• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Are Credit Card safe to use with cigar orders?

I use my cc online plenty.
I am a tech kinda geek.(its my job) I have my wirless router secure. I bank with a great institution that protects me. I pay almost all my bills online.

I have paid for many cigars from Thompson (whom I have never seen a reference here)
I now buy from other sources I have found from this site and have had no problem

I'm with ya on everything but Thompson's.

Have fun sending cash, Bill! :sign:

Whats with Thompson?
I Know there are some things I don't like......like their brands.....YUCK!!!!

I use a single credit card exclusively for online purchases and it is a card where I can check my balance online. I have NEVER had a problem with identity theft, fraud, etc. Just make sure the company is reputable and uses a secure connection (i.e., https://......). The only card I would be reluctant to use is a debit card attached to a checking account.

I am a tech kinda geek.(its my job) I have my wirless router secure. I bank with a great institution that protects me. I pay almost all my bills online.

I have paid for many cigars from Thompson (whom I have never seen a reference here)
I now buy from other sources I have found from this site and have had no problem

Whats with Thompson?

Ditto on the YUCK but can we forget their low, low, low prices on cigars?? :whistling:

ed; They do make a nice cap though.

Whats with Thompson?

I made my very first online purchase from them. They called my house daily for a week while I was at work. They refused to leave any message and refused to talk to my wife. They continued to call off and on for several weeks, even after being asked not to. I've noted that their prices aren't very good either.

when sending cash, do you just put it in the envelope, wrap it paper so it doesn't show through, use one of those privacy envelopes? how do you hide that there's cash in there? what about the coins? tape them or let roll loose?

I just use a regular envelope and wrap the cash in one or two pieces of paper. Sometimes I tape the coins to the paper inside the envelope and sometimes I do not.

I usually send cash when making purchases from other BOTLs, but not for large vendors. Bill, do you send cash for those purchases also? If so, have you ever had any issues? I can't imagine sending cash to CI, Tampa Sweethearts, etc. I especially can't envision sending cash to any overseas vendor.

Whats with Thompson?

How about the fact that they stalk you the minute you order from them. I made my first noobler purchase from them 7 or 8 YEARS ago (I was young and stupid) and I STILL get their catalogue and an occassional call from them even though I've moved TWICE and have changed my phone number more than once. They called me non-stop for nearly two months after I bought from them until I finally said "You're humidor sucks and your free "cigars" taste like crap! Quit calling me!!"

IM big on M.O. No cash..

CC for larger purchases.

When a money order gets destroyed, you're screwed. If cash gets ripped or destroyed in a mail sorting machine, it's very easy, you go to the bank and they give you new cash WITHOUT a $20.00 replacement fee.

when sending cash, do you just put it in the envelope, wrap it paper so it doesn't show through, use one of those privacy envelopes? how do you hide that there's cash in there? what about the coins? tape them or let roll loose?

I just use a regular envelope and wrap the cash in one or two pieces of paper. Sometimes I tape the coins to the paper inside the envelope and sometimes I do not.

I usually send cash when making purchases from other BOTLs, but not for large vendors. Bill, do you send cash for those purchases also? If so, have you ever had any issues? I can't imagine sending cash to CI, Tampa Sweethearts, etc. I especially can't envision sending cash to any overseas vendor.

An "overseas vendor?" Why would you ever need to buy anything from an overseas vendor? ???

An "overseas vendor?" Why would you ever need to buy anything from an overseas vendor? ???

Because some of the best cigars are made in France....and they are overseas.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....but on a serious note. If you use your credit card for other purchases, why would cigar orders be any different? I personally use my cc for most of my purchases.

p.s. the laughter was not for the question but for the France comment

I have been using my credit card for about seven years now for pretty much all my purchases including online retailers. I never had a problem until early this year. Somehow my information got into the wrong hands and within the course of two weeks I got charges from Video Professor, Bidz.com, Stamps.com and other ramdom places totaling up to something like $250. Luckily my financial institution was really good about disputing these charges and everything was cleared off. I still use it now even though I'm a little hesitant, but I'm so accustomed to it that I wouldn't want to pay any other way.

I have been using my credit card for about seven years now for pretty much all my purchases including online retailers. I never had a problem until early this year. Somehow my information got into the wrong hands and within the course of two weeks I got charges from Video Professor, Bidz.com, Stamps.com and other ramdom places totaling up to something like $250. Luckily my financial institution was really good about disputing these charges and everything was cleared off. I still use it now even though I'm a little hesitant, but I'm so accustomed to it that I wouldn't want to pay any other way.

I would cancel the card and request a new one with a new number.

I set up an account with Bill Me Later, and everywhere I shop online takes them, so all I have to do is mark a box for them, and pay their bill with a check. It's like using a Bill Me Later credit card, but I don't have to enter any of my info. Going on 5 years using them, and (knock on wood) no problems so far.

I would cancel the card and request a new one with a new number.

Forgot to mention that...I did end up getting a new card, same bank though.

I've had one case were my number was mysteriously hijacked, bank made good and cancelled it, issued another. I would just say check to make sure the site is secure, then you'll be good.

Once again, you're right greatful1, sorry about that. :blush: I LOVE French cigars! :thumbs:

I figure that I am usually in better hands going through a reputable online system with my credit card than half the people I give my credit card to in restaurants. They take it to the back and do who knows what with it.

-gp

I had my American Express card duplicated a number of years ago by a gas jockey who was connected to a street gang. With the duplicated card, they made 3 purchases on the same day at the same electronics store in Hong Kong (of all places) to the tune of a total of $15,000. AEx caught the unusual activity right a way and cancelled my card and contacted me to let me know what was happening.

Credit card fraud can happen anywhere - online or offline - and to me, the best protection after your own due dilligence is the credit card companies own security practices as was the case in my experience. And should something untoward happen, the credit card company is just a 1-800 number away.