• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Are you addicted, or is this just a hobby?

dannymer1974

I am a newbie to this hobby, and am wondering if any of you out there feel physically addicted to Cigars like a person becomes addicted to cigarettes.

How many Cigars do you smoke per day/week? I currently smoke just 2-3 per week, but am eager to try a lot of different cigars. However, I would prefer to keep this as an optional hobby rather than a habit.

I have seen some other posts on this type of information, but am looking for some fresh responses.

Little bit of both...

All I know since I joined this place I smoke a lot more cigar than I did before.

But still not more than 5 a week.

And yes people can and do get addicted to cigars, I have a friend who smokes or chews at least 5 cigars A DAY! Then again a box of his cigars only costs around 10 bucks.

Little bit of both...

All I know since I joined this place I smoke a lot more cigar than I did before.

And yes people can and do get addicted to cigars, I have a friend who smokes or chews at least 5 cigars A DAY! Then again a box of his cigars only costs around 10 bucks.
Shawn, you are an addict. What happened to all that rehab? You have to admit the problem and then you will enjoy the smokes :laugh:

Danny, I smoke 2 a day, usually one between 10 and 12 am and another between 4 and 6 PM. Am I addicted, hell yes. Unlike my good friend Shawn, I am admitting my evil ways.

Brian

Little bit of both...

Shawn, you are an addict. What happened to all that rehab? You have to admit the problem and then you will enjoy the smokes :laugh:

Danny, I smoke 2 a day, usually one between 10 and 12 am and another between 4 and 6 PM. Am I addicted, hell yes. Unlike my good friend Shawn, I am admitting my evil ways.

Brian

LOL I said a little of both bro, yes I am addicted, but as long as I can call it a hobby in front of my wife and get away with it, its all good. :cool:

more mentally addicted than physical, haven't smoked in 2 days (i only smoke in the evenings), had people over both nights. I don't smoke unless i have the time necessary to smoke my choice of the evening. To me, it's all about the relaxation...
Working on cutting back to 2 a week

Easy with the "A" word fellas.....this is a hobby and nothing more :)

Oh, 'bout 3 a week for me.

I smoked cigarettes for ten years. At my peak before quitting about thirteen years ago, I was up to a pack and a half a day. Now that was addiction, I could not go a couple of hours without extreme withdrawls/cravings.

I was worried when I picked up cigars a few years later that I would go through it again. I don't ever feel those same urges at all. I sometimes go a few weeks with a hectic schedule without a cigar. The only craving I get is to be able to have that time to reflect while enjoying something I really love.

When I started smoking cigars I worked myself into a tizzy trying anything I could find that sounded good. I did get somewhat "addicted", but not to the nicotine just to the ritual and relaxation time. Hell, I was smoking one or two a day and three or four a day on the weekend. There's nothing wrong with that it was just too much for me. Now I'm lucky if I can get in three a week but that's plenty enough for me. Of course, it has no relation to coming here, being introduced to the finer cigars and making the move from $60-70 boxes to $200-400 boxes. Geez, thanks guys :( :thumbs: .

I smoke 3 -5 a week and it is a hobby. I think the only addiction I have is to the relaxed state that I am in when smoking.

I recently had to give up coffee (10 cups a day) and alcohol (3-4 drinks a day), so giving up cigars would be much easier.

Ken

I smoke 3 -5 a week and it is a hobby. I think the only addiction I have is to the relaxed state that I am in when smoking.

I recently had to give up coffee (10 cups a day) and alcohol (3-4 drinks a day), so giving up cigars would be much easier.

Ken

Nice that you gave all that up....I'm sure women are next!

:laugh: :laugh:

oh - a few times a week.

I'm 2 a week on average. I've been above average on the last week and a half, but I'll come back down.

2 per week in the spring and summer (Friday night after dinner before it gets dark, Sunday afternoon around 5-6pm after yard work is done and the Golf on t.v. is finished). Unless I can find a place indoors that is not my home, I don't even smoke in the winter. What I am addicted to is and hour or so of peace and quiet that lets me really reflect on my week past, mt week ahead, and my life in general.

I smoke an average of 2 per week, but that is mainly because right now I have a limited supply. Once I receive all the sticks that I ordered, I might up to 1 per day because I greatly enjoy the hour of relaxation that comes along with smoking the cigar and I am still sampling all the flavors and learning what I like.

During the week, I'm typically a "one a day" guy, but only if I have the time to enjoy it. Last event of the day, if it all works out, is me on the deck in the cool of the evening, relaxing and unwinding with a great smoke. But - if there's no time, I certainly don't feel compelled to do so and have gone several days without when things didn't work out. As others have said, it's the relaxation and reflection time I look forward to and the smoke only enhances it.

On weekends, sometimes I get to splurge a bit. My wife leaves for work very early Sunday AM and I often start the day outside, great cup of fresh coffee in hand, with a cigar. Watching the sun come up and hearing the sounds of the neighborhood as the day begins is really a nice time. Same comments apply here; it's all about the relaxation and if I'm busy / not in the mood, I sure don't feel compelled to do so.

Regards - B.B.S.

Just which addiction are you talking about? The one where I smoke one to two cigars a day depending on the weather? Or maybe the one that dials my phone every time Al starts a feeding frenzy? Or possibly the one that has me spending a couple hours a day monitoring this site?

Edit to say: Nevermind, it's all a hobby ;)

i would call it more of a pasttime... I have a friend who is my smoking buddy and we pretty much only smoke around each other or when other cigar smokers are around. Everyone else thinks we're snobs. :)

Just which addiction are you talking about? The one where I smoke one to two cigars a day depending on the weather? Or maybe the one that dials my phone every time Al starts a feeding frenzy? Or possibly the one that has me spending a couple hours a day monitoring this site?

Edit to say: Nevermind, it's all a hobby ;)

I float in this boat too.

Is there a physical addiction? No. I can say I very much enjoy the relaxing while I smoke. Much like watching a beautiful sunset or sitting on the back porch listening to the rain on a tin roof during a thunderstorm.

Is it something I would miss, Absolutely!

Seth

My level of consumption fluctuates as my schedule changes. At one point I was good for 2-3 a day and 3-4 on the weekends. Now, having just had a son born and taking off from work to be with him and my fiancé, I'm lucky to smoke 3 a week. Noteworthy is that I don't experience anything in the way of withdrawal symptoms as I reduce my intake. I just miss the relaxation and enjoyment. Of course I do have other enjoyable things to focus on now. Also, what might be worth mentioning is that I do not inhale. I know the nicotine is absorbed into my body none the less, but I presume at much lower rates then if I did inhale.

I try to smoke 3-5 cigars a week and if I can find time to do that it means I am keeping things under control, and not letting the rat race that is life slip away without taking time to enjoy it.

Yep, I am addicted to the lifestyle, the hobby, and the brotherhood that is being a cigar smoker. Since starting back into the hobby last September, I not only have hundreds of cigars and new found knowledge, but I also have many new friends thanks to this community. One of the aspects that is so appealing, especially to new smokers who join this forum, is the brother/sisterhood that we have here. You hear story after story of noobs who say that they just can't believe how we bomb each other, or take care of each other when in need. This kind of camaraderie is unmatched and is what keeps most of us here day after day.

So yes, color me addicted! :thumbs:

ditto what knuck said. I probably do 3 a wk but can go a week without touching one with my schedule and not be phased.