, DPMS lower parts kit, RRA predator upper, ACE skeleton stock (rifle length), Burris low rings, and a Burris fullfield II 4.5-16x scope. :)

Don

I only play with big boy toys.

M1A1 all the way.

The only part that could be restricted would be the lower receiver; the part with the serial number. That, and high capacity magazines. The rest is just parts which there is very likely to be no restriction on.

Last time the administration went crazy on "black guns" I bought complete lower receivers and put 'em away in the safe until I could afford to complete my rifles. You'll have to buy the lower receivers, either stripped or complete, from someone with a FFL. If you are the least bit tight on cash, buying a receiver or two and a handful of magazines is a solid strategy.

I can't comment on the assembly part of your question as I bought complete lowers, and mated them with pre-assembled tops as the checkbook would allow. There are a million good resources for this on the web; If you're the least bit mechanically inclined from what I hear it's not a big deal. From what I know, getting the barrel headspaced properly is critical but I'd think any good gunsmith could help you out there.

....black guns are cool.... :cool:

Have fun - B.B.S.

The only part that could be restricted would be the lower receiver; the part with the serial number. That, and high capacity magazines. The rest is just parts which there is very likely to be no restriction on.

Last time the administration went crazy on "black guns" I bought complete lower receivers and put 'em away in the safe until I could afford to complete my rifles. You'll have to buy the lower receivers, either stripped or complete, from someone with a FFL. If you are the least bit tight on cash, buying a receiver or two and a handful of magazines is a solid strategy.

I can't comment on the assembly part of your question as I bought complete lowers, and mated them with pre-assembled tops as the checkbook would allow. There are a million good resources for this on the web; If you're the least bit mechanically inclined from what I hear it's not a big deal. From what I know, getting the barrel headspaced properly is critical but I'd think any good gunsmith could help you out there.

....black guns are cool.... :cool:

Have fun - B.B.S.

BBS dont count on it. One of the people running wants all semi autos banned.

I've put together a few now. Adult legos is a good analogy. The "key" point to remember is there are only a few shops that actually produce the majority of lower receivers. One factory could make receivers for half a dozen or more other companies. Off the top of my head, CMT makes all the receivers for Rock River Arms, STAG, Smith and Wesson, and Global Tactical. Stay away from the cast variety (buy forged). You can pretty much spend as much or as little as you want. Figure out the kind of shooting you want to do, then build a rifle (or several) :D Avoid Vulcan/Hesse arms like the plague! Hope this helps.

Billy

I did some serious research and ended up buying a S&W M&P. Flawless and the best one out there IMO. But if you are looking for a sweet 5.56 then I think you should check out the SIG SAUER 556. I bought one and OMG! They are bad to the bone.

BBS dont count on it. One of the people running wants all semi autos banned.
We don't disagree.

My understanding of what happens is that when "black guns" get "banned" is that the only part that is banned is the part that's under the control of the BATF, which is the serailzed receiver. You can buy bolts, barrels, firing pins, springs, stocks, etc. via mail order from a ton of different folks. Existing owners can buy the parts to maintain their weapons, but not the receivers.

They got after high capacity magazines through several means, the biggest of which was a ban on importation of the magazines. Domestically manufactured mags were still sold, though at high prices, when they could be found.

Long and short of it - buying receivers and high cap mags is IMHO a decent strategy.

PS: Botatch just had Glock mags for $13.88...... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

I did some serious research and ended up buying a S&W M&P. Flawless and the best one out there IMO. But if you are looking for a sweet 5.56 then I think you should check out the SIG SAUER 556. I bought one and OMG! They are bad to the bone.

Simply put, "you are a freak" enough said. :)

Jim

Going with an AR15 also known as the "Black Rifle" is a great choice. They are great for home defense, a good day of plinking at the range, and various other things. An AR15 is a gun that you can save a lot of money by buying the parts and assembling yourself, but it must be done right.

First off you need to spend good money on parts. No cheap $hit allowed here. If you are going to skimp on parts then just save the time, and buy a cheap AR. I would not go with anything DPMS/Panther Arms, Olympic Arms, or Colt. Colt makes SOME good stuff, but it's WAY overpriced. Rock River Arms, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, and Smith and Wesson all make some quality parts. Any of those are going to turn out to be a good rifle if properly assembled.

Before you start throwing parts together do your homework. If you know a friend that is into AR's then consult him IF he really knows what he's doing. You can buy top of the line parts, but if they are not assembled and fitted correctly then they are a waste. When you are putting an AR together from parts each individual part will have to be fitted. this is a pain in the a$$ but it makes a difference. There will be filing that has to be done, using some fitting compounds, etc, etc. Take your time getting it properly fitted. It WILL pay off in the end. You will definately want to consult a GOOD gunsmith with some of the work with the barrel. Be careful in your picking of a gunsmith as well. If you don't know about them, ask around.

Get good parts, and not cheap crap. Make sure everything is proplerly assembled and fitted, and you will have a good gun. When it's all said and done you don't save much money. It is a LOT more time to put into it, and not any better than a factory assembled gun (if from a good manufacturer). But you will have the added bonus of knowing that you got it where it is (good or bad depending on parts and workmanship). Good luck, and I hope this helps! :thumbs:
B

The scary part is that I don't know what the future holds for these rifles. In California they sound like WWII rifles having stripper clips with no mags. My only concern with building my own rifle is doing something wrong and having it slamfire and blow up.

This is the lower receiver I am thinking about BTW...

http://www.anvilarms.com/pc-36-19-stripped...r-receiver.aspx

The scary part is that I don't know what the future holds for these rifles. In California they sound like WWII rifles having stripper clips with no mags. My only concern with building my own rifle is doing something wrong and having it slamfire and blow up.

This is the lower receiver I am thinking about BTW...

http://www.anvilarms.com/pc-36-19-stripped...r-receiver.aspx

That'll work just fine. Anytime you can get a stripped forged lower for $100 or less is a good deal.

Billy

My guns are both Bushmaster weapons, and I'm very happy with the quality. Here's their lower. More expensive than the one you are looking at, but I do know that Bushmaster has quality stuff.

Have fun - B.B.S.

You have received a lot of good advice. Definitely check out ar15.com . You can look at all of the builds they have and get idea about which configuration you want and learn some of the lingo. Also be sure to get plenty of mags. I prefer the mags with the magpul follower because I think they are much easier to load. Good luck. :thumbs:

I know someone selling a Colt if intrested PM me.

I have a Colt and love it, but bushmasters are very nice guns.