• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aristocrat Maintenance Day

duglynukem

Nuclear Advocate
I've had this humidor for 6+ years. I hate to admit it but it took me three years to remember to do maintenance the first time. Fortunately there was nothing abnormal. So now I try to be more regular and follow Bobs advice.

Had a free day today, so I performed my annual maintenance. Sounds simple until you pull all those cigars and boxes out and then try to fit them all back in again. Amazing how many sticks I find that I thought were all gone.

Bob recommends:

The only maintenance required is to occasionally change wicks in the humidifier if they develop mold. I would suggest you vacuum out the rear cooling unit fins once a year to clear the dust bunnies out of the fins & fan. A can of compressed air for computers is helpful also in this task. The inside fins usually remain clean.

For the case, an occasional wax or polish & thats it.

So I changed the wick and cleaned the rear cooling unit fins.

Additionally, I disinfect the reservoir. I use a half tsp of bleach in about a quart of water, then thoroughly rinse with distiller water.

Do you have a picture posted anywhere of your humidor? I did maintenance on mine about two weeks ago.

About freakng time to get rid od dust bunnies, have or make room for reindeer bunnies . Tis the season brother!

Very cool thanks for the run down I will have to do this with my humi.

Capt J said:
Do you have a picture posted anywhere of your humidor? I did maintenance on mine about two weeks ago.

Yup. In the gallery/ Humidors

Tall Paul said:
Very cool thanks for the run down I will have to do this with my humi.
You're welcome. It's a good indoor project when it's crappy out.

I'll tell you one other thing I highly recommend.  If your cabinet is like mine, there are terminal strips on the back of the cabinet where the power supply / solid state relays / fans / pelt coolers / etc. all terminate.  You would do well to get a small screwdriver on every terminal screw and make sure they are snug.  I had a pelt fan go out, did the swap myself, found things could use a little tightening.  I've started doing this every couple of years.

duglynukem said:
Additionally, I disinfect the reservoir. I use a half tsp of bleach in about a quart of water, then thoroughly rinse with distiller water.

Call me overly cautious, but I don't like using chlorine for this task.  Yes, I get it that water is routinely chlorinated, but laundry bleach has lots of other stuff in it...read the label.  What I've done in the past was to get a bottle of Everclear (190 proof) and use that to disinfect the humidifier.  But, honestly, short of one time where I had some bogus distilled water and both wicks grew blue hair, it's been pretty clean in there.  Haven't even replaced the wicks in a couple years...and yes, I've taken them out and looked at them.

BlindedByScience said:
I'll tell you one other thing I highly recommend.  If your cabinet is like mine, there are terminal strips on the back of the cabinet where the power supply / solid state relays / fans / pelt coolers / etc. all terminate.  You would do well to get a small screwdriver on every terminal screw and make sure they are snug.  I had a pelt fan go out, did the swap myself, found things could use a little tightening.  I've started doing this every couple of years.
Great tip! Just don't over tighten.

I did this same maintenance middle of last month as well.  Took all the reservoirs out, washed and scrubbed with dish soap, rinsed, re-filled with distilled water.  Changed the wicks to new ones.  The only concern I have with using compressed air is many have bitterants to prevent abuse, and thats NOT something you want floating around in your humidor.

I bought a small air compressor from Harbor Freight Tools for about $50.00 on sale.  Yes, its a cheapie, but I can use it to air the tires in the car and blow stuff out.  It's also small enough that it's relatively easy to pack around to where I want to use it.

Here it is, on sale.  If that's all I ever do with it, it'll pay for itself in the savings of buying cans of air pretty quickly.  FWIW....

Every household needs a compressor................good purchase Brother. :D

Hey Blinded,
I've had my Aristocrat since 2006 and I need to clean and tighten and air blow/compressor.  Thanks for this great post. 

Dust bunnies might have a few litters by now!!!