• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Are all Thompson's Sh*t?

gardonk

So I'm a relative noob to the cigar world, looking to buy my first humidor. I don't want something small because I know I will outgrow it quickly but I have a limited price range. I found this humidor on craigslist, and although it looks nice I've read alot of shit about Thompson and am just looking to get some more opinions here. The guy said he would sell it for $40. So, it is worth it, and has anyone ever seen this one before (my searches turned up nothing)? Thanks in advance
http://capecod.craigslist.org/hsh/2279400420.html

So I'm a relative noob to the cigar world, looking to buy my first humidor. I don't want something small because I know I will outgrow it quickly but I have a limited price range. I found this humidor on craigslist, and although it looks nice I've read alot of shit about Thompson and am just looking to get some more opinions here. The guy said he would sell it for $40? So, it is worth it, and has anyone ever seen this one before (my searches turned up nothing)? Thanks in advance
http://capecod.craigslist.org/hsh/2279400420.html
1. Introduce yourself and fill out your about me.
2. Grab a seat and stay awhile.
3. Thompson is shit, as the rule of thumb goes, HOWEVER. My first humidor, 50 count, was from them and it worked fine and now I use it to store my pipe stuff. If youre going to get into cigars, get a nice one. Use the search for more info on getting your first humidor.

For $40 I say go for it!

My first humi, a 150 ct., came from an eBay auction.
Turned out it's a Thompson, and after I made a gasket
to seal it better, it holds rh very well. Used it for 5 yrs. now.

In fact, I use it for my high end Fuentes, like OpusX,
Ashton VSG/ESG, Anejos, Don Carlos and Hemi maduros.
Oh, the plume you'll find!

Chemyst :cool:

Clearly looks worth what he wants. I would also say do some shopping around and compare. I just bought a new 100ct from http://www.cubancrafters.com/index.php and so far so good.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I have been shopping around a bit, and have looked at the cuban crafters site. For the price of $40 which includes the digital hygrometer, the deal I can get on this one is hard to beat, but I just want to make sure I'm not buying a complete piece of shit humidor and essentially spending $40 on the hygrometer.

I have something similar, although from a different vendor . . . got it from a friend for shipping costs and have been using it for years. It's a handy size (you can fit a couple boxes underneath the top tray) and $40 is a fair price for it.

~Boar

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I have been shopping around a bit, and have looked at the cuban crafters site. For the price of $40 which includes the digital hygrometer, the deal I can get on this one is hard to beat, but I just want to make sure I'm not buying a complete piece of shit humidor and essentially spending $40 on the hygrometer.

Don't forget to salt test and calibrate the hygrometer! Doesn't matter if you spend $40 or $400 on a humidor if you can't trust the RH reading.

Alcohol based GE Bathtub Sealer, from Home Depot or Lowes.
Do not use the acrid smelling acid based caulk. Read the labels.

Chemyst :cool:

My opinion of Thompson is that as a company, they should be avoided like the plague! I have had, and have heard nothing but, horrible experiences with them.

With that said, the product I got from them was a travel humi that I sometimes still use today, not a bad product. I can't really speak for their regular humidors though.

I had a couple Cuban Crafters humidors, only 25 counts... they were nice but the hinges broke on the one before too long. My friend has a 25 count from Cuban Crafters and it's still holding up okay. Cuban Crafters was a decent company to deal with, far cry from Thompson.

My first humi was a Thompson, and it was pretty good but a little difficult to keep the rh stable. Thompson is really good at putting cheaper humidors in packages that make them seem really enticing to newbies. The bad thing is the cigars that come in the packages are garbage and it's pretty discouraging when your excited to get everything set up and light that first one up. My advice is just to steer clear all together.